Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need Comment on Whether 1940 Chevrolet hood can fit a 41 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have what is believed to be a 1940 chevy hood. A potential purchaser of the hood has a 1941 chevrolet in another city. We're simply trying to find out if the two hoods were the same or similar enough to fit and be used. We realize that the trim on the 40 hood will be different from the 41. Comments will be appreciated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

different part numbers...but yeah, that's a good question. Is the only difference in the holes in the sides? or is there something else different? The 1940 chevy was all by itself, for the most part.

3. Hi Jim,

The '41 hood sides are part of the hood while they are separate on the '40. A guy might be able to turn a '41 hood by trimming, etc into a '40, but probably not the other way around.

Charlie

4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The 41 is quite a bit wider at the cowl than a 40. They look similar but i really don't think they interchangable without major metal work.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The '41 hood 'sides' are not part of the hood, they are part of the fender.

On'40 models they are a separate panel as you say. The hoods themselves are very similar, as shown in the pics, but as also stated, the cowl is several inches wider on '41.

Ray

6. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thank you gentlemen. Very helpful.

7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Absolutely no way.

8. aaggie

aaggie

The '40 Chevy is pretty much a standalone year. Almost nothing interchanges as far as body parts.

9. I have a friend who has a '40 chevy coupe, said the same thing.

10. 29moonshine

29moonshine

40 is by itself 41-48 will work

11. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The '41 cowl, front end sheet metal and doors are a one year deal too. From the cowl back.....roof, quarters deck, rear fenders....'41 thru '48.

Ray

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

So one could make a '41 Aerosedan! Cool!

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^. Yes, it has been proposed before and I have seen a photo some years ago of what I seem to recall was a GM prototype of a '41 Chevy Aerosedan. Maybe it was a "one off" by a hobbyist.......I just can't say for sure.

In any case, it would be relatively easy to mate a '41 cowl to a later Aerosedan rear body section but the doors are more problematic. '42 and later door leading edge, outer skin, and possibly the hinge placement, is different from '41.

I "think" the 2 door Sedan and Coupe doors are the same length as the Aerosedan, but the upper door frame is completely different among the three. I believe that could be resolved by using '41 doors with the '41 cowl and reworking the doors by grafting on Aerosedan upper door frames and using the Aerosedan's window regulators and glass.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015