Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help collecting from deadbeat HAMBER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I have a problem with a deadbeat HAMBER that I sent headers to and never got the $ for the shipping for. I sent the headers the day after he wanted them, asking only for shipping costs. The headers were FREE.
    Shipping was $48.00
    That was April 17th. Today is the 2nd of June.
    To date, I have sent 7 PM's asking where my check is, and I have gotten nothing but excuses.
    I have filed papers letting the postal service know I have been a victim of mail fraud.They have copies of the PM's , him promising to pay the $48.00 shipping.
    I am contacting the court where BLACKTOPBUTCHER lives and I am going to file there. I may need a proxy to stand in. All they will have to do is show the judge my copies of the PM's I sent and received.

I am also the kind of person to spend $300 on a plane ticket to go to this guys house/business and collect it myself.

It's principle. I sent the guy his parts the next day, I have waited 6 weeks and still no $.

DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM! You will get screwed, I was.

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Thanks for the info we do not need that kind of activity.

3. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

And you pmed Ryan about this? or any other of the mods?

4. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Ryan is well aware, and was not able to acquire my $.

It does not take 6 weeks to write a check for $48.00

Mark

5. 5window

5window

Very disturbing. Good luck and go get him. I always hope the HAMB can be a last refuge where a person's word is their bond. It's rare we're disappointed but good to be aware of this miscreant.

6. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

He hasn't posted since 5/16, either. Mass. guys, anyone know this cat?

Tucker

7. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I know of at least two others that got burned by this guy.
    I can post PM's if you like.
    Mark

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What? Who else got burned???

9. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

that sucks...i'm dealing with one now that we worked a trade on some stuff that I sent out and he never sent me anything...been on here and dealt with HAMBers for so long you forget that there are deadbeats out there....

speedy

10. chiefbobber

chiefbobber
    from NH

where is MA is this guy?

11. I just started fuckin around the HAMB marketplace, it's like any other though man, there's gonna be some jerkoff's. I just recently bought some stuff from some people on here and pretty confident things will turn out okay since all of them have been on here awhile.

What we needa do is keep on top of these guys, I know we have guys in every area, we could "ask" not insist, on another fellow HAMBer to knock on the guys door. That should get some fucken attention.

12. Jimv

Jimv

where did you send the headers to?
    Give us a head start

13. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

This guy used to work for me when my shop was in Fitchburg .(I have since moved in Oct 05) Dont know where he is now - last I heard from him he was thinking about moveing to Cali. That was about a month ago, when he screwed up his face and needed the plastic surgery. maybe he did? This just sounds so different than the Steve we knew when he worked for me. I wonder what is going on. Steve if you are reading this -PM me.

14. RocketMan

RocketMan

How about creating a "TURD" list that we could check before buying anything?
    If their addresses were posted,locol HAMB'ers could drive by often to see
    if there were broken beer bottles accumulating in their driveway.

15. Jimv

Jimv

I have to stand with"chopshop" It really doesn't sound like steve, hes a pretty decent guy, very much into the car scene.I hope nothing happen to him.This is not like him at all( if it is him)
    JimV

16. Yanno with these guys standing up for him, something could have happened. It's possible that when this is over you'll get one hell of a story.

17. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Maybe it's best to watch & wait awhile. Sometimes it takes a little time for these kind of things to turn around. Oh yeah, & remember: buyer AND SENDER beware!

18. I waited a LONG time for an intake from him contacted choprods and a ew others that knew him and finally gt it WAY longer than I have made anyone wait and its no secret I can get slow at times due too life, he DID come through , but it took some doing and waiting :cool:,if life took a dump on him I hope all goes well for him.,if not -Dude ya gotta get on this stuff if your gonna sell kind of like the pot callin the kettle black , but i am Learning :eek:

19. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Playing devils advocate here- why did you send something without getting payment first? I wouldnt do it, no matter who it is.Just a suggestion- not again ;)

My gut is saying Steve is stuck between a rock and hard place with cash and may not have it now. Maybe the hospital visit was more than expected and they required $$ up front. Who knows? Maybe a local HamB guy can swing by where he is working now (or where we think he is working) and ask if everything is OK and get the right story. There are usually a bunch of guys working in the parts store in front in the afternoons.

I know when he left me he went out to start his own shop in the same building where I had beens-maybe his customers arent paying( we all know what that is like!) , or rent went up, or he was asked to leave, or something...... Not worth it to burn someone right out of the gate. We need to know more first.

20. I agree.He can be hard to get ahold of sometimes but I think he's a good guy.

21. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Karma is a mother F$#ker.
    he`ll get his dont worry.

22. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Why did I send something w/o getting payment first? Because I am a trusting Christian person. This guy has really ticked me off. I feel 6 weeks is PLENTY of time to write a check. If he had time last month to surf the HAMB, had had time to write me a check.
    I Have been more than accomadating to his situation, but I have grown tired of the excuses.
    A deal is a deal. He got the headers he so badly wanted to put on his vintage dragster, I GOT NOTHING but excuses.

6 weeks is plenty of time to opena checkbook and drop the thing in the mail, or at least have f riend do it and pay HIM back.

