Register now to get rid of these ads!

New guy Intro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41ChevyTrucker, Nov 4, 2003.

1. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

New guy here. I have seen posts and visited here from RRT where lots of good people have helped me in my quest to build a 1941 Chevy truck rod. I have been slowly working on it for over a year now still gathering up parts and learning tons as I go. This is my first real rod and I don't really know anyone local to me that builds rods so I spend alot of time online. Anyone else on here from Seattle or nearby? I live in Sammamish right next to Redmond.

Anyway hoping to learn more stuff and help other people out too when I can. I have some pics of my truck on my website at L3x.com

personal stats:
    born in NJ, grew up in High Desert of CA, then to San Diego for 6yr then to Seattle last 5yr. Age 30, Married, 1 kid and 1 in the oven.

Attached Files:

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Kool rig...showing alot of promise..welome aboard. [​IMG]

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ya know new guy...putting kids in the oven is akin to abuse... [​IMG] be careful with that...I do know what ya meant tho.
    The truk looks good...and there are several guys on board that are in the Seattle area...stay tuned.
    So what do you do for a living...and does it mean moving around?
    FWIW, welcome the The House of HAMB!!!
    R-

4. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

cool thanks for the welcome msgs! yeah I guess I have moved around a little. [​IMG] I cut code for a living, writing web based apps and database design. jumped on the internet bandwagon in 1998 and still riding but my dream has always been to design and build cars.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

welcome! cool looking truck! I have seen one of these where a guy installed late model mercedes lamps for the headlights. They looked like they belong in there. I built a 50 chevy a few years ago.
    keep us updated.

6. the duke

the duke

Welcome aboard the HAMB express! hope you like it here i sure do!

7. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Welcome aboard. Watch out for "Unkl Ian." He's from Canada and is half nuts!!!! [​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Hi Eric, glad to have ya on board here. Lots of great folks with tons of knowledge to share. Your going to enjoy yourself here.

9. Welcome- that top is a great look for that cab.I dont really know much about that sorta thang, [​IMG] but the voices I heard said that was the way they should look.........

10. old beet

old beet

Welcome, I work out of Redmond, cool truck. I drive a chopped F-1, flat black and layin on the ground. Maybe I'll see you out that way. Let me know when ya need glass I can fix you up. ..........OLDBEET

11. slider

slider

Hi,
    Hey I'm building a 46 chevy 1/2. Not with a chop though, going to do that to the sons 49. If you need anything just drop a line and I might have it sitting around.

12. Kustm52

Kustm52

Welcome! I recognize that from the RRT.....If I ever get time to start whacking on my '41 I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions....I really like the rake on the windshield.

Brian

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Welcome, there are a lot of us around here but don't know anybody building a French truck like you are. How do you pronounce Chevy? (LOL) You'll like it here. Lots of knowledgable people and some real idiots too. Be careful about who's advice you take. Good luck with your project, looks great so far. dirty dug

14. moondisc

moondisc

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya know new guy...putting kids in the oven is akin to abuse... [​IMG]
    R-

[/ QUOTE ]

I love children....Especially when they're well done!
    W.C.Fields

Oh yeah, welcome Eric!

15. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

thanks for the welcomes and compliments on my chop. the slant back was more work than I expected but I'm a better man for it. lol. glad to help with any of your chops if I can. yeah there we go some RRT names I recognize [​IMG]

old beet, I need to talk with you. I have my windshield templates ready to go and will have the side and back done this weekend. you work at a glass place in Redmond? I'll see if I can pm you through here.

dirty dug that is "ch'ehvee" to you [​IMG]

16. Welcome aboard from a 46 owner.

I've visited your website before that detailed your chop, maybe someday my roof will come down too.

17. Welcome Eric. There are a lot of Seattle area people on here. Nice chop job! What kind of bed are you gonna use to finish it off? There's a little known hot rod shop in Carnation called Speed Merchants. Scott Baron is the owner and a great guy. Stop in sometime and introduce yourself. He's right downtown on the main drag.

18. from a fellow great north westerner,welcome aboard!!
    the Reverand

19. Wecome Cool lookin ride, my wife whats a pickup 2rod
    (48 ford ) mines just an old Shoebox. the chop looks killer2. Wecome Mark.

20. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

coupeHead, no plans for a bed just yet. It was a flatbed originally. my plan is to stretch the frame for a total wheelbase of around 12 feet and use a four link setup to hold the rear on so I can keep the frame height as compact as possible and have the tires be the farthest thing hanging out the back. I kind of have this wierd image of what I want in my head and it has something do with a semi-truck pulling a double drop deck trailer. My Dad was a trucker so I have that mean truckin' style in my blood. lol [​IMG]

RE: the Carnation rod shop. I stopped at that shop when I was out riding once! I have been meaning to go back with my truck when I get it back on the road. Those guys online?

hey dreamweaver, any more pics of your 46?? I like what I see in that profile image.

21. Welcome....I'm doing a 36 chevy pickup and was planning to chop it the same way you did yours...angle the posts.

Attached Files:

22. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

hey cool! recently I have been thinking that 1936 is one of the best years for the chevy truck. nice flat windshield but with curved edges and you can't beat that grill. IMO

I'm no chop expert.. maybe you are? if so excuse my blab [​IMG] but here are some things I learned. The first thing I did wrong when slanting my posts was to cut a chunk from the the center of the posts first. If (I mean when) I do my next one I would cut them out as a complete unit at the roof and cowl and then later figure out how much to shorten them after you position the rest of the roof. another thing that was tricky was the fact that the cab is wider at the roof than down by the cowl. I think this difference may be more prominent on 40 and later cabs though but yours kind of looks like it has it too.

This pic shows where I cut and how I had to piece it back together. you can see how I moved the lower portion outward. another hard part about the slant was shaping the rounded portion at the lower front of the side windows in order to make it flow nicely. I did lots of mig-fill, grinding and patchwork to get the profile correct. I still could do some more. A metal pro would probably just hammered out a new curve.

anyway post some photos when you get in to yours.

cheers

23. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Hey 41 welcome to the HAMB!

So when is the one in the oven expected to pop out?

The photo you took at the Unfinished Nats of my suburban, my kid and the one you have in the oven caught my wife's eye just an hour ago.

She asked if yours had been born yet. I guess not if its still in the oven...

24. Speed Merchants do not have a website if that is what you mean by online. Scott is a HAMBer but says he has no time 2 post or read and such. He builds motorcycles, rods and horse trades old tin.