Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New flathead intakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Are the new offenhauser 2x2 flathead intakes worth a dam? Summit sells it for 207 bucks. Just curious if anyone has any input. Oh it's going on a 47 59a

2. It's a pretty good intake.More hp than Thickstun(they are pitiful for hp,great for profiling) but less than Edelbrock slingshot. $207 is a good price,I paid $250 from Speedway 2 years ago. image.jpg

3. Wow that thing is crazy. I haven't seen one like that. This is my first flathead and just want to soup it up a little bit so I'm going duals. Heads later.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

upload_2015-12-4_12-56-50.jpeg upload_2015-12-4_12-57-12.jpeg upload_2015-12-4_12-56-50.jpeg upload_2015-12-4_12-57-12.jpeg Images stolen online...credit to whoever!
    The dark ones are recent Offy. The pair contains two real Offy ones.
    I think they simply discarded the separate cores that made the upper inch of each riser and machined the stump flat. It is clearly much flatter than standard now, not as flat as the old cheapies like Fenton but it has lost some rise.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

What does "Worth a dam?" mean? They are re-productions of the old ones so they are as good as they ever were.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

As noted above, they are not really the same. The loss of height does affect things, and flathead manifolds that are too low have pulsing/reversion problems, though the new Offys may not be that low...?
    At any rate, I think a dyno would find at least slight differences over the engines RPM range.

7. Thanx,Cadillacoffin.

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

9. That's why I love the hamb. Thanks gang.

10. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

From what I understand, the new ones are made with the original molds, so that would make them the same, eh?

11. I guess I was worried about cracking and cheap construction since it is significantly cheaper than other models. I'm a skeptic.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"From what I understand, the new ones are made with the original molds, so that would make them the same, eh?"
    They seem to be made with maybe 7/8's of the original molds, a different can of worms!

13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

None of them were built for all out performance so it is a moot point, don't you think Bruce.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, it is a change to appearance, it must make some change to flow charcteristics (probably moving the sweet spot upwards) and it might be enough to get into reversion messing with mix...
    It doesn't look as good and seems a sloppy way of cheapening manufacture. Cost based engineering, or maybe they just lost the rest of the mold...
    And the duals WERE the racing manifolds of choice for many until larger displacement cranks, hotter cams, and hot fuels began to take over in the late 1940's.

15. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

They were because that was the only multi carb in take available in the early years. Money has everything to do with what manufacturers do, especially in this new millinium. It has been a treat to bounce off each other Bruce, been wanting to for years, just never seized the opportunity. Merry Christmas and a wonderful, healthy, and proserous New Year,my friend.

16. So if anyone is running this how did you set up the vacuum? It's in a 59a 47 ford and currently the tube to the timing cover and the hose for the wipers are together on the stock manifold under the carb. Do I do the same on the offenhauser?

17. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

That's cheaper than I saw old ones for sale for at Hersey . But I didn't see anyone carrying one around either..

18. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Yip, there is usually a 1/8"pipe thread hole on the new Offy intakes to pick up your vacuum.I like to plug that one and drill and tap under the rear carb for the fitting to vacuum Just makes for a cleaner look.