Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with clutch issue.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Oct 7, 2017.

1. evintho

evintho

2.3L turbo 4 cyl w/T5 from an '88 Turbo Coupe in my '27 roadster. It's a factory hydraulic clutch w/good working slave cyl. When pushing down pedal it takes extreme leg pressure and I can see the clutch fork move about 1/2 way. With trans out the TOB slid smoothly on the pilot shaft. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the master cyl.
    M/C from a '63 Chevy pickup. The right side is marked 'clutch' and left marked 'brake'. When I first got it I swapped the piston, spring and residual valve from the 'clutch' side to the 'brake' side and vice-versa. I thought it kinda odd the M/C was marked that way as the clutch pedal is always on the left. IIRC, I think there was a residual valve in both bores.

Anyhow, I bench bled the M/C, installed it and I have no clutch. I pulled the hydraulilc line off the M/C, pumped the pedal and very little fluid comes squirting out of the M/C. Would it have something to do with the residual valve in the clutch bore? Something else?
    Also, I expected some sort of divider inside the M/C to separate the clutch side from the brake side but it's pretty much all one bowl. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm kinda lost here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. If you're running the Ford slave cylinder, you need to change it to the one from the Chevy truck. I had the same problem with a car I bought years ago. It had a Datsun truck motor with the Datsun slave cylinder. The clutch was like an on/off switch. I changed the slave cylinder to the one from the Chevy truck and the clutch worked great.

3. evintho

evintho

It barely spurts out any fluid from the M/C port. I think the slave isn't getting enough fluid to operate it.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I think the location of the clutch and brake sides of the MC has to do with how the pedal linkage in the original truck is set up.

I wonder if the ports connecting the reservoir to the cylinders, is different on the two sides?

5. Bad clutch master? It should put out a good squirt. Did you bleed it?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Most of those masters had at least a 1-1/8 bore, some had 1-1/4 on one side..More than enough volume so I would lean more towards a falty MC..

7. evintho

evintho

M/C is brand new and yes I bench bled it. IIRC when I swapped pistons, springs and RVs both bores were the same size.