Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help with this old pic, what body is this??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AstroZombie, Mar 4, 2009.

1. You guys are probably right about the wheels...and with the car being that dressed up I wouldn't dought it :D

2. flyin-t

flyin-t

I'd like it just as much with straight spokes.

3. I'd like it more...I am not a fan of bent spoke Kelseys :D:D:D

4. Amazing! I want to know more. Cowl is def 26/7

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It'll be a long time before we see a better example of a T built right ... thanks for posting !!!

6. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Anyway you could post a higher resolution picture? the original seems very clear and sharp, it should scan nice.

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I have it as my desktop now...can't stop looking at it.

I don't care when it was built...SOMEBODY must know the story of this Mod! It's perfect.
    The thought and planning is incredible. Look at the sweep of the pipes and how the primaries meld with the main tubes...cowl steering...major Radiator cut to match the cowl...the cowl itself...wrapped over and snapped interior panels...

Hmmmm....Is it a 2 passenger or a single I wonder? The pipes go between the tires and body.

Every now and then...late on a still summer night...I think I hear that Modified, way off in the distance. Flat out, wound up and fading away......
    Yeah...
    I KNOW thats the one.

We need more info and pics. One picture is just NOT enough. :(

8. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Definitely one slick little modified, regardless of it's pedigree! :cool:

9. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Same here, on my desktop and want to see more of it and learn more about it.. this car is what I think most of us here strive to build.

10. metalman

metalman

Great car! I take it your buddy wasn't lucky enough to have Gradpa leave it in the barn for him. Any idea what ever happen to it?

11. mattblack52

mattblack52
    from Ohio

Yeah I saved this picture immediately. My jaw dropped when i saw it.

Damn you because I'm trying to do a little research but I keep wanting to open that picture back up and look at it.

I think this car is stunningly beautiful!

12. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

Man I wish I could see every angle of that thing. Just think of the cool details we can't see! Do you think thats a weiand 2x2?

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Well...don't look like Astrozombie is gonna add anything else to this thread...but I hate to see this Modified fade away without at least trying to do a HAMB version of CSI on it.

What can be told with 100% certainty from the picture itself and what can be assumed thru educated guesses from looking at how its put together?

This SHOULD have been a survivor or at least have some traceable history from when it existed....
    Was it a Bonneville car?
    Who could we ask????

Lets try to get to the bottom of this cool mystery!!! :D
    The car AND the builder deserve it!!!

14. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Sorry to leave you guys hanging on this car!!! Truth is, I haven't heard any more about the car either. I PM'd the guy the link to this thread so hopefully he will join here and post more about it. Here is the original thread which he was asking about the car..... Go easy on the guys, it's from a 350Z forum.... some of the "answers" he got were somewhat funny :rolleyes::D

Oh, BTW His Grandpa is still alive!

http://my350z.com/forum/media-share/420399-cool-pic-of-my-grandpa-and-his-hotrod-in-1942-a.html

15. Entaille

Entaille
    from WA state

Hey guys - finally got around to responding here. The picture here is of my grandpa. my father sent me an email with the picture after he had received a copy of it in person (and scanned it), there was another picture as well, but it was virtually of the same stance and position, so he sent me the better of the two.

unfortunately I am not really in contact with him. not a big family guy, he lives a couple of states away and I have only met him once, and very briefly. I asked for as much detail as my dad could provide me and I really didn't get much out of him - hence why I was asking folks on the Z forums what they could tell me about the car.

can you imagine how cool it would be if that car was still around? I have my doubts though.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that 350Z forum is pretty funny, "hey look, 4 spark plugs and only 3 exhaust pipes"

17. Entaille

Entaille
    from WA state

to be fair, most of the Z owners are younger and not into older, custom hot rods. I am only 24 myself, and without having any sort of experience with this sort of a build, I wouldn't know what to look for either. It's not every day you see pipes sticking up out of the center of the engine.

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hi Entaille!
    Thanks for joining and adding to the thread!!!

