Register now to get rid of these ads!

New "Bikeriders" book by Danny Lyon.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I saw it today, I didn't buy it, didn't have the $40.
    Wow, it's amazing. I have the reissue but this one's got 15 new pictures not in the original version.
    It's an amazing look at the Chicago Outlaws in the mid 60s.
    These were some scary motherfuckers, way scarier than the hellcats you see at Biketoberfest these days.

2. RF

RF

Is it hardback? I got the 2nd edition off the Internet, but had to pay. Check out what the 1st ed is going for! Pictures are classic. Japanese Hot Bike uses his original images for their covers!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It is a hardback. Alas the version I got was the reissue from about 5 years back not an original. I hear the originals sell for 100s, if not 1000s of Dollars Rob.

I also took a peek at the new book about Jesse James by Mike Seate. It looked like a pretty good book actually and there's a ton of pictures of hot rods and customs in it too.

4. RF

RF

I got a good story about that JJ book...I'll PM it to you.

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Hey Rob talking about books, I also saw one today about the history of Lowriders, damn good condensation of Chicano automotive customization history.
    So now I've got three more items on my Christmas/Ramadan list, book whore that I be.

6. RF

RF

Was it the one put out by ex-Lowrider Lopez? Gotta check that one out. Late-'60s early '70s Lowriding culture is almost more interesting than early-'60s Bellflower area cruising.

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dunno Rob, didn't see get the author's name.
    All's I know is that Lowrider was my mag of choice in the late 70s and early 80s, the only mag that regularly had Kustoms in it when Kustoms were an ignored breed. I still love 'em. I still drag them out and look at the crazy paint schemes and the get ups of the ones who built these rolling works of art.
    Don't get me wrong, I've had my dealings with hydraulics and I never want to have a car like that again, but Lowrider culture is/was as important as any automotive movement in history.

Viva La Raza.

8. RF

RF

Zacly. I still want to own the '64 Impala that Cheech drove, the one with the Cragars, primered fender, and the THC-laced angel hair.

9. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

10. RF

RF

I can't believe I forgot the best part...thanks Butt!

11. dondanno

dondanno

Rob is that 64 still around? I loved that thing...Danny

12. ray

ray
    from colorado

someday i WILL clone cheech's impala! just for the reaction of the .25% that would recognize it!