Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nevala's 1929 Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nevala, Jul 15, 2011.

1. I've got a 1929 Ford roadster, that I plan to do up in the AV8 style. In my other thread, I've been describing my tear-down of the 8ba flathead that I plan to use in the car. Since the block is at the machine shop now, I thought maybe now is a good time to start my build thread.

[​IMG]

The car came from Tyler Texas and was formerly owned by a lawyer, who also spent time as a rodeo clown. He's in the Texas rodeo hall of fame. The car is running and driving with a banger and juice brakes as is, but on the last short trip, the wobble from the front end was atrocious.

If you've seen my other thread, you'll understand that I like to take pictures. In this project thread, I plan to use the TJJ iPhone app exclusively during the build. When I post, I'll actively be working on the project and monitoring the thread, so feel free to provide advice or if you need to see a specific area, I can take a picture.

With all that said, here we go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oj

oj

These are iphone pics? I'm impressed!
    Since this is 'live' you are lallygagging, no parts have hit the floor as yet - just thought i'd point that out.

3. Haha. Old parts are partial to sticking together, it seems.

Splash apron removed.

[​IMG]

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

My build thread's pictures are all exclusively iPhone pictures as well. I think a couple might have been taken with a Canon I checked out from school.

But my pictures aren't as good as yours! What app do you use to get the effect in those pictures?

Looking good!

iPhone - TJJ App

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Those are original forged steel bumper clamps and steel backing plates with tapered edges holding the bumpers on that car. It may be loaded with real Ford parts rather than the diecast reproduction stuff from the 70s-80s. All that OEM Model A stuff makes a restored car or a hotrod authentic to the nines.

6. Hipstamatic. Great black and white stuff images, I love em.

Bumper brackets.

[​IMG]

Interesting job on the spring perches. Is that brazed?

[​IMG]

7. I like hot rods. To the scrap heap!

(jokes; I'm keeping it all safe and sound and bagging all hardware)

8. Do the hood latch screws fasten through the frame? Feels like there's wood blocks under there.

9. Ouch, yes they do.

[​IMG]

10. The hood latches are kicking my ass, so my attention has strayed a bit...

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

Almost looks like the 40 Ford drums I just traded off.

[​IMG]

12. Ok, I've hit the stopping point for today. I've found some things that have to be addressed.

The spring leaves that are in the car now are all shifted. I am pretty sure that's what caused the shimmy from hell.

[​IMG]

This might have been caused by the spring perches that exemplify the statement "it's the thought that counts". It looks like they shaved the entire back off of stock perches and brazed or welded bar stock to the removed area. Its not in a safe condition to drive in my opinion.

Anyhow I put the bias ply on the front to check it out. A dropped axle is in the mix, and I'll only know how much I need to drop after I get the fenders off. Here's what the front end looks like at the end of today's work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. When I read the title of this thread, I thought maybe this guy was building a '29 Roadster:

All joking aside, your AV8 build looks pretty interesting ... and the Hipstamatic iPhone pics are kinda cool ... I'll definitely be following this thread.

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Do you have a clear picture in your head what you want your AV8 to look like in the end or are you deciding as you go?

So far, we know you're building an AV8 with an 8BA flattie. Are you aiming for period correctness or will we be seeing some modern parts in the build? Going to keep the fenders or lose then?

You're doing good work. Keep it up!

iPhone - TJJ App

15. I'm back out in the garage today after a series of mishaps, including a complete dunking of my phone into a bucket of water. A few days rest for the phone in a container of dry rice has put me back in business. I know it's an odd way of taking care of this build, however I really want to stick with this method of documentation.

I have a fairly clear picture in my head of what I want to achieve. In Mr. Bishop and Mr. Tardel's book, there is a picture of the Mark Smith roadster. There's one picture and an illustration of the car in racing form. I have been unable to locate (without making phone calls) any other photos of the car.

My deviation from that car, is that I would like to not have to split the rear radius rods. It may have been required in his case, to allow clearance with the frame rails, but I have seen a couple threads that detailed modifications to the radius rods that would seem to be suitable for clearance.

