Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Chrome Stromberg 97s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8-Track, Dec 16, 2009.

1. 8-Track

8-Track

Last year I purchased 4 new Stromberg carburetors from Eric at Riley automotive { vaphead} in Colorado and proceeded to dismantle them for chrome plating. I then brought them to a chrome plater who assured me that he knew how to plate them properly and that I had nothing to worry about because he does carburetors all the time. That was the point where I should have stopped and ran because he completely destroyed the castings, when I went to pick them up the chrome was bubbling all over and peeling off , he said he could strip it off and re-chrome them but when he striped them he removed more than the chrome and all the inside fluid passages were plugged up some almost welded shut. I shipped them to a couple of other platers who said that they were junk and would not touch them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as a last resort I contacted Clive at Stromberg 97 carburetors, I explained my predicament to him and wanted to see if I could purchase some new castings. Clive told me to ship them to Uncle Max who does all the warranty in the U.S. for Stromberg 97 so I did, When he received them he had about the same response as everyone else. Clive then contacted me and informed me that he was working on offering Strombergs chrome plated with polished linkage and that the second batch of prototypes would be ready soon, The first set is on the recent Kookie Car clone has been seen in magazines and car shows this year. So I sold the old parts to uncle max and purchased the new one from Clive. My little disaster is now over and I have four of the most beautiful Strombergs ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really need to give a big thanks To Clive at Stromberg 97 for all the help with this. In the future It is companies like this that make High Quality reproduction parts that work as good or better than the original ones that are going to thrive in today’s economy, people are going to want the best product for their money, The fit, Finnish and Quality of the new Strombergs is top notch along with great customer service, What more could you ask for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

WOW.

Those are beautiful.

Glad things worked out for you.

3. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

WOW! Those are a work of art. What is the price going to be these? I'm very interested?

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

shit fire.

I can't wait to get some of those... Nothing to put them on, but I want some!

5. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

JEEZE!! those are just great!!!

6. John Denich

John Denich

I hate you now I want to swap the dual quads I have for eight of those.....those are GREAT!!!!!

7. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

8. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Damn, Those are sweet!

9. freebird101

freebird101

I second that

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Awesome! I spent a lot of time tracking down a few decent old chrome ones, that was before I heard they were offering brand new chrome ones. Beautiful!

11. MCM

MCM

Those are gorgeous, I'd like to know the price as well...

12. Abomination

Abomination

Clive & Uncle Max rock my socks off (Vaphead does, too). :D

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Glad to hear your 97 heartbreak didn't last.

14. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

I would also

15. I just bought a jet tool from uncle max and the quality is great! What a guy to take on the Stromberg Carbs and offer service! Thanks again!

16. 31modelo

31modelo

Damn thats nice, I'd love to have 6 of those.

17. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Simply Beautiful.

18. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Steve, glad you got taken care of. :D These look waaaay better than the four flower planters you sent me. Maybe there's a chance I can sell them as Titanic artifacts? Can't wait to see the rest of your Flathead.

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'm with Ryan....buy some just to have on the fireplace mantle. This makes me wish I wouldn't have sold my old 6X2 sbc intake way back when.

dj

20. Crankhole

Crankhole

I want one for my desk at work.

21. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

.....and yet, Speedway's blatant copy of this quality carburetor gets all the ink!! NSRA and GoodGuys both gave the Speedway carb awards this year, and the January 2010 Street Rodder does a tech article on the Speedway carb with not so much as a mention of the real one!! Go back and read Jere Jobe's analysis of the Speedway carb (do a seach)- not too favorable!!

22. Hey Uncle Max:

Can you share with us the price and availability of this version of the REAL stromberg 97? I'm working on a cool flathead project and I may just decide to go this route instead of standard ones.

PS: Everybody that I know that deals with you and Clive has nothing but great things to say about you - much appreciate you running your business this way and caring about your reputation! It more than speaks for itself and you earn it - it doesn't come for free!

23. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

well.... those are freakin' bad ass!

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Wow Steve, those look simply amazing!

25. theryre awesome. its nice to hear a good story on a new product for a change!

26. 8-Track

8-Track

They are just a little better than the ones that I brought over for you to look at!

27. thesupersized

thesupersized

wow, that's awesome, i want some, but scared to know what the price is!

28. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ryan [​IMG]
    shit fire.

I can't wait to get some of those... Nothing to put them on, but I want some!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I second that

I third it!! Sweeeet!

29. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Geez, I hate threads like these. It's like someone is trolling for demand. There is no reason to have to wade through several pages and still, no price posted.

Please either post the price OR have the courtesy to post a reply that provides some meaningful information ("we're not ready to set the price until Jan 15, 2010" or whatever). Letting these threads go on and on like this seems childish.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  30. RAY With

RAY With

Those are about the nicest carbs I have seen in a long time. I have a set that could use some dressing up and thinking about giving a shout to Unk. You dont see much craftsmanship like that any more. The chrome work I get close to home stinks. Your better off painting them.