Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help on the 56' Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitysix, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

I hope this finds everybody well. I am re-couping from gallbladder surgery so i have had alot of time to browse the HAMB trying to find answers to some questions. I have found alot of great stuff but, alas that seems to always spawn more questions.
    1) Does anyone here know if there is a bolt on replacement manual steering box to replace the power steering box in my Roadmaster? And if so what would be needed to accomplish such a task?

2) I have also run across postings about a oil filter adapter for the 322 nailhead so that you are able to run a spin-on oil filter...where ...what .....how ..huh?

3) In my same searches I have heard that the timing cover from a 401 will fit the 322 is this so? I am trying to get rid of the fuel/vacuum pump to go with the normal mech style pump. I am not using the vacuum operated windshield wipers as I am going 12v. If this is is true would I need the water pump for the 401 or is the 322 WP the same.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can offer.
    Fitysix

2. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

First question...dont know
    Second question...yes...and I have one...pm me for details...Ive used many of them, they work great.
    Third question 401 will fit, but you have to use the 401 water pump, which you can get at Pepboy, they make them brand new..and theyre cheap!

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Seems you're hooked up on the spin-on filter.
    Manual box conversion--any from '54-'56 will work. Pay attention to Specials, since they were the bottom of the line and weren't regularly optioned with power accessories.

Yes on the timing cover--as said, you'll need to use the later water pump.
    Another option to get rid of the ugly fuel pump is to surf E-bay or vintage parts houses looking for a fuel pump to a '57-'59 Chevy big truck. They had 322 Nailheads in them, with the conventional fuel pump. I bought two over about two years on ebay, and passed on a couple others.

-Brad

4. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Thanks Gentlemen. I recognized your names from my searching. So on the steering box I don't need to lengthen anything or a different pitman arm etc....?
    Fitysix