Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Classified Forum Discussion

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by CURIOUS RASH, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

slazzen - So did you actually look at last week's tech or were you just interested in which preppie, jock, or stoner posted it?

I'm just dumbfounded that you could say some of the things you do? It's fucking amazing really. Why don't you go back through some of Ryan's posts and tell me how many times he has recognised the fact that the HAMB was built by readers.

"Place a magazine ad and build up subscribers"? Haha, you have no idea man... you couldn't be more 180 if you tried.

Ryan likes this.
  2. Mootz

Mootz

I don't like it. Seems to "busy" when scanning down through. I used to enjoy going through the classifieds, now I don't. I always have this feeling that the seller will forget to put "sold" in the title. You never know where you stand. Just seems annoying to use. Kind of like we're not allowed to speak in class. But, I'm just little 'ol me. Sounds like others like it.

Mootz

3. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

i do not like the new style class. ads either!

but with that said, i have perfect faith with the higher ups and their decisions. it's a work in progress and i'll take it anyway it comes!

and most of all remember

----IT'S FREE and the moderators work for nothing too----

Ryan likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fellas... I read every single bit of feedback I get... This thread wouldn't be here if I didn't. I value and appreciate all of it, but you gotta understand that eventually I have to make a decision and sometimes that decision isn't liked by 100% of the people in the world.

Again, the classifieds are a work in progress. We decided to release it in its current state rather than not having classifieds at all for a month or so... There will be major changes for sure... And this feedback will effect the changes...

As for current big board content and tech... You aren't reading if you think we are down on content... It has never been better... Remember, you get what ya give... that's how it works...

5. Grimlock yes i read the tech week posts... and have seen Ryans post in the past about subscribers.. I have also seen this place change alot since the ads in GARAGE MAGAZINE appeared and was invited to the invite only board and its awsome..REALY AWSOME.... But I have also remained loyal.. and try as it is hard to keep my ego in check.. I am one who talks what I see and sometimes I see asshole....it could be that my head is up my ass.. it is sometimes as I am sure you have had yours up your ass also..
    I am not a ass kisser thats for sure... And this is a forum there are gonna be attitudes and opions not shared and some will be deleted or the thread closed ect ect ...
    And there are opertunitys for ads in old school rods and a host of the many other publications that seem to pop up every month. And some will come and some will go. As do subscibers.... The points have all been made the classifieds look much better.. the features are cool like the location... the no comments bites.. the btt not useable bites... 2 forums ??? i dont even look in the wanted section ??? so i would say bites I would say a forsale wanted button on one forum would be a better solution.. But of course I have only made a living for 30 yrs buying and selling and advertising so what do i know

sodbuster likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

slazzen, you make a living advertising so you prolly understand the effects of multiple exposure. We have heard your feedback. Thanks.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Interesting
    Lots of rumors about said board, I guess those rumors are true.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There is no invite only board on the HAMB. There are other invite only boards out there, but I have nothing to do with them.

There is an SPS forum on the HAMB used for moderation.

Geesh, you guys are killing me today...

9. Killer

Killer

+2 for me motherfuckers!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I do have a question that I have to ask about the bold text. If I log on the site at 8:30am est and only look at the forum; read through the bold posts since I read it last and then exit the HAMB and go somewhere else @ 8:45; Fordbarn, MSN whatever and get to work. Now at 12:30 pm I log back on the HAMB and go to the classifieds. Are the classifieds still bold since I last looked at them (example yesterday) or are they only bold since I logged out @ 8:45? Seems to me the BOLD text leaves all the forums when I log out and only new ones turn bold when I return. Am I making sense here?

I'm editing this post as after I posted it I went to the classifieds section of WTB and guess what nothing is bold and I haven't looked at in a week! Seems like the bold needs to stay on a forum I haven't visited since the last time instead of turning unbold when I visit one of the other forums only.

11. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

You are right. It will only bold anything you haven't viewed since you last logged into the HAMB, regardless of the forum you visited.

That is a good point, and now it's number 237.5 on the "to do/ can we do" list.

12. Mootz

Mootz

Rashy beat me to it. I may have sounded harsh earlier, I'll get used to it and it will be no big deal down the road. Keep up the good work with everything.

Mootz

13. monsterflake

monsterflake

here's some positive feedback... i like the new version, it's much faster to go through, which makes me wonder why someone hasn't already offered up the block i (so desparately) need :D

14. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

That's because it's under the same pile of shit as the head I need more then my left eye.:D

15. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

First I would like to thank Ryan and all the moderators for making the HAMB the place that it is.
    Second I would like to thank all that contribute to the HAMB and keep it a storehouse of knowledge and humor.

Now I would like to throw my comments in there about the new classifieds.
    I like them and eagerly wait to see the outcome all the ideas are to be implemented.

