Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need help! Just bought my first class car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonathan2014, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Hello everyone! I went to ford barn for help, but they grilled me for the direction I wanted to go with my car haha but they directed me to this website.

I bought a 1929 Ford Model A Tudor and I dont know what I got myself into.
    The direction I want to go with my build is a custom. Possibly channeled and definitely chopped later down the road. Im planning on throwing in a 305 with a 700r4transmission. I’d love to throw a flathead in there but thats just a bit out of my budget. I know I’d have to box in the frame also and I would need to throw a Ford 9inch rear end in it. I also just removed all the fenders on the car.

With that said, I have an opportunity to buy a frame that is powder coated, boxed, includes a Ford 9in rear end, has 4 link in the rear end and is set up for disc brakes in the rear. He’s selling that frame for 1500. Is that a good deal? Or should I just stick to my rear end and find someone to do all that work for me?

The chassis on the car is all original model A parts so Id have to box in my frame. The car has a 4 banger engine.

I’ve never worked on cars in my life so im slowly learning. I know people say building a “ rat rod”and not having any mechanical/welding skills might be a mistake but I’m willing to learn.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on where to start with my car?

2. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Why no pictures???

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, start by posting some photos.

4. it sits nice right now , i'd leave it full fendered and shoot for that

any pictures of this $1500 frame? it may be a POS or the deal

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some people get their panties bunched up over the term "rat rod". You, are building a hot rod.

6. That is nice
    Please don’t build and don’t call what you own a rat rod, unless your putting barb wire, cob webs and other nonsense on it!!

For 1500 bucks for the frame your way ahead of the game

And you can sell your stock stuff back to the restorer crowd.

Does the car run and drive?
    You can have a hoot with that little 4 banger !!
    Looks good just how it is

7. When I buy a project car (actually just to consider buying it) I assess how complete it is, what parts will be required, price of the parts, parts availability, time devoted to project, and my ambition.
    Once committed I break it down to the bare bones and go from there, unless of course it's already in pieces. Bag and tag parts removed.
    Do research, become knowledgeable/familiar with the car.
    Choose a direction you want to go with the car, and develop a game plan to get there.
    Try to devote at least an hour a day to the project, and eventually it will get done.
    Good luck.

gsnort likes this.
  8. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Yes...why not go in stages? Nothing to lose. Get it running as is if possible. Plus you got your little helper right there!

9. VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. The car does run and drive. Only thing is that the engine stalls at random times. I know it’s leaking through the headboard gaskets and it’ll need to be resurfaced

11. Yeah I started with getting it running and driving, but I think that engine might need a lot more work then I thought which I would then prefer to buy a newer engine so I can drive it further. My little helper loves spending time in that car haha

12. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Custom how? Do you have any pictures of what you have in mind? Once you have a direction then you'll figure out what the steps are to get the result you're looking for.

13. Dave Downs likes this.
  14. 'Mo

'Mo

If it's a driver, you can stop right there!
    Tops on my "All-Time Great Model A Sedans" list are:...

Ed Roth's "Little Jewel",

[​IMG]

and Christman's sedan. Both are full-fendered.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Max Gearhead and gsnort like this.
  15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DE6F2F06-1662-4F95-83A6-270F0C0D046B.jpeg EB83D96F-E900-4A6F-B1DC-4990D4E3A84F.jpeg Nothing wrong with full fendered cars

16. JJK

JJK

Looks like a pretty complete car, why not trying to get the flat 4cyl going?

17. It’s a 4 banger. I have it running and driving. Sometimes the engines just dies on me and won’t turn back on

18. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this were my first hot rod, I'd adopt the motto, "Keep it Simple." Main thing is to have fun and take your time. You can learn a lot about engines from that 4-banger. 40FordPU gives wise advice. By the way, good luck.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to know... "What's a first class car?"

20. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

You've gotten lots of great advice from lots of different people. First step is get that motor running right. You'll learn a lot just doing that, it will save you money, nothing to lose, everything to gain. Then down the road sky's the limit.
    My wife was daddy's little helper, and has built quite a few motors herself...nothing wrong with that!
    Looks like a great car by your pictures. I just hope I run that well when I'm 90.