Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New 1940 Willys project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This is the duplicate from the passenger side louvers to the drivers side. Check out how I made the louvers. The hole on the drivers side well, will be for the fender well headers to come out.:) The new louvers look bigger in the photo, but are the same size as the pass side:eek: The drivers side is done. I just put on some self etching primer. Sand and fill primer will do the rest. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wow, gonna be nice...tasteful too.

3. Tomastudor

Tomastudor

Really like this thread,very interesting I am doing almost the same things to my Willys.
    And build it the way you like it, its your car.

4. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you Tomastudor. Yes. And I'm doing just that.:D

5. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

These are the wheels that are going on the rear of the car. This is a test mockup to test the fit.( Looking good.) The tires are P255/70/R15 on 8" Real Rodder Wheels.... ;)

Attached Files:

6. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Very nice work, keep at it and thanks for the pics.

Dave

7. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Been working on the doors and how they fit. Ready to take body of the frame. Just waiting for the fender well headers. The 9" Ford rear axle has been shortened will be running 3:73 Trac Lock. Axles and third member from Dutchman. I will be using ladder bars. Drums in the rear. The front axle is ready to be chromed. I've been grinding all the casting ribs and getting a good look as to how the finish will come out.:)

Attached Files:

8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You are one lucky guy to be building a Willys coupe. Good work!

9. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Nice job, you're doing some great work!

10. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I just got my headers:) They fit just great. I didn't want them to go out threw the cowl. These as you can see #8 exhaust port pipe bends around to miss the fire wall and cowl. They have 3/8 flange and are 1.750 OD. I'm fitting the header threw the inter fender wells. I will make aluminum heat sink rings around the fender well opening's. The 3" collectors will have exhaust cut outs mounted to them. Should sound cool:cool: more pic's to come:D

Attached Files:

11. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

12. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Cut it up. No mercy. How many original examples are needed in this world? Before too long somebody will repop steel bodies.

13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Nice clean "adjustment" to that panel. Looks racey!

14. Hot Rod Willys,
    Looks very nice...I thought of cutting a panel from 37-39 inner fender panels, and graft it in to my panels on my '39 coupe. In stead, I had a local shop put the usual smaller lovers in the panel s (20 total per side) so I could get more air to exit the engine compartment... worked great.
    g-willys

15. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Junkman they are making all aluminum 40-41 Willys. Walt Austen here in Washington has one. Very Very Nice. Expensive too.:eek:

16. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

This is how the inter fender wells look with the heat sink rings installed. They will be installed after paint. They can also come apart so as to install and remove the inter fender section. Note how the headers fit nicely around the cowl. :D

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  17. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

hotrod-willys, hey the header treatment looks nice. are those a custom made set?

18. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Nice job on the headers!

19. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Hi cruzznn. They are made just for SBC to fit Willys. They are made for BBC also. Fast Time Rods:D

20. That thing is mint!! I looked at Willys pick up that was really just scrap and the guy wanted ten thousand for it!! Can't imagine what this guy paid for something that nice!!

21. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

left coast. The price 20 years ago was twice that much. I'm still working on the front sheet metal. The fenders are perfect at this point. The front wheels and tires look good. The grill center section is 90% done. The chrome grills fit perfect. The hood is ready to have delux trim holes drilled. the doors are fit and looking good. All front stock axle and other front end parts are being chromed at this time. Going slow.:)

perfection=time=$:eek:

Attached Files:

22. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

23. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I love it when a plan comes together. The body is off the frame and I'm ready to sand blast the frame. It is now time to get all the frame brackets installed and boxing the frame. I will show photo's od the chrome front end when back from the chrome shop. This is a mock up of the master cylinder using the stock pedal assembly.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  24. sick!!!

25. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

YES. Any one that has worked on cars for over 50 years is "Sick" :p
    With that being said. I'm to old to crawl around on the fool to get to things. so I try and make my life as easy as possible. I'm using engine stands to turn the Willys frame around so as to be able to drill out rivets and make patterns for the boxing. This works great and sure helps use old farts.:rolleyes:

PS This is a perfect way to paint the frame. Just keep turning and painting.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  26. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

27. wow a solid 40 willys

now thats something that is rare

28. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you Brian. We are having fun.

This is the set up I'm using for the rear end. 9" Ford, 3:73 Locker. Dutchman HD axles, Ladder bars and coil overs. Now to paint it black.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  29. farmer12

farmer12

Great workmanship so far, looking forward to how it eventually will turn out. Keep up the good work!

30. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

The frame is ready for sand blasting. All unnecessary hole have been filled. Photo of frame at sand blasters:)

Attached Files: