Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Jersey QQ license plate help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sixcarb, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Jesus Christ, way to gang up on me. For all i remember i took shots of the milage and from what i thought they needed them.

2. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

from njdmv ...
    Historic vehicles are at least 25 years old, used only for exhibition
    purposes and registered with “QQ” license plates.

Collector cars display two standard license plates, and have a triangular
    decal on the front left windshield, that are valid for two
    years. Limited-use collector status insurance applies. This status
    must be renewed every two years, by providing proof the vehicle
    is not driven more than 3,000 miles annually.

3. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

If you drive to Trenton and go to their office you can walk out with the plates in hand. Did it one time cause I didn't want to risk missing a car show I wanted to go to. Piece of cake, it took about 10 to 15 min. Oh yea, didn't need a picture of the milage either.

4. greasy Tony

greasy Tony
    from NJ

dude--just take any pic-they just look at them then give them back to you--i have been doing this for yrs--good luck

5. built to drag

built to drag

hey been through this a few times. QQ plates. 1 st step: get insurance from a collector car company. i use grundy and determined they are the best (condonskelly sucks). you send grundy 2x 3/4 shots. what he car is worth to you. And the milage. they have two rules its not a work vehicle and you need to keep it under 3000 miles per year.
    Next step you go to DMV in trenton, you need 6 points of ID (marrage lic, reg lic, state issued birth certifacate, proof of residency like a gas bill etc) you show this at the front desk and get clearing to wait on the normal line. Now you will need your ins card, possibly the two pics of the car. ( they never asked me but best be safe) The registration is standard you pay your 45 dollars for a car 75 for a truck every year like clockwork. They will give you a registration and two other things a temporary pink card this is you lic plate proof and it goes in your dash,(until the QQs are mialed to you if they do not have them there at the time) they will also give you a inspection voucher. this voucher you take to the ins station for an odometer reading. At the station they cant bust your balls for any thing ( possibly if you run fenderless) i never got busted but any thing is possible. They take you milage reading then ask you to drive around the block and take it again to varify it works. * now if you just put that new autometer or sun what ever you have in the car and it says 8 miles on it thats what you will go by, for inspection. it doesnt matter if you told the dmv it had 50 k on it. The only time its a problem is selling the car ( people question the milage, but if they are worried about that chances are they are not meant to have a custom) remember trucks are 20 year cars are 25

that was for QQ

now collector car plates. These will cover any year vehicle i have them on my trucks a 92 and 93 and had them on a 97.

YOu get insurance from Grundy or who ever you choose. but grundy will def honor it. GO to the local DMV not renton, every thing is the same 6 points of id etc, you go to the line all the way to the right. tell them you are registering a collector car. they will tell you GO TO TRENTON. this is very WRONG and they are stupid and dont know their own system. this can be done locally all trenton does is handle the QQ plates. you register the vehicle like any other car, you get regular plates not QQ. same deal you get a voucher, go to ins station and they do the same thing as QQ, you get a triangle inspection sticker, and your exempt from having to have any emissions done testing etc. IF a cop stop s you for ride height your exempt since it under 3 k.

so you registraion is anual, your ins is every two years and 6k.

In some situations they may want to install an odometer lock. this has never been an issue for me and i have no clue how it is done or why.

This is a very cool thing and not to be abused!!! You can reg you newer vette mustang what ever you want.

for me its a way to keep my trucks on the road cheap.

Grundy gives dicounts for multiple vehicles, too. i currently have 4 vehicles with them and the bill is never over 1000 a year for all 4.

This in a nut shell is what you should expect to go through and is exactly what i went through.

6. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Sixcarb,
    I suggest you ignore the posts on this thread and call up the DMV before going. The info that Built To Drag posted re QQ plates is absolutely not what I went thru. There was no pink slip or mileage check, no inspection of any kind for QQ plates and Grundy does not have a mileage limit, only that your car is not a daily driver.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I guess the onlly thing I need to work on is pics with fenders, I pulled this from there website.

Vehicles exempt from inspection

Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.

The following vehicles are exempt from diesel emission inspection requirements:
    Contractor equipment in transit
    Farm vehicles
    Vehicles operated by a county, municipality, fire district, or duly incorporated non-profit organization and used for first aid, emergency, ambulance, rescue or fire-fighting purposes

Historic vehicles
    General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
    At least 25 years old
    Used only for exhibition purposes or manufactured before 1945
    Specially registered with a QQ plate displayed on the rear of the vehicle

Collector vehicles
    To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
    Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
    Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year (proof available at odometer reading)
    Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
    To qualify for an exemption:
    Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
    Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
    Call MVC at (609) 292-6500 or toll-free in New Jersey at (888) 486-3339 for an application and submit completed application to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
    Collector Vehicle
    P.O. Box 016
    Trenton, NJ 08666-0016

8. built to drag

built to drag

Hey not sure when you went and did this but thats what i have been through recently. For the QQ the milage check was only for the initail time, but for collector car its every 2 years. I agree he should call and check also, but some times you call and get different answers from different people. I had never had probs with QQ but with collector car they look at you like you have 3 heads. Its best to know what you are dealing with and be one step ahead of them. And the best thing you can do is get some one thats speaks good english.

9. built to drag

built to drag

thats very close to what i said!!!!! believe me it can be confusing at first but when your done., you say " that wasnt so bad"