Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need small block Chevy help!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadpete, Jan 31, 2004.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I aquired a '92 350. I may be the oddball of the whole world when I say I've never actually rebuilt a sbc. What needs to be done to make an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake work with the stock heads? Here's my combo: all new valvetrain, 1.5 roller rockers, Z28 springs, 1.94/1.60 valves, GM 'Hot Cam', 9:1 pistons on stock but cleaned up rods. I want to run the Edelbrock intake with a Street Avenger 670 Holley. Keep in mind this is my dailey driver and will have to be for quite some time. Pete

2. jdubbya

jdubbya

A few bolts, gaskets, and permatex. Wrenches usually come in handy also! [​IMG]

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Smart ass! The heads are different some how. And what about duct tape? Will that work? mabe some bailing wire for a distibutor hold down? I can do this! [​IMG]

4. Mutt

Mutt

You've got vortec heads, and will have to have a Vortec manifold to bolt on.

Dan

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Negative, the 92 has center bolt heads. The two middle bolts on each side of the intake are different angle than the rest. The Vortec heads came later. They are completely different.

You'll need to modify the two holes per side with a grinder.

Here's one of my intakes I did this to. All you have to do is slot the holes enough to allow the different angled bolts to thread in to the head.

click here because I can't figure out how to post the friggin picture!

I've been putting these engines into earlier cars for awhile now. I've got a buddy who gets them for me for real cheap.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's it? I can do that! [​IMG] Now, how about my 4.3 flywheel? Will it work? The damper? I know all the accessories off the V6 will bolt right on the V8. Man, who knew small block chevy's were so difficult?

7. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Assuming the 4.3 has 1 piece rear main seal like the V8 does, the flywheel is bolt on too, as well as the starter.

4.3s use a thinner harmonic balancer though.

I've swapped tons of 88-95 GM 4.3 V6 trucks over to V8 setups. It's an easy 1 day job.

8. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I forgot to say, you'll need the V8 spec crank pulley too. The V6 balancer is a little thin thing and the pulley is a lot thicker to compensate. The normal thick V8 balancer uses the thinner pulley.

Then, using the V8 balancer and crank pulley, all of the rest of the front end accesories bolt right on. Same water pump works too of course.