Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need Suggestions to Free a Stuck Stud in an Aluminum Manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldmics, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Like it says
    Al manifold with a stuck carb stud made out of steel.
    Can I heat it?

Thanks in advance and yes I did do a search

Oldmics

2. inthweedz

inthweedz

You can heat the alloy no problem, just don't get it so hot it melts..
    It shouldn't take much where it will expand more than the steel stud allowing the stud to turn..
    Is the stud complete or broken off??
    If complete, wind two nuts onto the thread and lock them together, when the manifold is hot, turn the lower nut with a spanner, you should have that stud out no problem.. if its broken, vise grips work great if there is enough to latch on to..
    If its only a small stub, put a nut over the stud and bronze or mig it to the stud, buy the time you have finished welding, the stud / manifold will probably be hot enough to release the thread.
    Hope this helps..

Truck64 likes this.
  3. stimpy

stimpy

I would heat the manifold then put some wax ( candle wax or canning wax ) on the base of the stud and let it melt and let it cool a little , the heat will draw the wax in the threads lubricating them , then lightly tighten( helps breaks the thread bond ) then loosen the stud out with the 2 nut method and put the nuts as close to the bottom as possible so not to strain the stud and snap it . and be patient , sometimes heating it twice and waxing it makes them screw out easily .