Register now to get rid of these ads!

need pics of Connecticut Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 23 bucket-t, Dec 4, 2005.

1. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Does anyone have any pictures of Connecticut Dragway I looked for mine but the are gone. If you have any I will appreciate it if you can post them. Thank You

2. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

great pictures,I would love to see more to,my dad raced his 35 ford sedan there for years.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a Connecticut Dragway Reunion the CSRA puts on every year, plus their winter movie nite. These two photo were taken in 1961 by a friend that gave me her photo collection from Connecticut Dragway. For the first time I just noticed that they are the same car on different days. Note the the class change, anyone know is the car is still around? I'll post others later today.:D

Attached Files:

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Hi heres a picture from CT dragway of my roadster taken in 1963 owned at the time by Al Volpe. And I have included a picture of the car today. I remember 1984 I was there racing a Hot Rod I was the guy who was able to get the Nostalgia drags going at CT dragway with the help of our car club the Conneticut Street Rod Association

Attached Files:

5. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Heres my roadster as it looks in 2005

Attached Files:

6. Oh boy, the HAMB is never going to be the same now!

You better do an intro here before the drama queens decend on you:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Welcome to the HAMB

Dennis

7. flatoz

flatoz

Hell Dennis,

the value of this place just dropped!:D

welcome Ron, I think you will fit right in here!

this bloke is a true hotrodding hero.

8. Careful Corey, we don't want his head any bigger;)

So Ron, just to start off why not post a hundred FH manifold pics on that rare manifold thread. Or tell everyone where that Brazilian V8-60 is.

Dennis

9. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

that has been my favorite 32 roadster for years,glad to see u on hamb Ronnie.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Gee, All this time I just assumed you knew about the HAMB Ron! :D Has Ryan limited the intros to 1,000 words or less? Failure to post an intro within the next 24 hours could force the loss of an set of flatheads or worse.:rolleyes:

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ron, You might want to tell the story that goes with this autograph you got for me in another thread. Also check out "The Blue Racer" thread.:D

Attached Files:

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Trend setter from 1961.

Attached Files:

13. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Hi Denis IM not one to spend much time doing this stuff but I do have a few more pictures of an old Yellow roadster at Connecticut Dragway.
    The three quarter front shot is when I won class in 1981.
    The roadster is powered by a flathead Ford V-8 its 239 cubes I left the line with the gas pedal on the floor boards Power shifting the four speed in a Teeshirt. We never thought all this fun at the track would ever end.
    Latter I ran a supercharged Flathead that record setting motor broke lots of parts in the drive train we were having fun learning how to make this old stuff run forever. The blower motor was built by Paul Kosma he ran it at the Bonniville salt flats set the XX/STR roadster record in 1975 at over 135MPH. That little 258 cube flathead makes over 300 horse on pump gas its just sitting in the garage waiting to run again some day.

Attached Files:

bowie likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Coupes at Connecticut Dragway 1961

Attached Files:

bowie likes this.
  15. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Heres one more picture at CT dargway its 1983 this is the original 1965 Chrisman Comet its making its first trip down the 1/4 after being restored by Jim Barillaro. It powered by a fuel buring Blown and Injected Ford Cammer direct drive no tranny I was the guy who had the pleasure of hanging the starter on the blower and bringing that monster to life. The tears in our eyes was from joy not the fuel!

Attached Files:

16. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

great pictures of the car when it was yellow,my father remembers it yellow.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I really like the looks of this car, it was in hot rod in the day.

Attached Files:

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last one, The End

Attached Files:

19. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Growing up in the area, I used to go to the track pretty often until it closed.
    Thanks for the pics you guys.
    Keith

20. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

great pictures guys.first track i ever went to(1960's). anyone out there have old photos of willys that raced there?first willys i ever saw was at Conn. an orange 37 coupe owned by angelo greco out of hartford and wethersfield.also
    saw "the little giant" (what a name!)crosley,jerry cullinen's 39 chevy"the time bomb",john goll's 38 willys sedan jim barrillaro's "jim's speed emporium cars,wild bill flynn's "yankee peddler"barracuda AF/X, tasca ford,etc.thanks for any help...........dennis h. pateras

21. I know about the runion every year (which does'nt even take place at CT Dragway:() but do they still do any nostalgia drag events? I think I'll just about piss myself with excitement if they do.......
    -Dean

22. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great photos guys!

I lived all my formative years within earshot of Connecticut Dragway. I was there in '84 on the Junior Fire Department crew (only reason I joined- free passes to the drags!!!).

My Dad raced there in the early '60s with the Eliminators out of New London. He also helped run a AA/fuel altered hemi-powered T with Steve Harwood.

I wish I had some photos from then to post up and share.

23. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

this has to be one of my favorite 32 roadsters,great car.

24. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

Don't forget..... Next Saturday, January 21st is the 2nd annual Hot Rod and Drag Racing Nostalgia Fest held at the Elks club in Hudson Mass. (Yes, the site of the old Ty-Rods show)

TONS of vintage photos, footage and memorabillia on New England hot rodding and drag racing. Starts at 3:00pm.
    For more info call Fred Hire (Pushrods) at 978-562-5589
    or email him at [email protected]

It's gonna be wild!

Attached Files:

25. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Thanks for the info, made other plans, going to the Swap~n~Sell at the BIG-E in West Springfield. ............. I also would like to thank everyone who posted pictures and info on the old dragway......... thank you.

26. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

I think these might be a little bit before the dragway's time...maybe not though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cris

27. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Not a pic. of Dragway but of the guy who built it, Frank Maratta.
    I took this photo of Frank when the strip was in it's early planning stages,
    fooling around with the model of the strip.

[​IMG]

28. ResedaCoupe

ResedaCoupe
    from Benson, VT

Thats a cool pic. The timing shack kept that control tower shape, and enclosed. Its the only peice of the real dragway still there. Consumers Union (consumer reports) bought the property after Frank and Fitz died. They got tired of renting Lime Rock.
    If you go past the timing tower now, back at ground level, it says "Entering Historical District".
    I wish it was still open.

Thanks for that Pic.

29. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

30. Paul2748

Paul2748

You cannot get in to take a look. The only thing left besides the track is the timing tower. Everything else has changed. I was there last spring (seeing a friend who lives right next to the old track. He is (or was) sort of a caretaker and we made a brief tour of the old grounds. I worked there in the 60's and 70's. Even the entrance has been changed.

(tech and other jobs)