Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features New Coker Bias look radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

I have Coker Classics on two cars. I like the look of WW's on the cars that ran them new. The 50 Coupe Shoe Box hot rodded as a kids 56 style, red wheels Merc. Caps White Walled Coker Classics. No problems for 5 years. The 60 Vette, same for 6 years, no problems.

Cheers, Don

Attached Files:

2. Yes but since these are not out yet we don't know if that is the case for these particular tires.

I suspect when they come out they will be identical and made with the whitewall on.

We'll see.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. buckd

buckd

4. Nobody has mentioned, so I guess I'll chime in here. These radials aren't Coker branded, they're made by American Classic. They're distributed through Coker, but also other tire dealers like Universal, Lucas Tire, and Wallace Wade, so they're not Coker-exclusive. I don't think the complaints about the Coker Classics would apply to these. I guess the jury will be out until someone actually buys a set and tries them out.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Too bad there are no tires listed on the Coker info, that are the right size for the front of a traditional hot rod.

6. -C-.

-C-.
    from GERMANY

.... the radial tire discussion ´´´´

Coker has a new line of 13, 14, & 15 Inch tires in traditional sizes new on the marked.
    But their 16 Inch tires, 5.50, 6.00, 6.50, 7.00, 7.50 are a couple years available . To me, they look very traditional, I like them more than my firestone bias plys.´ ( Photo, radials on deuce coupe)

I switched on my -40 Ford truck-´from bias ply firestones to diamondback radial. The change was , like riding a new Chassis on my Pick-up.
    The old 40 Ford runs now straight like an arrow.
    The db radial tires have a higher Speed index, above 100 mp/h, ( 130mp/h) whats important to me, if I go fast down the Autobahn. Diamondback offers custom mods on the tires, like smooth blackwalls, and no lettering on White Walls, beauty bar, different load range,

Last month, I ( and my friends ) compare 6.00 / 7.50 x 16 firestone bias´ on my 34 Roadster to my friends Roadster, that rund new coker Excelsior-Radial tires in the same size. Dont ask, ... what a difference. !
    The Excelsior tires have the 30ties/40ties race car tread and a 130 mph Speed index. handling, high Speed, braking, everything is better and safer as the bias plys. More and more radial tires in bias ply sizes will Show up soon in the hot rod Scene.

I will Switch my new bias-ply --Roadster Tires-- to Radials at the end of the 2014 season.

--

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

The set of firestones I got from Coker tire , must have been from the farm tractor section , the tires were a major headache , they have less than 100 miles on them , bias ply Cokers are great for trailer queens ?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And yet thousands (maybe millions) of Coker bias plies are on the road. I think HRP showed a Diamondback tire, in another thread, and the white wall had separated from the tire. Doesn't that make it a sophisticated "Port O Wall"? That alone would steer me towards Coker.

Also, all you guys who got bad tires from Coker, what did you do about it? If you didn't do anything, then that doesn't help anyone. Coker can't fix what he doesn't know about.

9. gtowagon

gtowagon

I had a set of Coker Firestone redline bias tires on a car and put about 50k mes on them with no problems and it was a 60's muscle Car so they got plenty of abuse and replaced them with another set of the same and they are also doing just fine

10. Jason455

Jason455

I had coker classics on 2 of my cars. Only complaint I had was price.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. A Boner

A Boner

They are pricey, wear out too soon, and some of them aren't too round. So what's the problem.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FaFZEK5i7_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow! :eek:

Been wondering what to do with that old Shopsmith I have in the shed.

14. What was the original question again?

15. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I thought it was pretty cool, and pertinent to the thread, although the connection may escape those that that lack a DIY mindset...
    I especially like the adjuster for moving the tire in...

17. DBTires

DBTires
    from Conway, SC

Hey tfeverfred,

If you get a chance, I welcome you to call me personally so I can quickly explain our process here. Our number is 1 (888) 922 1642 and my extension is 106.

I am sorry to call you out like this but the rumor that our whitewalls are glued on is simply ridiculous.

Thank You,
    Tab Chapman

18. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

On my 3rd set with Diamond Back. No Problems!

19. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I have a set of Diamondbacks. they have been flawless. They were great to buy from, too.

I've never had Coker's so I can't give any personal experience. But, my problem with Coker is that whenever someone defends them, it's always "Corey Coker is a great guy!" and I never hear much about the tires themselves. I'd rather Corey be a dick and his tires be great if you get my drift....

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Explain it here for everyone. I'm curious as to how else a white wall is added to a tire that didn't originally have one. Maybe this, from your website, is the reason people may be listening to that rumor.

"The bottom layer is black rubber for maximum adhesion to the tire’s sidewall. It’s the exact same rubber formulation they use to make truck retreads — very strong stuff. That’s because “like materials” bond best."

"adhesion" and "bond" are words usually used to describe glue.

21. alchemy

alchemy

All you guys saying Diamondback is great must not care too much about vintage looks. Their tires do not have the correct look. No getting around that. A modern profile radial doesn't look like a vintage bias ply.

Building vintage hot rods is about style first, and performance second. That is just fact. If your primary purpose was going fast you would be building tuned Hondas or big block Camaros.

If Diamondback (or anybody else) actually comes out with a tire of any kind that performs well AND has the vintage profile, I would love to buy it. A $290 tire is not out of line, just look at the prices of Coker's Firestone dirt trackers.

22. I do have a set on my Sedan mounted on "wide five" rims. After finding a place that would balance them on the car the run and ride very nice up to 80 mph (haven't had them over that), when spinning them up on the car they ran pretty true. I'm a fan. Look OK too.

[​IMG]

23. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Coker tires, high price all the looks and without the performance. Fred Flintstone wouldnt ride on anything else.

24. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

The thing is, a tire must first perform as intended, then looks come second. Unless your ride is a trailer queen. I'd prefer the look of bias ply tires but I also am confident that IF someone produced a set of bias-look radials they would not perform as well. Radials look they way they do for a reason.

'Adhesion' and 'bond' are words used to describe glue.....they are also words used to describe about 10 different rubber processes. In truth, I don't care how the whitewall is created...all I care about is they look perfect and have lasted very well. What more could a person ask?

Hnstray likes this.
  25. But that's the rub for those who want a traditional look they look far from perfect. They look like a radial which to many, myself included, stick out like a sore thumb on an otherwise period car.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I thought it was cool also, I like the way he used the saw to both cut and spin the tire. I buff mags on the car the same way using a hand held electric buffer.

My heap is full fendered, haven't fully embraced the WWW bias ply must have idea yet so running plain old black wall radials on 5 spoke mags. Dealing with out of round tires hasn't been a concern but if it was I'd build one of those contraptions in a heartbeat.

OK, back you your regularly scheduled thread.

27. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Have had at least 10 sets of coker bias ply tires never any problems with them. I think some here just like to bash coker and no I don't know corkey

28. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I mean the whitewall portion is perfect...it's well applied, however they do it.

29. airhead

airhead

DB tires, are your Auburn Deluxe radials still coming out in the spring?:confused:

30. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Supposed to be available 1st Q 2014 according to the email I had from them a few months back.........

patiently waiting

k