Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need emergency help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkey, May 8, 2010.

1. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Got the car in pieces in the driveway and need to get it back together before I leave for work tonight...Having problems with the idler arm...

Car's a 54 Ford Customline...Manual steering...

Idler arm bushings need to be replaced, but there's got to be a trick that I'm not finding clues about in the old chilton....

The outer threads of the replacement bushings are standard direction threads...(righty tighty, lefty loosey).. but the inside threads are opposite... Is there a trick to this that I'm missing...

Any help is appreciated...

2. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Problem is, can't figure out how to get the old ones off, for the life of me.... Can't get the bushings to back off the idler arm... once you back them off, the inside bites down...

3. Bossy

Bossy

You guessed right. Their are left handed threads on bushings. You need to unbolt the idler arm from frame and then you can screw bushings and ider arm out and back in then bolt it back on the frame.

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

yes