Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New Guy intro with 64 ford econoline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ben doran, Aug 14, 2017.

1. ben doran

ben doran

Hello I am in Orange County and picked up a 64 econoline van that was updated to V8, 9" rear, front discs and some other driving enhancements. I was able to see a great thread about someone else that did this, but the pics don't seem to be available to view. I will post some more of mine real soon. I was wondering about adding power steering, I can't find info anywhere. The brakes work but I have to give it a very firm press. I did a 54 ranch wagon with discs up front and it felt like a new car. The econoline lacks a booster, which the ranch wagon had. I can't find any info on that either. Great to join the group I will have some detailed threads ahead, as I just picked the van up this weekend. There was some really interesting work that was done to this thing to accommodate the V8. Pretty sure its a 302, but it looks like a 502 when stuffed into that little area. Peace and Love VAN.JPG .

2. Far out man. Great picture

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Nice van,ahhh the 60's.Lots of fun back then.

4. That's a nice-looking ride. Congrats! We'll be looking forward to more pics as you are able to post them.

ben doran likes this.

5. metalman

metalman

Cool little van. Just what we all wanted when I was in high school (early 70's), still want one today!

6. Nice.... I knew a guy in the late 60s that had one, he dropped a 271 horse 289/4-speed into his. Used the stock column manual linkage for first through fourth, added an overdrive cable to get reverse. Could pull the front wheels off the ground with the right launch...
    Yeah, the V8 is a tight squeeze.

7. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

She's a beaut Clark!

ben doran likes this.
  8. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

I do like those vans. Looks good. I'd have something like that to cart all my work gear in.
    But its a little young for hotrod classification.

5window likes this.
  9. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Yep, took the words right outta my mouth!

It seems like you just need the booster for the brakes. Power steering will require more work.

10. leghorn

leghorn

Your Econoline looks great. You'll have a ton of fun with it. Putting a booster on it might be a challenge, but if you do; show how you got it done.

pat59 likes this.
  11. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

Where are the pics of the inside of this shagging wagon

quick85 likes this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

Nice little ride. Have Fun with it!

13. Groovy
    "Keep on Truckin"

14. If this van's a rockin' , (it probably means I'm having a seizure)

That is a cool ride. Now that's a breath of fresh air.

I'm in agreement with others. Interior pics! Some with the cover off.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

41rodderz and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sweet! I have the next gen flat nose Ford van with manual steering and brakes. One easy thing that really helped was a steering wheel knob (necking knob, suicide knob), makes for quicker steering in parking lots etc.. Getting a power steering pump in there might be tough. They have electric power steering now, maybe that's an option. And you may be able to change your brake master cylinder for one with more optimal sizing, or change your pedal leverage.

16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

17. When I had my Shop in Tucson, AZ.
    I had a Customer that Had I think it was a 64 Six Cylinder
    with a 4 Speed on the Column, you Don't see them that Often
    Thats how it Came from the Factory.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

18. I have had tons of fun in the old Econolines & Dodge A-100s,,love them. HRP

19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I dug having my van. Your's looks kool.

20. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Welcome to the "HAMB"! That's a great van, someone has done a lot to it already. In 71 when I was in high school, I put a hypo 289, hopped up C4 in a 63 Club Wagon. Also had similar results with the brakes. I had drums all around and put a smaller size wheel cylinder front and back, made all the difference in the world. Still had the stock master cylinder though, does your still have that? If it does you might want to research it a bunch and upgrade to a dual master. I have come across a few pictures of fabricated pedal mounts, long rod style master cylinder mounts over the years. You need to decide how far into it you want to go. Brakes can take time to sort.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1961-econoline-dual-master-cylinder-conversion.479511/
    http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/?product=econoline-master-cylinder-adapter
    Here's a little info, I would do it if I was doing it again.
    If that's already done, you can drop a size in the master cylinder for more pressure.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  21. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Nice van! I learned to drive in one of these. I was 6, and sat in my Dad's lap and held the steering wheel of his olive-drab Bell Telephone van.

If you want power brakes and there's not a lot of room, consider a hydroboost system.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/brakes/0601sc-hydro/

22. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Your No-Tell Motel looks good. Would love to have another one.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shagadelic and very right on man! Word of warning, don't turn on a black light in the back until you thoroughly scrub it down with bleach and disinfectant. It will likely look like a glow in the dark Jackson Pollock paining.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I think I remember my van. Sorta hazy.

25. 5window

5window

Love the van, not a hot rod.

If you'd posted this on the HAMB ten years ago, it wouldn't have lasted 5 responses. Very cool ride, but...

X38 likes this.
  26. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Mine was a hot rod for 1971, 14 flat @ 100mph. In a box no less!

Spoggie likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't come a knockn' when this vans a rockn'

28. ben doran

ben doran

Here is a few more pics. Have to tackle some wiring issues, one of the wire bundles was quite warm to the touch after removing some shag carpet for inspection. I have a kill switch and a proper fire extinguisher, and I am looking to buy a whole new wiring harness/ fuse panel. I don't think I want to take on the project, a local shop quoted $600 if I provide the parts. The radiator hangs below the axle, ordering a new one today. Proportion valve just showed up, hoping that helps with the brakes. Manual steering I can deal with for a while. It fits in the garage but I can't get it off the floor more than a few inches. So many thumbs up in this thing. Lots of people have stories and experiences in these vans, I love seeing the smiles it brings to people. That is a back seat out of a T bird I believe, its about as comfortable of a seat as I have experienced. Lots of cold beers will be had at the beach in this thing. Van 2.jpg Van 3.jpg Van 4.jpg Van 5.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    quick85 likes this.
  29. catdad49

catdad49

That thing is really Sweet, just don't get yourself in trouble with it!

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice sir.Please keep the updates coming as you are able.A friend had two of those.One a real tricked out rig for traveling.The other was a plain Jane for fishing and hunting trips.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo