Register now to get rid of these ads!

New 40 fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Standard, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

just heard that Bob Drake is going to produce a new steel 40 Ford coupe. he plans a fall delivery

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't hold your breath.

3. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Hasent this been a rumor for years????? I cant say Im excited, It takes away the rarity of the 40. It could become like the 32.

4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I have heard for years, that has been his ultimate goal. That is why he has reproduced just about every part but the main body. I'd bet they'll start at at least $20k! I wouldn't mind seeing the rear fenders done soon though!!!

5. just got a drakes cataloge in the mail today and it says they are signing up customers now . first come first served. fall delivery.

6. I just received the new Bob Drake catalog in the mail. Quote from catalog "Everybody wants a '40 coupe, so we're starting now to sign up customers for the first bodies coming off the assembly line. It's going to be first come first served, so call us now and get your name in the hat for making your '40 dreams come true." They also go on to say that in July of this year, they will confirm orders, and issuing place numbers for fall delivery. Price was not mentioned.

7. sawzall

sawzall

interesting.. I'll look for that in the mail..

8. Swifster

Swifster

Hopefully that coupe will morph into a convertible too.

9. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

I think its cool becuz it has to be the hardest car to fuck up...Doesnt matter the stance its just the LOOK. Nose in the air, nose in the weeds, a sweet tasting mix of bigs and littles or a number on the side...it makes my mouth water!!! The 40 ford coupe is the cats ass!

10. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

Some day Im going to own one...original or not!

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I have been getting a few "back door" rumors for awhile (last 2-3 years) about the coming '40. I say it's about time and no one like Bob to make it happen. As stated he has been filling out his coverage of '40 parts for years. it's only natural to take the final step and do a body. If the quality of this project is a reflection of his earlier efforts it will be a winner.

Frank

12. SHRUM

SHRUM

I think I will chop mine... he he he

13. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

Im with Dakota Kid, a 40 Ford is one of the finestin my opinion. Its definitely one of my dream cars.

14. 343w

343w

I bought my first one in 1962, it cost me a $125.00, of course the minium wage for pumping gas a Dick's Sunoco was 75 cents an hour. But I could fill her tank with $2.50, them were the days.....

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

In my opinion 20K won't cover it, not if the Brookville 3 window is 23-25K. I got it from an insider that he has a goal of Louyville with prototype. Maybe just rumor?

16. mj40's

mj40's

I noticed in the catalog that there was no mention of fenders or drip rails. What is he going to do for doors and then we are going to need inside window moldings and wing windows. I can see it will be a long time after fall to get a complete coupe.

17. Anybody heard WHERE they will be made? USA? China? Mexico? Not like I could afford one anyway......

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I heard off shore stamping, american assembly. we'll know for sure after the first one hits the shipping dock.
    A crate/pallet basic body assembled when it hits the dock would make a lot of sense. Then you just take a Drake catalog and finish your car.

Frank

19. sawzall

sawzall

I will guess 50k on that body.

but no mention of fenders because???
    Personally I think this is great
    a lot of streetrodders will sell off their
    "used" parts and I'll be happy to buy!!!!!

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Never can tell ... this might happen.

I got my 32 3W ... because the previous owner just knew that the Brookville coupe would ruin the value of the original 3W's :D

21. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

got a pair of his running boards for my 36 dont know where they were made but the quality was x-ellent every bolt hole dead on it .All his stuff I have found to be good stuff

22. 55chevr

55chevr

I would like to buy steel rear fenders and lose the plastic ones that I have now ... I bet this is going to be a big tag item ... like the new 55 Chevy fenders for a grand each.

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

If the bodies are $40K to 50K I will stick to fixing the originals! That would be a narrow market in my opioion.

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When all the pts are made (minus hood, front fenders)I think they are going to be very expensive-still need window molds,inner structure,drip rails, doors,etc.
    I can't see myself getting one when there are originals out there for cores that are fairly complete and good condition -know where there are some very nice rollers right now for $10-20K with all of the hard to find items-just my 2 cents

25. jangleguy

jangleguy

This has been Bob's goal since I've known him. Bob and the guys have put a LOT of time and energy into this deal, over many years. Unfortunately, reality made several interuptions to the '34 grille project, delaying it's debut and resulting in the "don't hold your breath" comments. Hopefully, lessons were learned on that deal and the '40 bodies will arrive when promised.
    Whatever happens, ya gotta hand it to the Drake marketing machine: The buzz has officially begun...

26. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Maybe the final travesty by the gold chain guys to kill hot rodding like they did
    drag racing.
    I think I'm going to throw up.
    Anybody want to buy my '40 coupe?

27. It would be nice, but given Drake's penchant for back orders I don't think I'll live long enough....LOL.

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Heck, I'm still waiting for the rest of my expensive "binder" catalog pages. LOL. Sure glad my 40 coupe is already in my shop. Joe

29. it seems like half his catalog is made in China

30. Sounds like a little something to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the '40. I haven't bought anything from Drake for my '40 yet, but the time is coming. I was a little stoked to see the '40 Ford coupe deck lid in their web site. The inner structure on mine needs too much work to make repair economical in time or money. The outer skin is salvageable though, and I intend to try. But if I end in fail it's good to see there is a sure thing at a cost though.

Now if someone would just make the port window garnish moldings, as has been mentioned.