Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage need help I am broke down!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glendale, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Hey guys I am on my way to salt lake city and my truck broke down. I have a tow on the way to take me to elko nv. I can't find a rental car or anything in elko. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome. Feel free to call or text me 916-952-7208

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. What's broke?

What happened; sounds, smells, looks during and leading up to the breakdown?

Is the frame broken, or does the motor not want to start, is it overheating, knocking, pinging, slinging oil all over the place, blown tire?

Lots of questions that need to be answered before I give you any other advice beyond a plane ticket...

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There is an excellent house of ill repute in Elko, should you have to kill some time.
    Electronic ignition symptoms?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

4. You are right. HRP

Inez's D&D

5. We were going up a pass it's a 6.0 ford diesel at almost the top of the pass before elko nevada the motor lost power and died. No start. Elko is a tiny town and basically closed until Tuesday including the airport. ..

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

6.0 is the problem, never heard anything good about them.
    How is your fuel filter? Will it crank on starting fluid or WD40? Any electrical codes? I'm not familiar with the Ford wiring, so I can't be much help there.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sounds like the modulator (or whatever it's called) in the HEI died if no spark and no start...

R-

8. Probably not...
    it's a 6.0 ford diesel

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

If you were closer to Winnemucca I could probably get some one out to see. My 08 6.0 did that ,check the oil for diesel. The catalytic converter, that's what I call it goes bad and they lose power down to limp mode. My 03 did about the same in Lovelock and had it towed to Ford in Winnemucca. Cost about 3500 each. Good luck

10. go on powerstroke.com and run a check of the Fuel-Injection Control Module

11. New fuel filters had the ficm done about two months ago.

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I have a friend that was a dyed in the wool Ford man. He bought a truck with a 6.0 diesel and had all kinds of trouble. He always took it to the Ford dealer because you were never supposed to have to pay for the same repair twice. He had the same thing done 3 times, once under warranty and twice out of warranty. He didn't expect to pay for it the third time but they claimed it was a different problem even though the work order had the exact same description. He now drives a Toyota pickup.

1927graham likes this.
  13. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Sounds like high pressure oil problem. Don't use any starting fluid in a 6.0. It'll have to be scanned andb pid data checked to find the problem. You can stick stuff on them forever and never fix it. Also, it could be worse, you could have a 6.4. I thought the 6.0 was bad until that thing come out. Piece of crap.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Maybe some Western HAMBers will see this tonight.

15. Sorry to say this, but with my experience,that's the first thing to take a shit....... Need's like 42V(?) to fire.....
    I might be wrong on the V thing,but usually,that's what goes first........ without the magic number , zilch/natha/nothing.......Hope you get it handled, But the FICM is what would be looked at first by anyone compentent enough........Good luck.
    and even though it was recently done,doesn't mean it hasn't failed again..... This is just a starting point........ Am not "Shitting in your Wheaties", and hope it's an easy fix,and get on your way.... The 6.0 is a PI my A at work........
    Hope someone that know's WTF will take care of you......
    Anyone with a scanner that know's their stuff could tell you in less than 5 min's.....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  16. Bad news for sure. If you need wheels to continue on find a U-Haul lot and rent the smallest truck they have.

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I got my motorhome stuck under the light standard at the McDonalds drive through in Elko one tired evening after driving all day. When it finally broke free with a loud crash it ripped the ladder off the back of the roof, among vents and other things. I paid the dazed window workers, got my food and took off down the street, dragging 30 ft. of ladder, light fixture and wires still attached to the rear bumper.

No help but hang in there, shit happens.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great idea.
    I checked and both Elko U Hauls show closed Sunday (and probably Labor Day too). See if there's a Penske or Budget truck rental.
    If you can't find a rental or mechanic help and don't want to hang out in Elko until Tuesday, Grab the Greyhound in Elko for Salt Lake City.
    While in Salt Lake, price a rental (box) truck with hitch and a car dolly. Pick up the truck in Elko and tow it back to Sac.
    Had a friend blow a trans in Las Vegas and towed his car home reasonably to San Diego this way.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. We have a friend that is awesome and drove the through the night and picked us apart at 2 this morning. We are dropping my truck in Sacramento in about 45 minutes.and then turning around and heading back to salt lake city to pick up the original car we left for.

20. Good to hear you are back on the road. HRP

21. A good friend will help you get your truck home, if he's a truly great friend, you're both going to jail! LOL Good luck with your repairs.

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Glad you are going. Back to the original problem definitely sounds like the high pressure oil pump. I managed a fleet of 6.0's a while back and they were dropping liker flies. All pump problems.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good news - quite an adventure

24. good luck on getting your car and back to Sac....