The stance to that car, in my opinion, is perfect.
    The rear wheel arch and tire radius seem to match so closely.
    The rake of the windshield is not as pronounced as the other roadsters I've seen pictures of.
    It appears that the gas tank is preserved in it's original location, which is preferable to me.

The rest of the build, I intend to follow the Traditional Ford hot rod book closely. I have gathered up some of the parts required, including frame rails and crossmembers. I'd like to keep the car as drivable as possible during the build.

Last time, we saw that the front spring perches are kind of hokey. I've found some replacements and they're on the way. Today, I'm working on cleaning up the crossmembers that I have.

Here's a picture of the rear crossmember, prior to any work:

[​IMG]

I'm going to disassemble this by removing the rivets, make my plan for rust removal, and straighten it out.

16. OLLIN

OLLIN

17. Forgot about the time sink that is "refilling the air compressor".

Hey Ollin, thanks again for the trade!

18. Ay! It's a nice stormy day, so I'm back at it, and in the garage. Today, I'm working on the rear of the car. The hope is to get the rear bumper assembly and start on fender and running board removal.

The roadster is a 29, and a rumble seat car. As a matter of fact, the upholstery on the rumble seat is better than the interior. Now when I took the spare off, I noticed a big bubble of cracked filler. Its gotta be fixed right, so I took a screwdriver and plied the resin ravioli out. What was underneath surprised me.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1318113846.371424.jpg

Was this a trunk car panel that someone modified into a rumble? That sure looks like a key hole spot to me.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Original57

Original57

Really enjoying the b&w pics Nevala. Good to see something a little different.

20. You know, it struck me that it's really authentic, what's going on here. I'm not trying to brag, but it's humbling to be doing the same kinda thing that the boys back from the war might have been doing. While they might have been more adventurous by heading out to the salt when all was said and done, I feel like I'll really have accomplished something if I can get this car to the revolution show.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1318114813.535035.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Yep, that is the original deck latch/handle hole for the deck lid which was converted to a rumble lid.

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Damn....aesthetically interesting images...funny dialog.....and a great car being built...cool thread!....but I liked the bigger pics. Keep it up man....nice stuff!

23. Well, I think I'm ending for today with the question of "Where in the hell is my half inch wrench?". Both bumpers are off and it's down to the actual bumper supports, which take a half inch wrench on the top of the sub-rails.

I figure what I'm going to do for the time being is grind off the rivets on these supports, turn them sideways, and use them to hold the original tail light assemblies.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1318119603.711358.jpg

24. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

pics were great

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I can't read it! Fuck it, we're doing it live!

26. So this is where I'm at as of today:

[​IMG]

I'm removing the fenders, and I've got the front end mostly off. I'm jamming as fast as I can in an effort to make it to the Hot Rod Revolution on the 10th of December.

A while ago, I shot a picture of the spring perches; well, it appears that the brazing job took place while the perches were in the axle and they're brazed to the wishbone. I picked up another Model A wishbone, and I'll probably end up using that.

I made a couple trips up near Fort Worth, and scored a few parts:

Aforementioned wishbone
    Full, and apparently no leaks gas tank for 28-29 Ford - I can use this or the tank currently on the car to make a smooth top when I relocate the tank.
    Two Model A axle bells so that I can use the spring mounts on the 40 rear axle I have.
    A Model T rear spring.
    3 59ab flathead engines. 1 of them is a marine engine, I thought the water pump replacements were kind of interesting. I'll probably use these blocks for learning how to relieve the flathead, if they're cracked or too far gone.
    A set of 16" ribbed trim rings.
    Two early Ford columns of some sort. One of them has the wheel and the light switch still attached. I mainly bought them for the column drops, but this light switch intrigued me. It's got the V8 symbol on it, and the chrome is still decent.

Anyhow, I'm trying to put full days into the car until its ready to drive to the show. I'll post more as work goes on.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Trying to finish this before the Revolution? :eek: Good luck.

iPhone - TJJ App

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Looking good.

29. metalix_421

metalix_421

lookin good I dig the touch of the black and white.