Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NEED INFO ON CAR called STANDARD 8 ANGLIA STYLE CAR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelguy, Jan 31, 2016.

1. wheelguy

wheelguy

Anyone know anything about a car manufactured (ENGLAND ???) before and after WW11 called a "Standard 8"...... They closely resemble an Anglia but have a different grill and trunk lid is different (looks a little like a Vicky rear)... They are about the same size as an Anglia and came with factory suicide doors.... If you have any info or pictures PLEASE post them.
    THANKS

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. Its the four door version of the Anglia, I think.
    Could be wrong, as we had a Morris 8 down here.
    So I'm no help, but I was always into American cars more, so never took much notice, but did once have a 42 bullnose Anglia.
    1935 Morris 8.
    IMG_20160201_193719.JPG

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Standard was English. The Standard Motor Company, based in Coventry.

5. khead47

khead47

Check my avatar. 1939 Morris 8.

6. Why are you guys posting pictures of Morris cars? The OP asked about Standard!

DDDenny already posted a Wiki link. Look up Standard cars on Google images and there are hundreds of pictures.

BTW the 8 in old English car names refers to the horsepower rating for tax purposes, not engine cylinders, if anyone is wondering.

7. rooman

rooman

Pre WW II they were Standards and later the company became Standard Triumph and eventually just Triumph. The same people who brought you the TR 2/3/4 etc sports cars.
    For those too lazy to follow the link this is what they look like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Its the four door version of the Anglia, I think.
    Could be wrong, as we had a Morris 8 down here."---Definitely completely wrong as pointed out by X38. The Anglia was built by Ford and the four door version was the Prefect --pre war they were called Populars and that name continued to be used until 1959.

On the subject of British "horsepower" ratings (again as mentioned by X38) the authorities devised a formula based on cylinder bore size to come up with the numbers used to determine how much tax the owner paid to get his plates. As a consequence most British cars of that era have small bore, long stroke engines. Japanese "home market" cars are narrow for the same reason and Italian cars (apart from high dollar exotics) have small engines because the tax is based on engine size (and gas is real expensive too).

Roo

Hnstray, X38 and captain scarlet like this.
  8. khead47

khead47

Well excuse me all to Hell! I believed the description of the car fit the Morris I had a few years back. The word "standard" was often used to denote the base model across the board from car companies.

9. wheelguy

wheelguy

YEP ! The style I'm talking about is exactly like the picture posted by DDDenny just below my original post.
    Are these really rare?
    I know they came with the suicide style doors and factory solid hood sides (I guess due to small 8 HP)
    Where ( IN THE UNITED STATES) would you find any parts (BODY & TRIM) for these????
    THANKS FOR THE INFO/INPUT SO FAR AND THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY FUTURE INFO YOU CAN GIVE ABOUT THE CARS AND WHERE NEEDED PARTS MIGHT BE SOURCED.

10. wheelguy

wheelguy

11. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I own a 1946 Standard Model 8. Nice little car. Bought it years ago to restore and it ended up in my "someday" projects list. Standards were never imported to the US, most of them here were probably brought back after WWII by GIs. Parts are going to be pretty much impossible to find in the US. Mine had been repowered with a Crosley motor, guy I bought it from was a Crosley nut, he bought it for the motor and didn't want the rest. I almost listed it for sale on here last fall but talked myself into keeping it. Current plan would be kind of a restomod thing.

knotheads likes this.
  12. wheelguy

wheelguy

STILL LOOKING FOR A PARTS SOURCE IN THE U.S.
    ESPECIALLY NEED A GRILLE !!!!
    COULD also use the sliding roof insert panel and mechanism for it.

13. wheelguy

wheelguy