Register now to get rid of these ads!

need a quick answer for my floor/rocker install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punkabilly1306, Jul 28, 2010.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I am putting in new inner rockers and a floor on my '53 pontiac today, and I'm looking at the body mounts and started thinking about something. The body mounts are "riveted" to the frame and I have been told that you are supposed to spot weld the floor to the body mounts. My question is "if the floor is spot welded to the body mounts, which are riveted to the frame, how do I pull the car from the frame when I need too?" I hope that made sense

2. dave s

dave s

i would assume you would drill the spotwelds on the floor.... at least thats what i'd do...

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

thats what I'm debating, do I still weld them or do I just bolt them?

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Body mounts are 2 sub-structures. There's a heavy channel type affair spot welded to the floors and rockers. That in turn carries a bolt through to the riveted frame mount. So, based on your question I'd hazard a guess that your floor/body mount support is missing or rotted away. In many cases you can buy new ones. Pics would help...

5. BJR

BJR

There are two different body mounts. The top piece is spot welded to the floor and becomes part of the body, and the bottom part is riveted to the frame. A rubber biscuit goes between the two mounts with a bolt through the center. Like an old Ford engine mount.

6. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

awesome, thank you ...that makes much more sense!! I appreciate the help guys