Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Advice...Complete Traditional Front End

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 64ONEOFF, Dec 22, 2013.

1. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I'm almost done my Frame work on a 31 Model A. I have been looking at all the different company's That sell front ends. I'm looking for a 4" drop I beam, with spring behind and side steer. I also would like to have it complete with juice brakes that are 5 1/2" lug so I can run my 35 Wires. I have seen so many diffrent setups, but they all vary with the options I'm not looking for. If anyone knows a person or company that I can purchase a set up from, i would really appreciate it.Chrome is not important, but would like quality parts for a some what reasonable price. I see they range from $1800 to $3200. Thanks for your time fellas, This is all new to me. My first 30's car. :)

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Why not get or have a real ford axle dropped? 37-41 spindles, drums, hubs and juice brakes will get you 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. Use real ford stuff, it just looks better and will be way less cash.

Here's a pic of my 3" drop Model A axle, split Model A bones, new reversed eye spring and I've got less than $500 into it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. x2.
    Here's a complete '37-'41 Ford frontend in Pasadena, MD. $200 on the Baltimore craigslist.
    You'll need to freshen it up and may want to go with a '34-36 axle, but at least you'll be well on your way to a cool hotrod...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/4205025454.html

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I agree. Reproduction stuff loses value the moment you buy it. Original Ford parts are the best savings account you'll ever open. You'll need some new stuff, Posies front spring, shackles. Maybe kingpin overhaul set, often new perches, but most of the heavy parts should be from Henry.
    Speedway claim to be America's oldest speed shop, but that's not true. Henry Ford started America's first speed shop. And last time I looked they're still in business.
    Now I've got to hand it to speedway, their front split bone are very good. They are cross drilled and threaded for a suicide mount and the ends set up for tie rod ends. They also look and feel just like Henry's bones. I've used them before, and will use them again. I-beam should be from Ford or Chassis Engineering. There are a couple of people on this site who will straighten and drop an original axle for you for reasonable money. Spindles from Ford. Square backs work just as well as round backs and are more easily available. Brakes from 1939-48 Ford are available on ebay. Original front hubs are better and cheaper from Ford. I use the reproduction Lincoln drums for $125 each. These need longer studs in the hubs.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

5. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thanks for the info fellas. I really apprieciate it. Have a Great Christmas. LET THE CAR PARTS BE PLENTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Fenders

Fenders

So-Cal makes a forged front axle and Speedway recently came out with theirs.

Also, So-Cal claims a better turning radius with their axle, using the stock steering arms on the 37 - 48 spindles. (Anyone have experience with that?)

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Just get a FORD axle and be done with it.

8. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Get an axle from Sid. He'll drop it just the way you want it. He'll add a bit of extra caster for you. He'll make it to fit the components you want to use. And it'll be original pre-war Ford. It'll never fail and will always be worth money.
    I can't remember the last reproduction axle I used. Still got a CE axle I bought 3 years ago. Not found a use for it yet.
    Ford made over 20 million I beams. There are still to be found. I sent a 32 I-beam to Sid which was last used in '58 - stock car racing. It was bent like a snake! He's straightened it and is dropping it right now. So even damaged originals can be repaired.

There's an episode of The Waltons where Pa Walton drops his Model-AA truck into a pothole and apparently breaks his front axle which sets him back a few bucks he can't spare. Guess the script writers didn't know much about Ford Axles!

Twitter @edsrodshop

9. rykki_21

rykki_21

Ed thats good advice...but whos Sid? How can i get in touch with Sid?

10. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sid's prices are too high and He likes to sell 32 axles. Joe's speed shop which is just up the road from Sid's, specializes in Model A axles and his prices are dirt cheap. Give him a call and talk to him or the wife. www.joesspeedshop.com

wuga

11. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Joe does a great job,just had him do a 36 axle a few weeks ago was $200 including shipping back to me.Sid does great work as well,had him drop the axle for my 46 pu.
    Didn't think his prices were out of line.

12. Joe did two for me, great work, spindle-to-spindle about $550. There are several H.A.M.B.ers who also drop axles. You can get a set of juice brakes for a couple bills, if not less.

13. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I don't think Sid is expensive. He just did a '32 axle for me. It was "S" shaped after being used on a stock car in the fifties. He straightened it, dropped it, corrected the geometry and add a couple of degrees extra caster all for $230 including shipping to Florida. I'm happy with Sid's prices.
    Ed

14. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like a good deal. He quoted me $350.00 for a 32 axle 3 years ago. Maybe he's lowered his prices. Have always heard good things but was just shocked at the price especially when I wanted an A axle and he tried to sell me a 32.

wuga

15. Everyone wants a '32 axle, prob why Sid tried to cut to the chase and just offer one to you. As F-6 said you could prob get together an original setup for around $500 + your time and labor to get it set up right with a kingpin kit, shackles and a bit of cleaning and axle dropped.

16. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

$350 and that included the core??? You should have taken it. You will pay that these days for the core alone!
    Ed

17. Yep, last one I sold went for $320 un-dropped..

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

$250 for a dropped ready to go 32 axle sounds unrealisticaly cheap to me. Decent stockers sell for more than that. 2 years ago I got the I axle I posted above from www. ansonaxles.com for $360. That was him supplying the core axle, cleaning it, dropping it and shipping from California to me in Detroit. It's the 4th he's done for my brother and I. His work is top notch. Yes he is banned from here. Don't know why, not my business. He did one for my brother 2 months ago. No problems. Anyway, who ever you choose, make sure you get a Ford axle.

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

As a side note, if you need door hinges, primeisnotacrime above makes the nicest hinges you'll find. Period.

20. Thanks brother. Just trying to do my part to keep em on the road.

21. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Another vote for Joe's in Oklahoma. He's dropped a few for me and they are aligned perfectly in all aspects (camber, drop and straight as a die) Plus, VERY reasonable!!

22. ydopen

ydopen

One more for Joe. Dropped my 34 axle and bent the steering arms to fit on my spindles. He also magnafluxes everything.

John