Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help looking for an rear axle for 36 ford 5W

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Still rounding up parts for my 36 5w. As I bought it there was no drivetrain so I am starting with a blank canvas. I have a built 283 and a 2004r Trans in my stash that I plan to use. I also have a drop axle with discs for the front.
    I've been looking for a suitable axle. Would like to find 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern and not too wide. Old 9 inch ford rears are long gone around these parts.
    What is the best width for 36 fendered car?
    I have been looking into 8.8 fords. I'm thinking an explorer axle is too wide but has all the right components, posi with 31 spline axles. 3.73, 3.50 ratio
    If I was to cut an Explorer axle down and use the two short axles would I still be too wide?
    I don't want to get into oddball offset rims.
    Should l look instead at a ranger rear or fox body mustang?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

2. F&J

F&J

Is that an Altered? :)

Pick your wheels first, there is no other way to get the correct width rear, and fit the rear wells correctly. Even a typical old TT or other mag in 6" width will have more backspace than a chromed steelie that is not a reversed one.

3. There are still a lot of mustang,granada and maverick rear axles out there. HRP

4. I'm in the rust belt of North America. 12 year old explorers are being junked because of rust. Granadas are long gone to the crusher and I haven't seen a maverick in ages.

I plan to run 235 70 or 75 15s on the rear. I plan to buy new rims with the correct back spacing once I have the rear end picked out and fitting.

5. F&J

F&J

Yes you can, but there again, study up on what really is available for special offsets first. Sometimes you will end up having to spend way too much for a wheel to fit.

All I was getting at in post2 was that you need an idea of what look you want on a rear wheel. Some want deep dish look, and some don't.

6. X2
    I've seen stupid money spent to get wheels custom made to fit after the fact.

7. Put a Fairlane under the 36 I had. Fit great.