Register now to get rid of these ads!

never know what you may find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Feb 27, 2007.

1. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

no ones got scan of the barris book page 117 yet??!?!

fucking cool piece of history! i LOVE IT! i think it needs to be restored!

2. old beet

old beet

Phil, he works for Barrett Jackson, for real..............OLDBEET

3. Yes they are.....
    I know what a custom is.

4. :D I second the opinion that the front end looks like a big catfish. :D

It would look more appetizing rolled in bread crumbs and fried in a pan. :D :rolleyes:

P.S.: I don't think this has leaded bodywork. It's got rusty trails oozing out of the cracks in the bondo.

5. This one comes from the "Sci-Fi/Monster Movie/Space Age Bachelor Pad" Era of customs circa 1958-1963. Excess was in.

6. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

That thing is cool, you guys are smooking rocks....

7. guiseart

guiseart

Politely deal with the son, say kindly (while writing your name on a peice of paper - business cards are cold and impersonal in situations like this) "If you ever feel like selling the car, let me know" and walk away, forget about it.

Ugly or not, that's a cool peice of history... and would be neat to bring back to the road anyway you felt right.

8. guiseart

guiseart

...it does remind me of "Christine"s retarded half-sister though...

9. Beulah, or Mildred?

10. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

This car is the shit!!! Look at that shine!!! DSCF0010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
  11. lewislynn

lewislynn

It's unlawful to put ANYTHING that isn't official mail in a mail box.
    I know because I once distributed flyers for my business by leaving them in mail boxes, when I got home I had a message from the U.S. Postal Service to call them immediately.

12. Cool to see an original picture of this car. The years haven't been kind to the old girl.

13. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

That car would've looked alot better without those goofy tail-fin/box things sitting on the 1/4s.

Hudson31 likes this.
  14. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

any updates on this car yet from the owner??

15. I thought it might be a Pontiac also, by the rear wheel well treatment and the rockers...

16. rebstew187

rebstew187

If it doesn't rain cats and dog tomorrow I will be back over there late in the day trying to catch them after work. I don't want to go too late unless I have a bullet proof vest on. not the kind of place you walk around after it gets too late. I will keep you updated.

17. old beet

old beet

They work? .........OLDBEET

18. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

hahha,,i am guilty! thats really funny,,,,,, i actually wonder the same thing alot of times,,,you know,,when i read a thread and someone ask a qusetion that had already been answered a few post earlier,,,SORRY,,,,

....right now i feel like the guy who always bitches about people never usuing their turn signals,but then gets pulled over for not using his turnsignal! hahaha

ok,,back on topic(if you guys are reading this!)

that pic that someone posted of the car from the book is SO fuckin COOL!
    damn ,,that car looked pretty BITCHIN...!!!

19. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I did read it all...sorry if i missed what you said.

BTW...i`m 24....whatcha got against "young" guys?

Not everyone my age likes neon paint and big goofy spoilers...I probably know more about "old" cars than 90% of those twice my age.

20. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

LOL!

21. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Neither were the builders...

Okay, I had to chime in on this one- the 'Fonze' thread got me going, but I decided to remain silent on that one...

Unionville, I mean you no disrespect- all of this is my personal opinion. Everyone here can take it for what it is worth- if you like over the top customs, this is a dream.

I'm 31 and on the first photo my first thought was LINCOLN rear bumper used in the front. Gives the car a nice "fishmouth" look. Bwahh. Not right. It was used as a REAR for a reason. To finish off the car's design, not start it.

Keeping in mind this car was built in the "more is better" decade...tastes have changed. Show points aren't dictated anymore by how much gawdy stuff you tack on to a car. Back in the day it may have been a winner at shows- but we have 40 years of taste on this thing now, so...

I think it is gawd awful. My first inpression was that it wasn't too bad, but after REALLY looking at it, combined with what I know about 55 Chevys, I don't like it anymore.

The sad part is, it's MAYBE a $2000-8000 car depending on the buyer and how much work it needs. The closeups make it look like it needs quite a bit of work to even "restore" it to it's "former glory".

If it was a pristine '55 Chevy convert it would be worth, what- $30 to 40 grand?

Who would pay that kind of money for THIS car?...and if someone would- have at it bud...customising it in this fashion has diminished it's value, in my opinion. It doesn't make it worth much now. It may have made it worth more in the 60's but now...I dunno. It's not even good for a 55 Chevy parts car to a restorer.

I would take the car as is and restore it for posterity...(and try to get a museum to buy it) as a "rememberance" of how great the early 60's were.. :rolleyes:...but beyond that, I didn't know bondo could rupture and leak rust like skin rips and bleeds blood. I think this thing is a mess.

AND- before you all flame me- you all know what opinions are like...a$$holes...to each his own. I'm just adding my .02 like everyone else.

It's an old custom who's time has come and gone. Maybe the current owner realizes this, and isn't answering the door for fear he'd be offered less than he bought it for...many moons ago.

Like Doc said..."Not all History is good, but it should never be buried."

22. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

No tears here from this Tri-5 guy

23. 51special

51special

In all honesty, I think this car is a shining example of what makes kustom cars great. How many times do you go to a car show and see another chopped merc or shoebox ford? It's nice to see a tri-5 chevy that doesn't look a thing like a tri-5 chevy. Seeing kustoms like these at shows, you can tell they are original, cause they actually have some sort of style, rather than your typical chopped and lowered merc. That's what kustoms are all about...being different and original. This is a survivor that should be restored and perserved by the right person.

theman440 likes this.
  24. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I'm with Jonnycola here! The car looks ugly for sure but it's a part of hotrodding history and an icon of its own era. I'm glad it has been saved so far, hope the best later on as well. Even though that's not the best design it would be great to see this car on TRJ's pages with full history coverage.

Do you read this Rikster? :)

--mika

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In its day it looked bitchin' get it, fix it, and cruize in it. It deserves to be saved, dont blame the car for the owners poor taste. Its metal, what cant be done with it??

26. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I must say It did look a lot better in the newly finished pictures.

28. I don't think it looks that bad. Of course I grew up looking at my Dad's old Rodding & Restyling or Car Craft from about the time this car was done. There are a few things I would change (gasp!) but it's different (gasp!) and would be cool to drive around. If it can't be driven, then maybe the Starbird museum or some place like that should have it.

29. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I found these 2 pics that I took at the GoodGuys Indy show in 2000.It looked really nice then and was for sale. Kustom 55 2.jpg Kustom 55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2022
    rodncustomdreams and catdad49 like this.
  30. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

That is just WAAAY to KOOL!