That Modified is simply incredible.
    It's a great example of a high end build for the era. We'd love to get some additional info on the car and maybe that other picture, even though its similar, might give some additional insight.
    It would really be great if you could post it.

Just a few questions that might narrow down an info search...

Did your Grandfather actually build the car?
    Which State did the Modified call home?
    Do you know if he raced it and where?

What small talk have you heard about the actual car or your Grandfathers automotive/Hot Rod history?

Would you be comfortable in releasing your Grandfathers name?
    If not...no problem. Some are comfortable with stuff like that, some not.
    It would make a search for info a bit easier for someone with early dry lakes records and run lists though...

Your Grandfather was a sharp guy back in his day! :D

19. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Awesome that you joined up!! I hope we can figure out some things about your Grandpas car, I know I fell in love with it the first time I saw the pic! :D

20. Entaille

Entaille
    from WA state

I'll give you a little bit of info that I have, but I don't think it will help much.

My grandpa lives in San Diego, our last name is Proulx.

He built the car, not sure if that was where it was built, but I imagine around the Cali area. I am not close enough to him to know where he has been around in life though, so I could be entirely wrong.

Not sure where he raced it, or if he even raced it on a legitamate track.

Sorry I can't offer more info. My family is an odd one :)

21. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Virgil L. Proulx, perhaps???

For you serious HAMB CSI types, this guy may be able to give you more info or put you on the right track (no pun intended):

Robert Proulx
    1649 El Prado, Ste 3
    San Diego, CA 92101-1664
    (619) 232-6203
    San Diego Historical Society Board of Directors

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

You should really try to establish some kind of contact with your grandfather. That is your legacy and obviously you have it in your blood. The cut down Modified is the forerunner of your import.

You've got something to talk to him about. :)

There weren't many legitamite tracks in existence at that time, it was probably raced on southern California's lake beds. It was very well built for its day, even well built for today. It has a lot of style and those headers are artwork. Hope you get to find out more about the car and your family. I hear San Diego is nice this time of year. :D

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I would agree on the contact...but then I would knock on his door as a stranger over this car! LoL
    Damn good ice breaker for ya though....:D
    Families sometimes just drift apart. It happens more than you'd think...

There are people here in the know with the early dry lakes period.
    Hopefully one will take this as a challenge to find any available info on this almost forgotten car and its builder.
    This Modified is right up there with the best in looks and performance potential. The other message board thread says it hit 130 mph with the 1937 Flatty...

24. Entaille

Entaille
    from WA state

I don't know, it would be incredibly awkward. I am 24 years old, and I can't recall a single point of contact from him. the one time I had any contact was when my father was invited for a family get together in california when I was like 16, I was just invited along for the ride. it was awkward as hell then and would be even more awkward now.

call me bitter and maybe I'll regret not putting any effort towards getting to know him, but I haven't yet felt that yearning to know more about my heritage, and I think he's had ample opportunities to get in contact with me.

sorry guys, I know you are fiending for more info on this. maybe I'll start out simple and see if the old man has an email address. I'll let you know if I get any better details.

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

No no...fully understood!
    Sometimes things just work out the way thay do and thats it.
    I...(WE I'm sure!)...don't want to put you in an awkward position. We're just caught up in the car, thats all.

Sure, we'd love to fill in the blanks...but not at your discomfort.
    We're glad to even have the picture!!!
    Thanks...:)

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thank you DIRK for finding those excellent pics of the car at two different stages in its career!
    Was Mr Proulx well known during the time? Anyone still know him or have any additional info on him or the Mod???

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  27. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I'll try asking again...Virgil L. Proulx, perhaps???

28. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Those young Z guys sure seem to be "Into" this older car ! There's hope for them yet!

29. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Im no expert by any means, but if I had to guess I would say its a 23 T and the top of the cowl where the windshield sits has been modified.
    I would definately say that it was not a tub . Straight up 23 truck cab.

30. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I know what it is (at least I think I know), but I'm not telling. I'm holding the answer hostage until I get an answer as to whether this is Virgil Proulx of whom we speak. Only one of you is on the right track (again, no pun intended).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009