Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need unusual motor suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruthish, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Bruthish

Bruthish

Need some help with motor ideas. Had my mind set on a straight 8 for my 30 coupe....but after some research I have realized they have very low HP and can take a ton of money to get them even at moderate power. I just want something that is not the same run of the mill small blocks. Any ideas to brainstorm?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. FANTM58

FANTM58

From what I have seen
    The chev straight 6 can be made to put out some
    Respectable power , and they have some cool speed parts for them.

3. 50shoe

50shoe

pick one: cheap or unusual.

seriously, small blocks are popular because they are cheap.

but if you were planning on a straight 8, how about a ford 300 six? not vintage, but different.

4. Any oddball is going to cost you plenty

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

gee whiz, there are a ton of non-sbc candidates. Not sure what you mean by unusual, there's not really an engine out there that hasn't enjoyed being enveloped by a car in which it did not come OEM. The old Packard V8s are torque monsters, Nash had a lovely 327 back in 57 or so that will get your car scooting along. Studebaker V8s in all configurations have been fairly popular back 'in the day'. You have to realize that if you want more power out of the engine that it came with originally, the 'unusual' engines won't have a lot of available speed equipment - either factory or aftermarket. Packards had a dual quad version, Nash offered a 4bbl, Studebakers were available in a high state of optional tune - Avanti R2 and R3, even the earlier Paxton-blown Studes from 55-62 or so. Most other V8s are popular enough with traditional rodders (Cad, Olds, Buick nailhead, Mopars of all sizes and types) that they wouldn't be considered unusual. You can try a V12 flatty, V8 Cad flatty, any inline other than Fords, GMC or Chev, but you run into the problem of finding adaptors, headers, multiple intakes, pistons, cams, and every other kind of performance-enhancing parts and pieces. There's reason them puppies are "unusual", largely based on disinterest by those of us that enjoy putting the HOT in hot rod.

dj

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

Jag in-line six from the mid 60's puts out 265 hp and does 150 mph in sports cars. I see the jag engine for sale on CL alot, in the SF Bay area. Will look unique in your engine bay. May even be able to get a GM tranny to bolt up.

7. afaulk

afaulk

Save yourself a lot of headaches and build a nice little solid lifter 289 Hi Po, with a five speed. Keeping it all Ford, and they run so sweet. You wont regret it.

8. How much HP are you looking for, that straight 8 really has a cool factor. I can see some thing different if you are building a drag car or some thing. Put a 5or 6 speed behind it and let some gear help. Just my thought.

9. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

I have a mid 60's all aluminum Rolls Royce IOE straight six with automatic transmission. Approx 175 horse. It will look awesome polished. It's in a rusted out Vanden Plas. I just haven't figured out what to use it in...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  10. rusty A

rusty A

I ve been planning on running a turbo 2.3l in my A pickup cheap and lots of them around

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'd look at it from another angle to narrow the field.
    What kind of engine weight are you hoping for?
    What kind of power and operating RPM fits your ideals?
    What trans (adapter) do you want to bolt on the back?
    The rest (ignition, fuel, cooling) shouldn't be a big variance.
    What are your fab skills/budget?

Any 50s V8 could be done (aside from the flatty, Ford and SBC)
    Any inline 6 could be done.

12. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

I am a big fan of the Pontiac overhead cam six from the sixties. It is a really cool look.

13. I saw a corvair engine up front that was really unusual and pretty freaking coil.

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

I'm not sure if you could put a straight 8 into a model A and keep the proportions looking OK. Them things are really long going into a pretty small engine bay. My worthless .02

15. 4 banger sprint motor. stay true to the car and era

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Alfa DOHC four. Looks line an Offy/Miller. Doesn't get much cooler than that, and they come already hooked to a nice little 4 spd.

17. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I vote for the 300 inline 6. They can make good power with a intake change, headers and a better cam. Unfortunatly they dont make any performance heads for them that I know of. Or you could go with a 225 slant 6. They also can make good power and they dont look like your run of the mill inline 6. Both of these engines will run forever and are very tough.

18. Model As are short in the engine bay. A straight 6 or 8 will need a substantial frame stretch.

I have a 65 Buick 300 put back. I bought it to flip the relatively rare four barrel intake. But the more I read and the more I look at it the more interested I become.

The problem with low interest motors is parts availability and cost. Before you put out any cash for a builder search the web for rebuild parts, main and rod bearings, pistons, valves, water pumps, and etc. Old cars were parked for a reason. Usually funny noises, smoke and strange vibrations. Expect the worst.

19. Seagrave, Allison, or Deutz.

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Mercruiser 4 Cylinder w/ Ford Shotgun head

see here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256713&highlight=mercruiser

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

22. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Ford 250 Inline 6. [ the log manifold variety ] They weigh about 380 lbs and have a SBF bellhousing pattern.
    Early Ford 200 flattop pistons drop in to get approx 10:1 , they’re easy to convert to points less ignition etc and they don’t overheat.

For that Traditional look keep the 1 barrel carb but also drill and weld [or braze] another 4 flanges [2 either side] to make a 5 carb manifold similar to the old GMC system.
    The heads flow quite well on these engines, but the intake manifold starves them of air.

Use a progressive linkage for drivability and economy, sandblast and black crinkle paint the valve cover and leave the brazed flanges unpainted [in the spirit of backyard modifications]

23. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Can't really go wrong with a Studebaker 259/289. Super strong engines, but a bit on the heavy side. About 25lbs. more than a Y-Block or a Chevy 348/409. But what you get is: forged crank and rods, gear drive cam, solid lifters, and the highest nickle content block casting of any American V-8!
    Parts availability and cost is decent. And it's Traditional (last produced in 1964).
    A Real Hot Rod needs a V-8!

24. Dapostman

Dapostman

Hudson 6, but I've always wanted to build a straight 8 30s streamliner.

25. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

26. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Nobody's suggested Olds 215 aluminum V8 with a turbocharger yet, so I just did.
    (just saw a '61 V8 non-turbo F-85 with factory air sell at the L.A. County estate auction for $325!! Somebody got a screaming deal...)

28. walker

walker

I have a 120hp electric motor from the 20's, you could go electric AND period correct!

Otherwise a J.A.P. Aero V-8 would be cool, likley only run you about 30k or so. A little more mainstream, but plenty unique and plenty of speed pars available would be the Iron Duke.
    If you still think you can shoehorn a straight 8 into it, then just put a turbocharger on it. Relatively inexpensive power.

29. walker

walker

I also know of a Stidebaker flathead 6 that would be cool.

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Packard, GMC 302 inline, Hudson Twin-H, polysphere mopar, Kaiser supersonic six, Willys "Go-devil" 4 popper, flathead caddy....

Were talking different right?