I only found the replies useful to me once. Some one was selling the same item on another board for a lower price. A HAMBer called them on it. Their lame reply was that the HAMBers had more money to spend thus the higher price. I would never buy anything from this person because of that. But others still buy items from that person as they are still here selling. So what good did being able to reply do?

I sure don't miss dibs! Nor do I miss "Sent you a PM". Does that mean it was sold?

I have bought more than I have sold here. But I have sold a few items. And more than once I have had the reply of "I'll take it" and then never see the money or even get excuses. Or that is all I get is excuses for several PM's then nothing.

Yes it would be nice if sellers marked items as sold. But hey they didn't do it before, what makes it different now? Is it that hard to send a PM to see if it is still available? If it is such a problem maybe we need a button that sends an auto PM asking that.

What is so hard about looking at the wanted section? I have nothing to sell at this time, but I look just to see what folks are looking for.

Overall I find the new classifieds to be much easier to use. I just don't understand all the drama over it.

16. My apologies to the board if this has been discussed before, and yes I did noodle around a bit on this thread to try and see if what I'm about to mention had been brought up before...didn't see anything, so here goes.

Would it be possible to have a feature that would list, or give the user the option, to sort the classified Locations by state, or at least region? This would save lots of time for those who have no way to get stuff across the country no matter how desirable, cheap or necessary it may be. With work schedules and a limited budget it is pointless for me to consider anything beyond a days drive from home. THANKS.

17. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Rashy; I know you got a platefull. I just thought it might be contributing to the problem with posts going back 4 pages but the way is now if you don't look each time you might miss something.

18. I feel the new classifieds are a big step backwards, after all this is a message board and replies to ad's are the life, personality and distinction of the board, otherwise it's just another mundane craigslist style site. The life (ability to communicate, comment or question)) has been slowly squeezed out and is now gone, another example of something being governed to death. What was wrong with the OLD classifieds? The days before you'd get beat over the head for not putting a f/s or wanted prefix? Then the moderators even started taking the liberty of changing ads if year/model info was incorrect, now finally after all of this evolution we have nothing but a sad, boring and lifeless shell of the former classified "forum"
    Each member contributes something to the hot rod community, some are great chassis builders, others custom body gurus, I happen to LOVE digging around in sheds, junk piles, swap meets etc for the parts that have contributed to many cars on this board being completed and the hamb classifieds have given me a vehicle to meet many, many great people, buy and sell alot of great old car parts and donate just as many... Please bring back the old classifieds and cut down on the rules...

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Read this thread and you will be enlightened...

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Old- OLD classifieds, a new guy would come on here with some stuff to sell and guys would give the guy shit over this or that, your price is too high, and would flat out slam the new guy and the guy wouldn't come back.
    Thats a fact.
    Some guys on here were complete dick's with a pack dog mentality.
    Yea - you had to have thick skin, but some just were flat out stupid dicks.

Then the flaming rule came up and over time cut down on it and all the drama that went with it. And I mean drama. Stupid crap.

Then, tried to get some structure to the "for sale" and "want to buy" classifieds and 80% of the guys made the adds readable.
    The other 20% couldn't read.

Then, guys would try ways to get around the rules and bamm - moderators would get emails that joe blow is doing it, so I will too.

Then the drama of guys not honoring deals or not shipping crap.
    Ryan wanted to post who was scamming who after the moderators spent a lot of time trying to get the parties together to try to work it out.
    WHY you say ? because we H.A.M.B.'rs wanted to believe we H.A.M.B.'rs wouldn't scam each other.

The minority can really screw it up for everybody for sure.

Then about 15-20 guys (on a regular basis) on a lot of adds posted replies that created a situation that rolled adds very quickly to the next page/etc.etc.
    Replies often were "wish it were closer" "wish I had the money" over and over again which in turn made sellers BTTT their adds.
    Then the comments of I posted my add this morning and now I'm on page 4 already.

WHY ???? Because of all of the comments actually unrelated to the buying or selling of parts.

SO, if guys had respected the rules in place ORIGIANLLY, we would probably not be where we are at now.

YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA - all of the conversations that take place between Ryan, Rashy,Rocky, Kevin and myself on things that are trying to be done technically that creates the perfect world.

Please understand this if you are still reading this.
    BTTT is what is trying to be reduced, and your add being stuck so people can read it and yet if there is reply guess what ?
    It goes back to the top.

So believe me when I say this, Ryan is looking at some technical stuff and we moderators are trying every which way with this senario and that senario.

Guys is that so hard to understand ?

Patience for all H.A.M.B.'rs has been a challenge for something that we all are trying to have fun at.

Do you think Ryan or all the moderators want to piss people off ?

Nothing could be further from the truth.

But remember this, this forum is a privledge and not a right.
    It has been for all to enjoy.
    Ryan and the moderators are working behind the scenes to find some technical things to make it all work so hopefully most everyone is happy.

If you are unhappy we have heard it - but I will not gaurantee all changes are going to be made to everyones satisfaction.
    Please be gratefull this forum is here and respect those who are working their asses off to work on trying new things and including changing some things as we go.

