Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Rear End advice.. What to get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IRON MAIDEN, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You should have at least gotten the driveshaft :)
    They are ALUMINUM. At least the Pull-A-Part junk yards are full of Explorers and a driveshaft should be a cheap and easy purchase. Maybe GO to where the Explorer is and BUY the driveshaft ??? :D

2. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

I'll worry about it when I actually need it. I'm trying to stay on coarse and not jump ahead. Get what I need as I need it. Wish I would of spent the extra 5-10 minutes getting the driveline though. Live and learn.

3. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

is there a posibility its still laying there ? they just pull out and if he drug it on a roll back or trailer it might have pulled out the vibration dampner its your choice on keeping it or not . some have them some dont . the shock on it i think mounts at a angle right? its to try to stop sideways movement .

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

IMHO ... it would be a simple matter to have a machine shop use a end mill and drill the hangers over-size , then sleeve them back to stock. Then remove every other leaf in the spring pack.

5. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Agreed. But the prices I'm being quoted are crazy.

6. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Too bad they didn't have a 8.8 from a f150, there about 65" wheel to wheel and 5 1/2 bolt pattern. Just about any 8.8 should have that flange style, so finding a driveshaft for the flange should be easy. I do remember seeing a mid 80's f-150 4wd truck that had a regular style u joint pinion flange on the 8.8.

For spring mounts, Ford still sells the leaf spring brackets for the rear springs, I've replaced quite a few for rust and the price isn't too bad. It looks like you could mount the front of the springs inboard if the frame was boxed in that area. Bolt the mounts up to the springs to get your total width for the front. If too close to mount inboard than fab up a mount for the bottom of the frame.

For the front deal, I would build something from scratch or use a universal type spring hanger from Speedway motors than make a mount for the bumper....

7. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

I've searched but can't find any universal ones that will work.

8. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Went with these. Got from a local place. Ruff Stuff Specialties
    Still figuring out how I'm going about fixing the front. I've got a couple ideas.

[​IMG]