Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help installing window regulators and making glass templates for 1935 Ford 5W

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

I've got what I think are a pair of of the right regulators for 35 5W but I dont know how to tell left side from right and top from bottom. Also need help in making the glass templates. Car was chopped about 3".

Thanks
    Leon 20200204_195514.jpg 20200204_195524.jpg

2. Left door in picture. Find the regulator that the crank is in the front. Install with four screws. The wind it thru to see if it works.

3. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

That's the passengers door/right side. Suicide hinges. Looks like both regulators will fit in same door. I'm trying to figure top from bottom to determine left from right.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The regulator closest to your feet goes in the passenger side door.

-Abone.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy. Turn the winder. Going down you are working against the spring. The spring assists the upward travel.

Anticipating your next question. The mechanism goes in the door but just lies in the bottom somewhere. The glass is slotted in and the mechanism brought up to meet. Only when they've become acquainted does the mechanism get secured to the door. That's the only way I could get it to work on my '36 5w, but I didn't have a chop to contend with.

Chris

Do it Over likes this.
  6. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Thanks. That's a great help.

7. And the channel fits on the glass so the slot engages the roller on the way by, follows the slot until the top, and pushes the glass forward once it is at the top. 1/4" hardboard makes for a good operable pattern.

Do it Over likes this.
  8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, as we all know, Henry wasn't a man inclined to waste money, so the window channels that run on the mechanism aren't over long, in fact they're as short as they can be. The upshot of this is that the fore / aft placement of the channel on the glass is absolutely critical to avoid the arm coming off the track at the extremes of travel, and there are 4 extremes on each window! If you mess about with this on the bench (without glass) beforehand all will become clear! Easier than trying to work it out inside the door!

But the glass also needs to fit in the door nicely (obviously) with the channel properly aligned and ultimately secured to the glass such that it cannot slide on the glass and lose that aforementioned critical positioning. In use the winder arms can tend to generally exert a for or aft pressure on the channel / glass and deliberately when the smoking vent is operated.

There's a heck of a lot going on in something that's intrinsically simple!

Suggest you use plain glass with polished edges and then toughened. Laminated glass in the door just cracks with the slamming of the door.

Chris

Chris