Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Some Information on this 47-53 Chevy Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Jul 10, 2017.

1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Considering buying this truck, but need a little information first. This looks like a 1-Ton or larger 47-53 Chevy truck. It has what looks like a hydraulic pump is in between the frame rails. This leads me to believe that it was once a dump truck. If that is so, would it be a model larger than a 1-Ton, and would the cab still be the same as say a 1/2 ton if I changed the fenders. I am wanting to build it as a 1/2 ton, but the cab looks huge. I guess I could try to drop it on a 3/4 ton Chevy frame but am in uncharted waters here. Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

cabs are the same. The only different cab is the cabover models, which look quite a bit different.

look up the parts in the Chevy parts book...

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/index.htm

it also has info about the model numbers, serial number, etc so maybe you can figure out just what it is. Early trucks did not have vent windows, later ones had pushbutton doors, so it's probably early 50s.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's a '51 - note the vent window/pull door handle '51 only feature. The cab is a bolt-on for any late '47 thru '53 chassis, 3100 up. Worst thing usually found in big trucks - holes punched everywhere in dash & floor for long gone equipment & controls. The mice don't seem to like the 6000 series as much as the smaller trucks ...

Hnstray and squirrel like this.
  4. oldolds

oldolds

I am told the hood and fenders are longer on the big trucks. Never tried to interchange then myself.

5. squirrel

squirrel

The parts book says the Commercial (1/2 thru 1 ton) and Utility (1.5 ton and up) use different hoods. And the fenders are obviously different, the wheel opening is a lot larger.

6. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'll bet it would fit well on a full size pick-up frame 67-85 just as it is.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  7. redo32

redo32

I don't know about the '51, but 53&4 big truck grills are bigger too.

8. ...it could've been a grain truck with a hoist, the grille/front fenders are bigger than a half ton, (the grille has 1/4" more space between each bar)...
    ,...one tons and smaller all use the same front sheetmetal as a halfton.
    ...halfton frame is by itself.
    ...looks real solid ....someone may want the chassis/larger sheetmetal.

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Couple more photos of it. Thanks for the information guys. I think I'm going to make an offer to him.

Attached Files:

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Later production '51. No series # on hood, no stainless trim on dash. Looks like they got to the radio hole, which is normal. Looks complete, and it may have a 60 lb. oil pressure gauge - looks big enough to be 235 powered when new.
    That'll make a fine 3100 ...

11. ...you can do it, you just need to find a donor 1/2 ton,...sell off what you can of the big truck...
    I built this 50 GMC from a one ton grain truck...that's all the same cab and front sheetmetal, the bed was a 2 wheel trailer,...

50 gmc 1 ton 5-15-13 004.jpg 50 gmc build 195.jpg

jeffd1988 and Terrible80 like this.