Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need wiring help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Black, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

Started wiring my trailer last night to make the trip to pick up my cab.... I have blinkers and brake lights but no tail lights. IM not sure if this is something i have to have but i am assuming so. The wiring kit i have has a white wire(ground) and two sets of two wires. One yellowand brown one green and brown. I wired the green side to the passenger side and the yellow side to the drivers side. My new lights have two wires coming out of them one red and one black. I wired the brown to the black and the colered wires to the red wires on the light. Do i need additional wiring? OR did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance

2. specialk

specialk

Quick troubleshooting:

Grab a 12v battery, put ground to black and positive to each of your other leads (yellow and then green). At the same time (with a helper) check which lights on the trailer light up, one will be far brighter than the other -- this is the turn signal, the other is the running lights. You'll have to probe the wires in your car to find which ones perform the same functions.

This works for any vehicle that does not have a separate yellow turn signal. In that case, you 'll need an adapter and a few more minutes.

3. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

the lights i put on it have one bulb if that helps.
    :

Grab a 12v battery, put ground to black and positive to each of your other leads (yellow and then green). At the same time (with a helper) check which lights on the trailer light up, one will be far brighter than the other -- this is the turn signal, the other is the running lights. You'll have to probe the wires in your car to find which ones perform the same functions.

This works for any vehicle that does not have a separate yellow turn signal. In that case, you 'll need an adapter and a few more minutes.[/QUOTE]

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

If the lights you put on have one bulb and two wires you have yourself a set of TAILLIGHTS. You need lights that have either two bulbs or a dual filament bulb. What you hooked up was red(power) and black(ground). The correct light should have three wires. Ground, power for taillight, and power for T/S. For the record:
    White-Ground
    Brown-Taillight
    Yellow-Left T/S and Brake
    Green-Right T/S and Brake

5. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

Can i put in a dual filament bulb in these lights or do i need to get three wire lights with dual bulbs?

6. Wowcars

Wowcars

You need to get at the VERY least new sockets, but probably all new lights. Dual filament bulbs are made to not even fit in single sockets. Look at the alignment pins, dual element bulbs have them offset, single are straight across from each other.

7. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

So the wiring kit i used is fine? I just need two new lights?

8. Wowcars

Wowcars

9. Johnny Black

Johnny Black

[Alright. Thanks man.

10. specialk

specialk

What's the number on the bulb? 1057 IIRC is a dual filament, 1056 (again IIRC) is a single.

11. xadamx

xadamx

Some taillights are self-grounded with the ground inside the light, like aftermarket '39 Ford and '50 Pontiac lights. They have 2 wires coming out, one for the taillight and one for the brakes. Maybe you have some lights that do this? Dunno, just a thought...I mention this because I just hooked up the pressure brake switch off my master cylinder and wired it all up to the taillights. Two wires...one to the lights and one to the fuse block(power/battery).

12. squirrel

squirrel

take a bulb out of one of the trailer lights, and look at the bulb, and look at the socket. There should be two little round contacts in the socket, and two little round contacts on the bottom of the bulb. And the bulb should say 1157 on it.

If any of these aren't so, let us know....