Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Help. Most common trouble areas on a 1939 Ford 2 door Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thedreamer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. thedreamer

thedreamer

I'm going to hopefully be looking at a 1939 Ford 2 Door Deluxe sedan tomorrow. I would like to know where are the most common areas to look for rust or other typical damage on these cars? Story goes that it has been parked inside a garage since 1965. It still retains the original flathead but I don't know if it is stuck or not and I don't think they tried to turn it over. They say it ran fine when parked so there shouldn't have been any catastrophic failure to sideline it for so long. It belonged to the grandpa of the guy who owns it now and he passed away and they are cleaning out his storage and bringing it back to Iowa from Nebraska tomorrow.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

37-40 rust areas...
    front quarters, driver's side floor, tailpan and tool tray behind it, rear quarters, bottom outside and inside edge of decklid, frame where X-member runs up against the inside of the rail at the back on both sides (worse in pickups, but cars suffer too). OH and the ever so hard to repair rain gutters.

3. fleet-master

fleet-master

sides of the roof /rain gutters, cowl vent channels and lid and all other areas mentioned above.

4. birdman1

birdman1

My 1939 Deluxe coupe had to have new floors, trunk floor, quarter panels, lower doors, and I don't know if it has been mentioned, the rear roll pan is usually rusted. They make new panels for the roll pan too. I made all my panels, no show car but a good bodyman(which I an NOT) can cover up his mistakes!! Have fun, that's what this is about, at least I keep telling myself that.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. thedreamer

thedreamer

I should have updated but have been busy. I got a look at the car and it needs some work but not terrible. It only seems to be rusted out in the tailpan. The floors looked solid as did the running boards, gutters, trunk lid, doors and fenders. The fenders were pretty beat up and the rear leaf spring was broken. The original flattie was still free as well. The problem I am having is getting a price from them. I think they were ready to sell when the car was still in Nebraska but now that it is in Iowa they are haveing a hard time letting go of it. I will keep trying. I will also try to post some pics later.

6. Post up some pics. If you click the link in my sig, you can go to my build thread and see what I started with.

7. thedreamer

thedreamer

I just tried to upload from my phone and it won't let me so I will have to try later.