Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some tig welding advice on headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930ModelA, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need some help on tig welding advice on headers.

I am building a set of headers for my flatty I have everything welded up except at the header flange.

What is the best way to weld the tubing to the flange on the inside. I am using 16 gauge tubing and 5/16" flanges.

I am thinking of using like 1/16" tungsten and 1/16" (er70) filler, 90 amps.

Also should I do the outside. I would prefer not to do the outside but if its best I am thinking about doing Silicon bronze there.

Any tips to make it any easier on me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

2. Definitely a nice Bronze fillet on the outside.

3. kenny g

kenny g

If you use bronze . brass .You won't be able reweld steel parts .It is just about imposible to clea n the brass off.it eats into the steel.

4. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How can I help from burning through the tubing (16 guage) when welding to the header flange

5. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Everything you mentioned sounds great.Weld them on the inside,90 amps will probably be a little hot for 1/16".

6. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

When I build headers, I mig weld the outside first completly before removing the headers, then tig weld them on the inside.

7. bolt_boy_49

bolt_boy_49
    from USA

The way I would do it is start your puddle on the flange then move towards the tube so you have maybe 25% heat on the tube and 75% on the flange. If you were really worried you might be able to put a piece of copper rod inside your flange that matches the ID of your tube.

Set up some scrap 16ga and 5/16 plate and try it first.

Al

8. JonF

JonF

Cut a countersink/bevel on the inside of the header flange. stick a header into the hole, pound the tube out to the countersink/bevel, then tig by directing heat mostly into the flange wipping up to the tube.

9. mrputz1

mrputz1
    from saratoga

Manfactured headers are welded on the inside so as not to screw up the chrome etc

10. Lucky3

Lucky3

Definately use Silicon Bronze filler rod.
    Miller has a web page on settings for TiG welding.
    www.millerwelds.com and enter "Welding Calculator" up in the search window. Really helpful for the size and type of electrode to use as well as the size of the filler rod and how much gas to flow.

Good luck !!

11. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

x2 ^^^^

12. 1930ModelA

1930ModelA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks everyone for the help I am going to have a go at it this weekend, I will post pics when complete.