Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need Help , First chop on my 50 Ford & a Surprise !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Please read the entire post and you will understand why I am stuck between to very different chops but one is more of a kustom with a chop . Please keep in mind I have NEVER done a chop ! So how hard will this be to do ?

OK I have a few ideas on chopping my 50 Ford tudor . I have never done a chop before and need some help before I try to tackle this job . I also have another very different chop that I want some very honest opinions on with the good , the bad and the ugly of this project ! Is this going to be way to hard for a first timer ?
    Now PLEASE be very honest with all the following questions and ideas !

I would like to chop mine about 3-4" . My question is how do you get the correct slope on the rear window to look right ? I am looking for the easiest way to do it . I have never done one so what all is involved ? Do all the pillar and post cuts need to be in the same line or does it matter . How bad does this mess up the front windshield ? If I chop it I will have to buy a new windshield , right . Side windows are flat glass and well that should be easy . Now if the rear window is cut out with extra sheet metal then just lay it in there on a slat and fill the holes in with sheet metal ? I don't have an English wheel to make sides . So will that be a problem ?

I am also toying with the idea of making a Ranchero out of the 50 Ford ! Any thoughts on this idea . I know they were made over seas but I love p/u and Ranchero ! I don't want a flat cut behind the front seat and do it that way but thinking of taking the roof and cutting the center out from side to side and bringing the front & rear together . The only problem I see would be a bubble looking top . Unless I make a short bed and have the front seat and extra space behind the seat similar to a cab & 1/2 truck . I guess maybe 2 to 3 extra feet behind the front seat for the spare tire , tools , speakers , and anything else to stick back there that would be in a trunk .

I am open for all opinions bad or really bad and then maybe a tiny bit good ! :eek: I don't care how good they are or how bad you will bitch me out for cutting up a shoebox like that . I need HONESTY or I wouldn't ask !
    Come on and give me your response, ideas and comments no matter how bad or good they can be to my crazy idea !
    If there are some good books to get or a place on the internet someone knows about , please let me know .
    Thanks again for all the help in advance !

Retro Jim

2. first i havent done a chop either but i would say cut the rear window out completely with about an inch of metal around the opening chop the top as far as you want then lay the window back in and move it around till it flows right

flow is the biggest part of a successfull chop if it dont flow you'll never be happy with it

if it were me i would stagger cut the posts(for strength) meaning cut the outer sheetmetal a little lower then the inner braces on the body then reverse on the topside

the front windshield is flat as well the side glass

alot of guys cut the front window opening out like the rear because the area above the windshield looks a little thick after a chop (evens out the flow)

as far as the ranchero idea i wouldnt do it if your car was a station wagon then id say go for it

there are few threads on here about chopping a shoebox id read them and look at the pics closly chris casny's build is a good one with lots of pics

3. Not wanting to be a jerk , but there must be 15 threads on chopping shoeboxes, hit the search ( I know everyone says that ) as for the Ranchero idea, there is a guy here that turned a 56 Ford into one and it looks great. He used crown vic trim