Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help-old Napa turn signals wiring diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RichG, Jun 1, 2009.

1. RichG

RichG

Okay, I'm trying to wire up a car (my first "real" effort at it) and I've run into another snag. The turn signal switch I'm putting in in an old Napa universal switch, the patent number on the back is 1964!

The switch face says "NAPA 638". I've spent about an hour now trying to find a wiring diagram online for the switch without even the slightest bit of luck. So, if there's a Hamber out there who has a diagram for this thing I'd be very grateful, or if someone knew where the diagram could be found, that'd be sweet too.:D

Thanks guys.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with 400roadrunner, it's not very difficult. Use a multi-meter and ring it out.

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Taillight king website has schematics for 6 wire and 7 wire systems.

4. RichG

RichG

There is no identification on the wires at to what's what.

...and you're right, I could sit down with my multimeter and spend the next who-knows-how-long ringing the thing out, but then I thought, "hey, it's the HAMB, someone is bound to have a diagram, that'd be the easy way out..."

Thanks Swade41 and plym 46 for the link help:D

5. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

most likely a signal stat unit with a NAPA label on it and I'm betting NAPA or Signal Stat can get you the diagrams you need,Or just ask Jaws on here bet he knows!

6. here's one more that I had

Attached Files:

7. RichG

RichG

This is a pic of the unit I'm trying to use, the "NAPA 638" is on the face of it, I think it's strange I can't find any reference to it on the internet...:confused:

It is a seven wire unit, so I may try ringing it out according to one of the diagrams I have for generic turn signals, see what shakes loose:D

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      330.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      239.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Richardoville

Richardoville
    from Arizona

In case somebody else needs the actual intructions for the 638 switch in the future:

Attached Files:

9. azspeedbuggy

azspeedbuggy

1st post on this forum.
    I'm trying to use a Napa 638 too, on a 55 chevy 210 sedan...so far, no brake lights or rear turn signals. thanks to "Richardoville" for the diagram, helped alot, thanks for posting. All other lights work: dash lights, turn signal indicators in the dash, front turn signals, include 4 way flashers...front and rear and the lights in the Napa unit (red light for 4-way flasher and green lights for turn signals). My brake light switch works, rear bulbs are good and wires to rear turn signals are good (same bulbs and wire for 4-way flashers action). if I take the Napa unit out of the picture and hook up the wires as OEM, brake lights work great. I followed the wiring diagram that was posted above. I think it could be a bad Napa unit...internally? comments? Thanks!