Mark

23. THECHICK

THECHICK

MOre trusting than peole would be out in our area of the country. I dont think he stiffed you but somethng is definatley up.

24. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

STILL no check. 8 weeks now to write a simple $48.00 check and drop it in the mail.
    No doubt this guy is a deadbeat, with NO intention of paying up.

I have filed papers. This person bought himself litigation over $48.00. It's going to cost him lost time, wages, income, etc, plus have his name ruined(if it already isn't ruined enough!). $48.00 dude. $48.00! Was it worth it!????

I am also looking at getting the plane ticket, and going to his shop to collect. Yes, I know I would spend $350 to get $50, but, it's about the principle now....and I keep my word, so I try to make sure others do too.
    I could use a vaca, so I am going to combine it with a nice trip to the East Coast......the upper East coast. Mass to be precise.

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell man, lets not piss you off. I understand though, while I was still in the Army my patrol flew from Perth to Brisbane to sort a guy out. He was messing with a mate’s wife though, she wouldn’t oblige him and he was stalking her. Don’t think he will ever do that again.
    Doc.

26. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Go up there and kick his ass sea bass.

I think my trip would be to Stockton wheel, and Vintage Speed...you know, see both coast....

27. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

This Really Sucks! I hope you get your money! and hope this doesn't affect your HAMB generousity in the future ;) I don't respect a man that doesn't pay his debts - If you make a commitment for a certain amount of cash - you pay it. Even when on hard times - a guy still would usually have at least 50 bucks accessible via credit card / something.

28. Clark

Clark

Just a little advise...do not accept payments. I got screwed by the biggest scam artists to hit the HAMB...Ruben Fuke. We had to press charges to get him to pay. He tried to pay us a partial once the cops got involved. We sent it back. If we would have accepted it the cops could not have done anything. In the end he shorted us $10 but I know he had to spend at least $20 of his own money to straighten things out.

Best advice for the guy that owes you is to stop hiding and talk to you. If there is truly a problem I'm sure something can be worked out. Hell he was nice enough to give the headers away!
    Clark

29. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

fuck, lawyers, fuck cops, fuck charges, and all that crap. find the guy, hav ea buddy find the guy and juts work it out. he may just need a smack in the head or a punch in the stomach.

whats worse than a deadbeat payer is someone who gets lawyers and cops involved.

I just about almost drive 4 hours an waited outside an airport hanger for a guy who tried to beat me out of 20$ waterslide decals i won on ebay sent the money and waited 6 weeks..then started emailing, etc. etc. . 8 weeks later, found where his airport hanger was, and was about ready to head up there with him knowing it, and amazingly my stickers and even more than my stickers came in the mail.

i hate laywers, and cops...and NOTHING is worse than a RAT.

30. McKee

McKee

In 1991 I went to the NSRA Nats in St. Paul....walking through the swap meet area I see a vendor's sign that reads "wanted ETIII Mags any condition, any price, anywhere"...I tell the guy "I have a nice pair of 16"x 10" ETIII's" ....well holy shit, the guy becomes my new best friend....he says what do you want for them,...we agree to trade for a Deuce rad shell that he was selling, he had 3 of them for sale....
    Okay I said "ship the radshell to me and I'll send you the wheels"...he says
    "where do you live"...I say "Toronto"...he says "where's that"...I tell him it's about 12 hours from St. Paul and an hour and a half north of Buffalo (haha), ...he says "great, I have a brother that lives near Buffalo, maybe you could deliver the wheels to him"....I get to Buffalo maybe once or twice a year but I didn't expect to get ther again for six months or so, so I say "okay, ship a rad shell to your brother and I'll hand off the wheels to him"..... he turns around, walks over to his lineup of rad shells and picks up the nicest one, walks back and hands it to me and says "you might as well take this with you now and if you could get those wheels down to my brother in the next while I sure would appreciate it"
    I just about shit, I offer him cash, he says "No", I offer to show him my drivers license, he says "don't worry about it"....he just gives me a mint Deuce rad shell and shakes my hand and says "have a nice day" and sends me on my way!
    The next weekend I drove down to his brothers house and gave him the wheels. So if you're reading this Kevin Secord, from somewhere in Wisconsin,
    You're a helluva guy!
    THANKS, THANKS, and THANKS again,
    Dave McKee

On the other hand, I acquired a joblot of bodyshop supplies which I trade off about $2,000.00 worth of Glasurit clear, white basecoat, and pearls to a certain local car club member, who works at a well known Toronto speedshop and is also the Canadian representative of a prominent east coast car show association, to repaint his 55 Ford in exchange for polishing a set of American Torque Thrust wheels (6), an Edelbrock intake for a small block Chevy and a pair of Cal Custom valve covers,...sounded like a fair deal?
    I give this douchebag the paint upfront with the agreement that he would polish all these parts over the next year,.... after FIVE years go by of listening to bullshit stories as to why he hasn't polished the parts we agree that he will pay me cash instead. Another year goes by and more bullshit stories and still NO MONEY!.....Finally he says "I'm not paying you any money and don't call me or I'll have you charged with harrassment!"

What would you do with this guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.