Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Classified Forum Discussion

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by CURIOUS RASH, Mar 12, 2006.

1. I like that idea too but it would good to have a list of states/countires that make it a required field instead of "on another planet" or "East Coast".
    Tom - restorit

2. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I agree with Brad54 about the magic of not knowing how much you wanted an item till you found it, and oddly enough I saw that Burb right after it was sold...DOH!!

New classifieds are killer, and will make life much easier. Not having the few token tire kickers with the "if you were closer" or (more likely) "if I had the money" is easier on all as well. Great work guys!

3. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

What is the point of the reply count column if no one can reply?LOL

4. Okay...So I place an ad, and after a week I can repost it. You said in the How To section - If it sells put sold in the title (makes sense.) After the week is up what happens to my ad? Does it disappear? Can it still be found if I do a search for it? Can I reuse the original post to create the new one (and save retyping/uploading pictures, etc.)?

Seems to me the housekeeping is really easy if the threads disappear on their own. If someone forgets to update their ad with a SOLD!!! and it doesn't reappear in a week, we can assume it did sell.

5. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I like the new classified set-up. Maybe this will get people in the habit of checking their PMs more often.

So with the fact that we can't add to an existing thread, would it be cool to post a message on the regular board that we have received our bought and paid for parts? I like this as it gives us, the buyer, a chance to both let the seller know we got it ok and to let others know that this seller is holding up their end of the bargin, and that is increasingly important nowadays.

Vance

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Yo Baby,

We can't get rid of the reply column without it going away on all the boards.

Findingo,

We are still working on that portion. I'm thinking it would be nice to have them expire, disappear, after two weeks. We tried this automatically before and it ate the wrong posts:eek: so we quit that.

As soon as we figure out how to keep the posts from bumping when responded to we may try to redo this.

7. I dunno Rashy, this whole no flamming thing has got be stumped. I mean I'm trying to get Govet assistance by telling them I'm a flamer, and i was planning on useing the HAMB as an example. Guess I'm gonna have to find another angle.:D

Looks good to me. No wondering about nuthin' and no getting pushed to the back by a constant string of BTTTs. (for which I am also guilty.)

8. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I think they are great!!...No more of the stupid "where is the rest of the car?" replies. Got to love that.

9. Under the wanted part it won't change to Parts, keeps saying Car. But my subject line is clear, so I think it'll work OK.

Thanks, You guys keep making this a better HAMB.

chili

10. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I just had the same thing happen... When I previewed the ad, it cleared my selections for "type of item" and "price".

Maybe I hit the wrong button too?:confused: :eek:

If so, maybe you could make the CORRECT button stand out a little more!:D

11. I like the separate trade and for sales area, but one thing that i am missing is if someone posts :Wanted project car, it used to be nice to see what folks had out there that they MIGHT want to get rid of.

Most of the time im always looking for something just dont want to have to post once a month to clog up the forum.

12. I've been looking at it today, and I gotta say I like it better the old way. I'm with SilentRick. And Brad54.
    It just seems too starched and sterile.
    And I know my opinion wasn't asked for nor does it carry much weight<<eeek!>

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I love it. Mucho better.

14. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

ANy way you can Put the TYPE and Price all in one line, instead of stacking them on top of one another? SO that each add dosent take up so much space?

15. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Seems to me that if you don't get a hit on a Wanted post when it is on the first page it becomes dead and buried. Then, maybe that was always true but it was easier to bring it back up. Never have had any luck on WTB what should have been plentiful Olds engine parts. Not directly paying to post so I shouldn't gripe.

16. guiseart

guiseart

For bossmen - I would love to see a LOCATION feild. It's not "super" important, but would make surfing for local cars/parts a lot quicker.

For users - to "find" a post you want to watch (like your "My Ebay" pages), just go to your favorites (top of your windows tool bar) and "add to favorites" when you are on the desired page... I've even created a sub-category called HAMB CLASSIFIEDS... in it are direct links back to pages I want to keep; classifieds, tech, cool cars, etc... you can always delete them from your "favorites" when you are done looking at them.

works for me, thanks for all the hard work guys - site looks and loads great!

17. guiseart

guiseart

now i see a "location" feild - you guys rock!

now... will posters use it?

18. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

I love the new set up. It remedied some of my issues that I had posted about in a previous suggestion. It's made the classified much easier to sift through. Good job guys!

On a side note, don't know if it would be under classifieds or in the general discussion area, but how about a section specifically for events. I say classifieds, with a lot of the same rules of no extra posting and such, so that we can keep abreast of what's going on easier.

In any event, you administrators are doing an excellent job of keeping the HAMB running quickly, up-to-date, and addressing us lowly peon HAMBers concerns. Keep up the great work.

19. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

The "location" addition is great! Save from going thru all that to see how far you have to haul the treasure.

20. 5 Lines of text per thread heading is a little over the top compared to the 2 lines of text per thread heading in the main HAMB board. It would be nicer to somehow keep it to 2 in the classifieds like it used to be.

I don't really like the lack of feed back. I enjoyed seeing the questions regarding what was for sale. This helps generate more information about what is being sold and its good to know what questions have already been asked and answered before overloading the sellers inbox with redundant questions.

I do like the two separate for sale and wanted sections.

I read the for classifieds section more than I read the main board. The classifieds section has now gotten a little more difficult in my opinion. But maybe its just hard getting used to something new.

Keep up the good work,

Mike

21. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Let me amend my statements. I see that there is an "events" section as in the fav HAMB events and on the calendar, but I'd love to see a specific place where people could post smaller events and gatherings as well as the larger stuff...

22. sorry I didn't have time to read through 3 pages but one thing that I think would really help clear up the ads would be to break BST into sections.
    One for Vehicles for sale, and one for parts for sale. Each would be its on topic with threads in it. You could cut down on the amount of pages and make it easier to find things. I am only looking for a vehicle only not parts I can find those local

23. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Okay, I thought the new classifieds rocked........now after posting a wanted ad, I changed my mind.

I usta be able to get what I needed in a couple hours............now I'm on a couple of days and not even a lead.:(

24. marq

marq

I didn't really like it in the first place and after a couple of days i still don't like it but even less now.I forget who said it but it's kinda sterile.Also if you have a wants ad people who were buying would also see at a glance those Ads(they had to)now if they are buying they prolly don't even look in the WTB ads so that cuts down your leads immediatly,where an old forgotten part lay in a garage and all that was needed was a reminder that old part was there it may well be left forgotten now.I may well be in a minority here and only time will tell and perhaps i have overlooked something.In general this site Rocks so there is no real complaint i'm just grategul to be a member..............Marq

25. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I can't say that I like the new Classifieds as much as the old ones. I agree that they should have separate sections for Cars and Parts, both for sale and wanted.

I also wish that you could bump your ads more frequently, because once your ad is off the first page of the classifieds, barely anyone looks at it.

26. I noticed the post count has dropped seriously I for one hate the new classifieds no bumps sucks big time

27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The post countdropping a lot is due to so many posts of non related comments vs actual interest in sales.

You would be surprized how many "Wish it were closer" and "wish I had the money" posts in the classifieds.

There were about a dozen guys who liked to read their own posts a lot.

This is just a way to keep cleaner posts and more to the point.

Now, there is no way of knowing how many adds have had PM replies.

What it sounds like is the missed things are the readable chit chats for the posts.

That's what your PM is for to chit chat with the seller or buyer and the main H.A.M.B. board also.

While we can't make everyone happy, we try to at least keep the drama down and smooth sales adds going.

Cob
    Forum Moderator

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Well my opinion is it kinda really sucks to not me able to see the replies i kinda like to see the reasurance of "yea i've seen it, great piece" or "yea i'm also running a Joe Mcgofast speed part works great"

29. Im with Shaggy. I think bumping it so people can see it helps alot. Your ad could be viewed very seldom if others pile in.

Comments/posts in ads are best in my opinion. Especially if the guy is a rip-off or cheat. How do you indicate to someone if the seller is scandalous if you can post.

Its cool, but im not to fond of it. :) It seems all of the "senior" HAMB'ers share the same opinion. (just an observation)

Another thing about posting, you can see the progress of a part for someone who is buying or selling? There is alot you can learn from the posts/replys to the classified section. Especially if the part is sold, or if you found what you need.

Brandy Nailed it right here!!! :

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Bumping is for folks that have nothing better to do... :)

Bumping won't be back. Replies might...