Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need photo shop help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hank37, Aug 16, 2020.

1. I like to see what my 37 would look like with wide white wall tires and red wheels . I had them back in 1960 and thinking that I liked that look . 1H_2M9D6351.jpg

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hank1.jpg

:rolleyes:...No Disrespect to Hamber @Al Consoli....Only Compliments to Al having had the privilege to see this Old Hotrod in the Steel.

Hank, I strayed a bit but gave it a vintage vibe wearable in 1960, I'm assuming as it was Stogy's Pop into this world year...and Hank was already Hotrodding...to cool...

:rolleyes:...I'll call the Inspiration above 'Ready to Rock N' Roll'

Hank2.jpg

:rolleyes:...This one...'Still Ready to Rock N' Roll'...

One very Cool Coupe Hank and I hope one day a pic from 48 surfaces...I'd like to know its history...do you mind telling us about it again?...;)

I hope these bring a warm smile...to All of you...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  3. Thanks Stogy for the photo shop and your correct lots of my friends were painting their wheels two colors . Cars history goes back to 1948 when a local stock car driver named Charlie " Machine Gun " Kelly took his 37 Ford to Detwiler's Body Shop in Birdsboro , Pa. to see if he could get the top chopped and Packard grille mounted up front like pic in Hot Rod magazine . Detwiler said he would try it . When top was cut down he asked Charlie to sit in it to see how he could out rear windows . Charlie said he couldn't see out so they left the rear window in stock position . after it was finished he had it painted Lincoln maroon . Rear end was lowered with skirts and hood sides filled in to make a smooth look. Motor was a full house flathead . Dash had glove box leaded in an S&W gauges and speedometer were installed. Interior was rolled and pleated maroon and white . Charlie entered car shows and 53 and 54 Autorama's in Phila. area . He also let the Sanatoga Speedway in Sanatoga Pa. to use the Hot Rod as a pace car at times. I asked Charlie who was living in Fla. if he came North to look me up to have a ride in his old Rod . He didn't get the ride as he died a short time later. I also looked up Detwiler as he was trying to find where the 37 got to . When he seen it body was off frame and all apart, he said I want your car and I have a restored 37 cp. painted Lincoln maroon and I'll trade you even up. I said no and told him my story . I saw the 37 when I was around 12 or 13 at a gas station near Reading Pa. it was a tail dragger with skirts and I had to have a Rod like that, but my Dad said you'll never afford to have a car like that . Next time I seen 37 I was 16 and at a local scrap yard and out front was the 37 for sale this was 1956 . Car was now black primer rear was higher and interior was greasy and pleated seat was missing . But it now had a 49 Olds motor ! I asked the price , they wanted $ 700. which was to much for me . In 1959 I was working at a Tung Sol headlamp plant in Boyertown Pa. and at lunch one of the guys asked if I was still looking for a 37 Ford , I said were is it at , He said 2 blocks up the street , the owner is going in the Navy and has to sell it. I was up there that night and couldn't believe my eyes there was the chopped 37 with the Packard grille , It was a basket case , I said what's your price , he said $ 75.00 and $ 25.00 for Olds. motor . So I bought it and got it home , worked on it outside until finally got it on the road in 1960 . Detwiler had pics of 37 when he was chopping it and after he painted it but wouldn't sell them to me because I refused to sell car to him . He died in Colorado and his son didn't know what he did with all his photos .

OLSKOOL57, 34 GAZ, NashRodMan and 5 others like this.

4. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

You know I will like the wide whites, Hank. :)

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're welcome Hank and again Full Credit to Al for his Photographic Art used as the Catalyst for the Inspiration.

That's an awesome journey you've had with this Custom turned Hotrod...It's a bit of Hybrid now...

I am very moved by the fact your thinking of dialing back the look to 1960 or so...It looks wonderful...I did another with Hoodsides...however I'm not sure if you would entertain that...

Again it's hard to choose they all look fantastic...but ultimately it is your decision...;)

OLSKOOL57, Hank37 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Like to see it with hood sides , I still have them they are in primer .

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  7. Love the history, Hank.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hank4.jpg

Hank3 (2).jpg

Credit to Photographer @Al Consoli, Owner

9. Beautiful hot rod Hank, what a history. At times I wish I kept my 37 but just did not have the room.

10. Come on Hank! Lets go back to 1960. What an awesome story and one fine automobile!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I've seen this car in person on occasions and it's just as cool as the pictures.

OLSKOOL57 and Hank37 like this.
  12. IMG_2221.JPG This is the oldest photo I have found of the 37 it was taken winter of 1961 , my son on sled . Red wheels with spun aluminum covers rear end jacked up had the 49 Olds. with 37 floorshift and 4.55 37 rear .

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Hank37 perhaps someday pictures will surface that somebody captured other than Detwiler but the fact you have it in the flesh means a lot...I can't imagine the bond to that Car you have...this is not totally uncommon...

Is he still around, maybe the mood has changed...might be worth an olive branch call not that you owe anybody apologies...

14. Detwiler died about two years ago , his family knows I'm looking for pics .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry you did say that...my apologies...
    I hope they come across them and share them with you...

Being he was the customizer back in the day it was obvious that he was in admiration of it and no doubt many others he had a hand in creating...PA has a rich history in Hotrod...

lothiandon1940 and Hank37 like this.