Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need info to replace 37 Ford dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PAUCHO, Jan 16, 2009.

1. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

My buddy bought my old 37 coupe, and the dash has been butchered over the years with holes and mismatched guages etc.....We can try to find a better 37 dash, but were wondering if a 40 dash or any other interesting dash would be a close fit.....I figure that almost anything would have to be modified to fit, but we're trying to keep it to a minimum.....Thanks....

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You could most likely use anything from '37-41 with some modifications. 40's are very pricey.

3. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks.....I gotta get out on a garage crawl with a tape measure and see what I can find.....everybody around here has their cars in hibernation for the winter....

4. 39 Ford

39 Ford

The 37-40 uses the same basic body style in 41 they changed. I would suggest you stick to 37-40 for the easiest fit.

5. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Yeah thanks.....we're leaning toward a 40.....I drive a 41 and you're right, it won't work.....The 40 dash is gonna be expensive, but they're so good lookin'.....I just have to figure if the windshield crank handle can be made to work on the 40.....it's in the middle on top of the dash on the 37....

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 37-40 cars and 37-41 Pickups and Trucks should give you a good range and availability of dashes to capture. Heck, even the ugly old 42-47 Pickups and Trcuks could help you out.

7. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

a buddy back in the 50,s had a 37 2dr nosed decked and 40 dash with 40 column shift. It was neat, 48 engine and no compression, never had to push a car so many times!

8. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Hey Thanks.....I never considered the pickups, I'll check them out too.......

9. Got pics of the dash?

Shouldn't be too hard to repair.

I'm a real amateur when it comes to bodywork, but I filled a bunch of holes including the radio cutout, cut some holes for a couple gauges and moved the new radio over a bit wth a new cutout.

63 Chevy pickup fwiw.

Gas welded, came out nice.

You can hole saw and belt sand or file body gauge discs to shape to fill in the old gauge holes.

Little holes are easy.

10. The pickup and truck dashes are welded in rather than bolted in like your '37, and would take more work to install. Any '37 or '38 closed car, Standard or Deluxe, is a bolt in swap. You can use a '39 Standard or Deluxe closed car dash, but you will have to find a '39 windshield regulator to go with it. '39 regulator has a round knob up on top of the dash instead of the handle above the radio speaker grille like '37 and '38. IF you use a '40 dash, you will have to give up the roll-out windshield.

11. jmh

jmh

Sent a PM..John

12. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Yeah thanks, I know what you mean, but this thing is really a mess, and we'd rather start fresh....

13. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Thanks....That's all good info....

14. 64krusty

64krusty

Paucho,is the car gonna be a custom?
    Or does he want it to look sort of stock?

15. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Hey Dana.....Like they say at Barrett Jackson, it's a "Freestyle Hotrod"....The body is stock but shaved, it's got bigs and littles.....it sits PERFECT.....it's gonna be black with black steel wheels, black walls, and dog-dish caps....It's all done now except for paint and interior....the only pix I have are from when I owned it.....It was built in the 60's, and untouched from that time till I sold it to my pal....Now the car sits low with the wheels and tires tucked up into the fenders, and all new running gear....It now has the proper headlights too.....Here's some "BEFORE" pix from when I owned it.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]