Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Build... 33 34 Ford 5 window Coupe. 1933 1934

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32fivewindow, Nov 30, 2010.

1. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Picked up a new project a couple weeks ago. Needs a lot of work. I'm starting to the chassis first. I'm building this one as a highboy. It is all steel un-chopped Henry steel, wanted a chopped but this one came available... and I am 6'3" and my unchopped 1932 five window is probably best unchopped too. I think it is an early 34 body. I decided to go with the 33 doors. I also have a set of 34 doors, but like the 33 better. I will be updating the thread often. Give me your feedback and ideas.

Brandon

Chassis: Chrome/polished/paited front end, original boxed rails, triangulated rear with a quick change. (I still need a quickchange if anyone has a rod ready one for sale/trade?)

Engine: Early 331 354 392 Hemi, (also need one)

Body: I am thinking of a Steves realsteel louvered deck lid? Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. That sir, is my dream car. Do her proud!

3. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

First off, congrats. I don't need to tell you that you have a lot of work to do, you already know that. I know, because I'm in the process of doing a lot of what your going to end up doing. It's my first rod, so I'm learning a lot and have already learned a lot.

I bought a louvered deck lid from SAR as well. I first bought the decklid and was going to put it on my inner decklid. But after looking it over, there was no way I was going to be able to get it on there and make it look good when done. So, I sent it back so they could attach it to one of their inner decklids with their tooling. I also had them paint the inside of the panels on both lids to protect it more since it is heavily louvered. They said the Ecoating would last 10 years but I don't want it rusting from the inside out in 10 years.

It's changed hands, but glad to see my 33 5W door found a good home. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can, but like I said, I'm learning as I go.
    Brian

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332977&highlight=someday

4. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Thanks guys. I plan on doin' her proud. Kind of an old school build planned for her. Brian I grabbed her in Waterford WI! Any extra hemis layin around? :)

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Something like this??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I don't have any laying around, but there still around it seems. A buddy of mine has a 392 in NE Iowa. If you can't find one, I can give him a shout. I think I remember seeing your car (now) for sale somewhere, now that you mention Waterford. Either here or on ebay. Was not priced too bad from what I recall. Did you drive all the way up here for it? I was in Colorado Springs not too long ago (ok, last year or two, LOL)

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Great start!! The Hemi would be killer in that thing. I've contemplated changing directions on my '33 and using the '331 I have set aside because it's just an awesome combo. Can't wait to see it unfold!

8. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Nice to see another one getting rehabbed. Maybe go with a 33 hood and grill, since your using 33 doors, better looking to me. Just a thought, any way good luck with the build, will be watching

9. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Jealousy on the 5 window and hemi. :eek:

10. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Hmmm... I have a 55' 331 I've been thinking about letting go.

11. Roadsir

Roadsir

Its been a long term project...way too long. I had it set up for a big block, but then came across a freshened 392 this summer....Got me a little fired up again. I did find a vertex mag, full length headers, super t-10. It's set-up with a Frankland QC. It'll be fun car if I get my ass in gear and start working on it more...

Jealousy on the 5 window and hemi. :eek:[/QUOTE]

12. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

jalopykid, let me know if your interested in letting go of the hemi.

Todays progress: starting to separate the body from the subrails. And a lot of measuring ond planning the build of the k member on the 33 frame. I havent decided if I'm going to build the k member or buy a "kit" Pics to come, although these are the boring ones! I bought trunk drip rails from Howells steel and they'll go on this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

You have some good material to start with, sounds like your not wasting any time getting started. Keep the updates coming!

14. What's the difference between the 33' and 34' doors?

15. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

The 33 door has a latch at the front of the door. The 34 has the latch at the front with rod to a handle in the center. Also the 34 door has a smaller window opening; at the back section, there is a 3/4 inch cover. It is there to shield the gap when the window is rolling up and down. The door garnishes will interchange, but are slightly different.

Here is a pic of a 34 door set... the 5 window body has 33 doors on it.

Attached Files:

16. Nice ride. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

I'm not chopping mine either and I'm keeping the fenders.

17. I never noticed that. The 33s do look better. Would it be hard to cut that piece out of the 34 doors, because they look like they are in better shape.

18. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Both sets are equal in condition. The 33 driver door is very good. Cutting the 34 window opening would be doable, but you then have to fill the gap it leaves.

19. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

That 34 passenger door is from a 4dr, they don't bow out as much and just make a 5w look funny in my opinion. The extra part in the window on a 34 is so that the glass can slide to the rear giving you a vent window. Looks like the 33 passenger door is also from a 4dr. Has a weld seam where the extra height was removed, I think it is about 3/4 inch.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  20. Congrats on buying a 33-34. I also am building a 34, 5 window and have bought quarters, [roadster quarters we had to modify to work on my coupe] subrails and inner and outer rear pans below the decklid, all from Steves. I give Steve's good marks on their products as does my body man who is actually doing the work..
    BTW, I changed to a 33 front clip with 34 chevy hood sides..doors will be modified to 33 specs..
    PS... When I couldn't find a good pair of 5 window door tops I tried modified 4 door tops but didn't like the look...went with a pair of 2 door sedan door tops and shortened them. That way I didn't need to fill the gap from chopping the top

Attached Files:

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

All this Model 40 talk has me chomping at the bit to start mine!!! Great start and I'm stoked for ya!!!

22. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

The 33 doors are both 5 window, and one was missing the top section, and am grafting a rear four door top onto it. A lot of work but its all I've got, and the hinge is the same. Rocky your' 5w is coming along nicely!

23. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

My 33 with one of Steve's deck lids,I also got his bottom quarter patch panels.

065-2.jpg

24. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

58 ducknut, you have inspired me to order my decklid 1200.00 :D Brandon is out of money.

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Forgot to tell you I have one on my '34. Spendy.....but man are they a nice looking piece!

26. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I don't know what gauge steel they make those decklids out of, but the new one I have seems to be much heavier than the original (from what I remember of it). I like that.....

27. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I have a decklid from Steve's on my 33 five window - not louvered, but the fit and quality is top notch. I do not think you could find better, and as far as the money goes, a good original one is going to cost nearly as much if you can find it. Then you are left with getting the dings out and replacing the metal in the bottom corners that typically prove to be rust spots.

I think those 34 doors (the dark primered ones) in your photos are from a five window coupe. Are they yours?

Good luck with your build, looks like a great project!

Attached Files:

28. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Welcome. A good choice of motor for the 34. I almost traded mine off and happy I didn't.

Attached Files:

29. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

The 34 5 window doors, (and yes they are real 5 window doors) yep they're mine, and on ... dah dah dah ebay right now

Thanks for the welcome rat, I'll do her proud.

30. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Chassis work continues. Mounting an original k member and pedal set up.

Attached Files: