Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need some front brake hub identification, think 40 & up ford car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cajunfirehawk, Sep 17, 2018.

1. fullsizeoutput_1a87.jpeg fullsizeoutput_19e0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1a7f.jpeg IMG_6312.JPG Need positive confirmation on these front drums/w hub please:
    • Assume these hubs don't separate?
    • Also assume these wheel studs have to be "cut/drilled" out versus modern style pressed out? (but once cut out modern press in studs can be installed?)
    • As shown in last pic I assume I have Lockheed style front mounting plates and I cannot add bendix style drums w/hubs on these Lockheed plates?
    • Whats driving all of these questions is, I need longer wheels studs up front...due to safety concerns about current studs being too short.
    Thoughts?

Thanks HAMB'ers!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This question was addressed in another thread very recently. You can press out the swedged studs...I have done it on a '47 Ford a few years ago. The important thing to know and adhere to...support the drum hub with a suitable long socket (impact type best) or piece of pipe while pressing out the old stud. The swedged area of the old stud will just shear when the stud passes though the hub. Press in suitable new studs and support the hub while pressing in new studs.

Ray

cajunfirehawk likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy

I assume you really want to add Bendix backing plates and use the drums you have.
    You can use the Buick drums on the hubs and use the backing plates you have also.
    The drums/hubs you have will work perfectly well with the Bendix backing plates. Not the f2/f250 ones though. Just the original Lincolns, Wilsons and MT versions.
    The studs can be removed easily with a 5/8 deep hole saw. It does not need to be bimetal.
    Use a socket and a drill to turn it and remove the soft swedge. It will be easy to drive the studs out then. Still support the hub with a deep socket or pipe.
    The parts you have are 46-48 Ford.
    Finding replacement studs may take some digging. The serrations need to engage the hub.. They need to end up with the serrations flush with the hub. I have used washers to adjust length.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Look for studs in Dorman Products catalog. That is where I found what I needed.

5. Thanks Ray and Andy, just trying to cover all of my bases and come up with a good plan, you know safety first esp in the sue happy state where I live.

Hnstray likes this.