Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need Opions on to Weld or Not 1950 Plymouth Rear Fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swaluda, Sep 19, 2015.

1. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Hey Guys, I'm getting ready for assembly mode on my frame off resto 1950 Plymouth sd coupe. The rear fenders had a rubber or plastic gasket between them and the body where it mounts to. I'd like to rebolt them to the body and then follow up with a weld bead before final finish. Anyone ever do this, and do you think it would be OK, Thanks for any advise, Stan

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it really is a restoration, bolt the fenders on with the stock welting.

If you want to weld them on go ahead. It is your car. This was a common mod on customs to smooth out the lines and was also done when the fenders were rotting off because it was easier than fixing them properly.

3. swaluda

swaluda
    from pa.

Thanks Rusty, I was just thinking that painted fender welt would be prone to crack and peeling and in time, make a good paint job look like crap in those areas

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You don't paint the fender welt. Paint the inner fender and inside fender so you know they have paint on them, including where they bolt together.

Install the fender on the car but leave the bolts loose.

Paint the car

Fit the fender welt (unpainted) into the seam and tighten the bolts.

They made a fender welt with a chrome bead on it, I think you can still get them. Or the plain welt is good too.

5. Fender welt comes in a variety of colors but black seems to work with most any color. HRP

6. we want pics of this car...

7. metalman

metalman

I always advise against welding the fenders on. (1) It can be a lot of work, especially if the quarter starts warping.(2) It usually takes an excessive amount of filler to smooth it out which leads to cracking, look at other cars with welded fenders, you'll see. (3) If you ever damage the fender you'll be glad you can take it off to repair or in bad cases replace. FWIW I generally use black welting, chrome on certain cars but unless the customer insists I don't use color. Never looks right to me.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Have fun in changing a flat tire.....especially if its nightime in a rainstorm

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We made our own fender welt to match the body colour. Worked very nice.

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A lot of work IMHO however it will smooth the transition of fender to body. If done right it does look good having done it on a previous 40s GM. I'm using the fender welt this time around on my 46 Olds just in case I may need to remove the fender in future? I'm not planning on it but accidents do happen because and Murphy's Law says so ;) Secondly this is the look I'm after this time around.

11. jcs64

jcs64

I cant think of any reasons to not weld them on.
    [​IMG]

jeff

whtbaron likes this.