Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help fitting outside door handle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Ford!!, Jun 24, 2015.

1. I tried fitting my outside door handle on my 46-47 Ford pick up cab and things are not adding up?? I purchase the door hardware from Vintique a while ago and never got around to fitting them until today. The first problem I'm having is the square shaft of the handle seems to be about 3/4" longer than my actual door thickness as shown in pic. The next issue is the square shaft does not go into the door latch square hole very far. It seems like it is hitting other square hole on the inside of the latch (see pick) I'm quite sure my doors are either from a 40 or 46-47 cab and was told they are dimensionally the same. Either way, the Vintique box says it should fit 38-47 pick up outside door (see pic). So I'm at a loss. I'm quite sure I have the right door latch as well (see pic). I can't believe I'm supposed to cut the shaft to fit as that could be tricky if I cut off too much. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

disclaimer: I know nothing about old Ford door latches, but I do know a little about repop parts in general

1. Use the handle to align the two square holes with each other.

2. Measure carefully, and cut off the excess length of the square shaft.

3. Install the handle.

3. 2X ^ I had a 46 and now have a 47. The "out of alignment" holes holds the shaft in place.
    Here is a used one that was not cut.

DSCN7311.JPG

4. Thanks guys. After posting my question I called an old timer who has been playing with NOS and REPO parts and said "that is the beauty of one size fits nothing" ha ha! He did say the same as you all. Measure carefully, and cut off excess. Simple enough! Thanks