Fair enough ?

Cob
    Forum Moderator

21. Ya want positive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I kinda like it!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

I got sick of seeing the same guys ,,,post after post saying "that's a great deal,,,if only it wasn't so far away!" or " man,if you had posted this last week".:rolleyes:

The bttt was getting a bit old,,,,,,,and I'll be the first to admit I did it too!

I did like to see the offers of trades,,,or parts swaps,,,or even seeing interest in a given car or part,,,,,I already pine For the ol' classifieds,,,even with all their faults,,,,but,,,Ryan,,,ya never have let us down,,,and in the short time i've been a member the HAMB has grown and is better than ever!:D HRP

22. It seems as if the old members like the old way and the new ones prefer the new way.

This would be pretty typical and forseen regardless.

I know the HAMB is free to all to use to sling thier parts are pick up a few here and there. But I also know, from our sense of appreciation, we auction alot of cool stuff here to help the burden of the financial portion to keep this board up and running. Alot of stuff....like the chop top work...Holy cow...look what that brought in...I dont think I have seen any other place that has come close to a "giving" like that. :)

Im from the old, and I have posted before that I liked the old forums better. Sure I had to scroll down the pages to look for things but it was typical the good stuff was up front and the "not so wanted" stuff was pushed back. If BTTT were used, I would take it as an agressive means to move thier items...sure thier could have been some abuse, but hey..."abuse" is pretty much an everyday affair and we just live with it. I admit, I BTTT a few times, but not on abusive means.

As for the "I wish I were closer" comments...what's wrong with them? Really...a good deal is a good deal. I have always taken those comments in that manner. I bet if you check the past forums, that most of the crap that had that statement in it....was for a "Smokin'" deal...and revealed as such. I have BTTT some ad's I saw because they deserved the exposure or they were an aquaintance (sp)/ Friend of mine. With that said, Im surprised we dont come back in the normal forums when someone asks another question on dropping an axle or juice brakes..."Dont you know how to use the search function? That subject has been beaten with a stick over and over - use it"...and I have seen boards with that mentality...and its a turn-off and makes you want to go tell them to go "F" Themselves.

The classifieds are a bit weird now since you have the 2 forums to look through. Most people will check out the For Sale section, as for the wanted part...Im sure if you crunch the numbers...the number of people looking to help out the next guy are lower than the guy buying/looking for a part. With the 2 in the same forum, at least you get the same exposure regardless.

I had a buddy who had a small "private" shop. It was cool and a fun place to work and just be at. The day after he "Incorporated" it.....went to "piss in a pot" and was never the same. It helped at the beginning and things started to happen, but in a whole, it just sucked. Sometimes the simple "Garage" mentality is better. Needless to say...he's not around. My point is...Change is good, and it has its ups and downs. its hard for us to manage that..but Im sure we will persevere.

Ryan...As I have always said, thanks for the board, its an awesome place...Keep up the good work...Thanks for listening to our words. :)

Im with you Killer....+1 on the posts of what was over 3500. Now Im at 1832...that blows

23. I really like the first post in this thread....Very well said....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98294

"-Sure can tell that it took alot of work to clean up the classifieds..but..
    it's now got the feel of shopping in speedway motors instead of you're buddies garage. I love this place because of the grease. I like to look under the bench and into the rafters. I might have something you want that I haven't thought about in twenty years sitting under a pile of parts but I'm interested in getting my build done so I'm hanging out on the "4-sale" department, I don't go into the "wanted" much so I don't know you need that part that I have and would sell to you to help you out if I knew you needed it. If I am able to see what you need while I'm looking for my own stuff it's easier to help each other out.
    I appreciate your efforts to try to improve the system but with the 4-sale/wanted seperated I think the original purpose of the board is much less effective."

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Gentleman,
    Appreciate your comments.
    Ryan and the moderators are well aware of all that has been said both pro and con.

That said - Hang tight/stay tuned etc. etc.

Some refinements /corrections / scuff and polishing is forseen which we hope will keep the masses happy.

We will never make everyone 100% happy, but like we said before nothing is ever set in stone around here.

Everybody just kind of hang tight for a bit.

Cool ?

trust me.

Cob
    Forum Moderator

25. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Maybe they find it hard to trust guys named RASHY, Rocky and Corncob?

:)

26. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Yeah, it does all sound so BrokeBack............so if ya buy the 3 pak does it come with lubricant?

:D :p :D :p :D

27. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Hell no, we're manly men.

A little GL-90 will set the mood JUUUUUUUUUST right and is always readily available right under the ASS end of anything I own.

28. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Did I just type that out loud?

29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Brandy,

It all depends if you want your gears to purr like a kitten or grind like a lion ?

Depends on the mood, ya know what I mean !

Cob
    Forum Moderator

30. SnoDawg

SnoDawg

I thought you guys used Marvel Mystery oil...

Dawg