Register now to get rid of these ads!

need some opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Sep 6, 2003.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

ok people, Trying to decide what to do witht he bumpers on the 60 since they're nto the least bit shiny, and one of them had some bondo and a coat of pepto primer on it when i got the car. The body of the car is going to be black, and the roof and interior is gonna be blue with flake. Should i just do the bumpers black too to match the body of what? Can't afford Chroming but i want the car too look all around good. Thought of molding in the bumpers but i know the car will look alot better if it gets some chrome bumpers on it one day and I'm not gonna screw those chances up. Heres a pic to show what I'm working with.

Attached Files:

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I thought maybe if i painted the bumpers body color, it would look good if i did the blue/flake in the ribbed area behind the lisence plate. heres a pic of the front.

Attached Files:

3. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my 2 cents: How about metallflake silver? It would be a good contrast to the black body and a kind of kustom touch.

4. [ QUOTE ]
    Just my 2 cents: How about metallflake silver? It would be a good contrast to the black body and a kind of kustom touch.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second that emotion!

5. seldom scene

seldom scene

Why not search for some better bumpers?

6. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

silver flake bumpers with a black body and blue flake roof? I dunno how that sounds, can anyone photoshop it so i can get an idea? I'm doing the roof and stuff blue to match the light blue seats. As far as getting better bumpers, remember I'm on the east coast and there ain't a whole lot of good 43 year old chrome layin' around.

7. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

It's not like i bought the paint or anything yet, so i guess i could do the body of the car blue so I would still have a color to match the seats, then i could do the roof and bumpers silver base with silver flake. maybe even lay out the rest of the body with blue flake on a metallic blue base? this sucks, eveytime i think i have it down to what i want to do something comes up to make me change my mind. Help me out people.

8. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

heres the only interior pic i got, I don't like this light color blue enough to use it anywhere else on the car, but it's just too mice of a T&R job to screw up trying to dye it or getting rid of it. If i used a darker color blue do you guys think it would still look alright?

Attached Files:

9. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

What about having them podwer coated. You could have them powder coated in a number of colors and in differing finishes(Satin, Gloss, Flat). They even have one that looks like chrome without the high shine factor.

10. Shiva69

Shiva69

there is a chrome process for headers like cermakrome or something... i don't know what it'll cost but its an idea

Garth

11. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

Leave them the way they are till you can get them chromed.

12. DA them down to bare metal and just shoot them with clear til you can chrome them. Or leave em alone til you can get to them I think painting them would look tacky but thats just my two cents worth. Or paint them and pin strip the hell out of them.

13. There are lots of colors of silver that resemble a metal finish- some have lots of mica and or groung glass that sparkle real good and some are amatte silver- sounds like a plan to me......do the grille-headlite trim- and any moulding left on car the same......

14. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

actually thought about the clearing over the bare metal, but since theres some bondo in that front bumper, I'm guessing theres gonna be a couple of rough spots. I don't think it'll be all that tacky if i shot them silver w/silver flake along with the roof. That is if i can acutally find a color of blue i don't hate to go with the uphosltry. The powder coating and stuff is out, it's gotta be a DIY solution a college student can afford.

15. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

I say leave them as is until you can afford to rechrome them...

hardly anything is as nice as new chrome along with new paint...

(if you're into new paint and chrome that is...)

...my opinion...

16. ramrod

ramrod
    from NJ

How about shooting them the same blue flake as the roof?

17. Robert

Robert

Save your allowance and get them chromed! [​IMG]

18. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i agree with ramrod,but i'd take it a step further and metal flake the dash and the wheels and anything else that isn't flat black or chrome or stainless,sometimes over the top is just right... [​IMG]

19. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Find a different model 59-60 GM car and swipe it's shiny bumpers. Why not? Ran a 59 Buick rear bumper on my car till I tore it off by accident and bent the hell outta it.

I gotta spare 60 Buick front bumper you could use.

20. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I'm definately flaking the dash and interior garnish moldings. I would use otehr bumpers, but theres no where around here to find shit like that that would be in better shape than what i have, and it costs to much to buy and ship stuff from far away. So far the silver flake seems to be the most appealing

21. I was gonna say " 'flake em", but the more I think about...wait and save the $$$ up to get them chromed. New chrome bumpers will make you very happy. I'll bet, if you wait a little, some decent bumpers will turn up and you can get them chromed. It doesn't cost as much as you think, either.

22. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

damnit i don't knwo what to do with the shit. If i do end up painting them, that doesn't mean i (or whoever has the car) still can't get a nicer set down the road.I'm just trying to figure out what to do to make things look as "finished" as i can.

23. Spooky

Spooky

"Why not search for some better bumpers?"-Seldom Scene-
    I agree with our brutha here. I too am always getting by on rubbing pennies together and asking those who have stuff they do not need. So, why not do the same? Here are a few ideas-
    1-remove the rear bumper and save the guards. Roll a pan and where the neat body lines come down and meet the bumper, attach the guards there.

2-Look for a set of '58-'60 T-Bird rear bumpers and use the upper bumper pieces that include the bullet.

3-Grind the muthas down to bair metal front and rear and keep rust free with WD-40.
    Let us know what ya do.
    [​IMG]