Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Pics/Advice-making model A Doors/Trunk work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NOAH324, Oct 21, 2003.

1. NOAH324

NOAH324

Got some Door Hinges from Snyder's and have a pretty good handle on installing 'em. Cut out little notches in the door and screw 'em to the inner door and body right?!!
    But does anyone have pics of their 28-29 A (are the 30-31's the same??) Rumble Seat hinged as a Trunk??
    Can I fab something up myself or am I better off buying a hinge set from Brookville, Snyder's, etc..
    What's been your experience?
    Right now I have a deck lid with no hinges at all.
    THANKS!

2. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Got some Door Hinges from Snyder's and have a pretty good handle on installing 'em. Cut out little notches in the door and screw 'em to the inner door and body right?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Notches? are you working on a glass body? An original already has all the required notches

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I fab something up myself or am I better off buying a hinge set from Brookville, Snyder's, etc..
    What's been your experience?
    Right now I have a deck lid with no hinges at all.
    THANKS!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Depends on your fabrication skills. Although hinges look simple, they are fairly tedious to make so that they fit and work well. SO it depends on YOUR skill level. (On a different scale, hinge making is usually taught to first year jewelry students in college classes, so it's not a "Black Art".) You might try adapting some newer hatchback hinges if you're inclined to want junk yard parts rather than "store bought" (junk yards are just like "real stores" around here anymore.) [​IMG]

3. NOAH324

NOAH324

The body I'm working with has been pieced together from various donors and I think what I'm working with for doors are from a SEDAN. They've had the tops removed and smoothed but I'm trimming them to proper roadster width and will have to cut my own notches. Good call! Pics of the notches and the hinges attached to the inner panel would help me get it right though!
    As for the hinges, they can be had for $40-$45 which seems pretty reasonable compared to fabbing. There's plenty of that to do elsewhere!!
    I'd still love to see a pic of a working A deck lid/trunk.
    Do you need rubber bumpers, alignment plates, bumper brackets, pivot bolts, strikers ??????
    In the dark here - thanks again.
    =NOAH=

4. Elrod

Elrod

A model A trunk lid has pins on the top side corners that are parallel to the ground. They go into the body. Your trunk lid hinges on that.

Attached Files:

5. NOAH324

NOAH324

No shit! Pins and holes. Keep it simple eh. I like it.
    I'll weld some pins on there and I'll be in business.
    So I guess Model A's came with EITHER Trunk OR Rumble lids ?? I guess I assumed they were all rumblers. Doh!

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dent want no steenkin rumble so I switched mine back to a trunk, no problem. 31 coupe.I turned down bolts to make my own shoulder bolts The little plates are easy to make or Snyders sells all the pieces. Elrods description is excellent.

7. Toqwik

Toqwik

My 28 rumble lid was not drilled for a trunk mount. Originally, they have like a nut welded to the body, with sholder bolts that screw into them from inside the body. I have a really cool set of hinges I think I am gonna mount on the outside of the body, hinging it on the top of the lid. If you have to drill your lid for the pins to mount, make sure you measure, measure, and then check your measurements. Good luck.....Scott

8. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. Don't weld pins on there. You won't be able to get the lid on.

Weld a nut onto the underside of the lip on the back undersides of the trunk opening. Then screw a shoulder bolt in from underneath that goes into the lid.

Or, put the lid in place and line up the two holes. Now screw your bolt through the lid into the car and into the nut you screwed into the car.

Damn that's hard to explain in text.

9. NOAH324

NOAH324

COOL!
    Think I got it now. Thanks for the help.
    (But if anyone's got pics, shoot em my way!)
    =NOAH=

10. Canuck

Canuck

Don't know if you are looking for a stock look or not!

This is the approach that I am taking. Using hood hindges off a for Tempo mounted to the trunk inner skin using a mounting plate welded to the trunk with 2 nuts welded to it. The inner pivot will be in line with the inside of the body just below where the rear of the roof comes down. Inner pivot will be mounted to a square tube inner IXI brace mounted to the lower sub rails and to where the outter body and centre body bolt together at each side of the rear window.

Just a idea.