Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need advice: SBC distributer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Hi Gang,

I need to replace my plug wires. One is cracked, and they just all kinda lay around all over in the engine compartment rubbing on stuff. So I get to thinking "It sure would be nice to have some wires that were the right length, and a cap that put all the even cylinders on one side and the odds on the other so everything was all nice and clean." I have a stock HEI right now, and it's pretty ugly, so I get to thinking "'Maybe I should just replace the whole works!" I searched here and on google but didn't find what I'm looking for. Lots of replacement distributors like Pertronix aren't cap-corrected.

I like the look of a magneto, but don't want to run one.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of a specific after market distributor for the SBC that has a corrected cap, high-voltage (45,000+ ?), no points, and doesn't look all billety? It'd be nice to find a cap that worked with my HEI distributor, but I'm not opposed to buying something else that needed an external coil.

Thanks guys.

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Hey Marc, a company called Madsen used to make a cap as you describe, I think they sold out to someone else, but haven't seen them advertised for a while.

3. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

I'm pretty sure MSD makes one like that, but I didn't see it when browsing Summit's site. I use their ready-to-run distributor, but it's not cap-corrected.

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You could run the 8360 and make a cap change... using number 8437 which is a socket cap

http://www.msdignition.com/dist_1.htm

or Mallory Unilite...
    http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandID=6&productID=4718604&txtSearch=4748201

Accel 71100E
    http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetai...jID=525&minID=5265&selection=0&minselection=5

My opinion... run the MSD

5. The cap is called a crossfire cap. As for wires I am interested as well as all the kits I have used are poor. I need straight plug ins as well as ones with an angle on them so I wind up mixing and matching kits to get it right. Useless

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

look in the taylor and accel catalogs. they have combination kits with different ends, cut to length. you would be hard pressed to find a set that is perfect for your dist, looms and header combination.

7. burger

burger

for wires i like to buy the taylor spiro-pro universal fit sets. the white script cleans off with laquer thinner and you're left with stock looking wires.

now what's all this talk about "corrected" caps? i thought the only one available was for the HEI and it was modern looking. crossfire maybe?

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

he's asking about replacing the entire dizzy with a new unit that doesn't have HEI terminals, but socket (points) style terminals... if I'm reading right.

9. burger

burger

10. Hey! It's post number 666!

Well, I looked around at some of the stuff you guys suggested, and I can't find anything close to what I want. Burger's idea looks like the best (cheapest) solution yet. Just run #2 and #3 behind and out of the way.

What I'm envisioning would look like a normal smaller style (pre 74?) distributor but the top would be shaped in some sort of cool way so it looked like a magneto or a crab claw. Maybe it would have HEI built in or maybe use an external coil, but it would look cool and the wires would all come out on their corresponding sides. Maybe it's just a well-styled large-style HEI distributor with the coil hidden by the cool crab-claw style cap. Look at my picture... nice huh? So, if this doesn't exist, would someone hurry up and invent it? My car is running like crap!

Attached Files:

11. gregga

gregga

Attached Files:

12. Oooooooooh! Those are cool!

But way out of my league price wise.

13. You can get a cap and distributer from Mallory or MSD that does exactly what you want it to do. It'll be a crab cap to boot.
    I'd probably go mallory myself but I'm a goofball, well that and MSD wasn't around way back when.

14. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Madsen sold out his business to the guys who became "Crossfire". They marketed his early (non-HEI) cap for a while. They then made an HEI version and eventually dropped the early cap.