Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neatest old car you got for FREE?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldebob, Jan 18, 2009.

1. moparron426

moparron426

:eek::D:D
    thats not my Garage, thats where I picked it up from.:cool:

and I went back and cleaned it up for the lady that gave me the COE,
    it was the least I could do:D Ron...

2. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Got one exactly like this a few years ago, from my mother. pigpen

[​IMG]

3. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Hey coldwar. That is about the scariest avatar on the HAMB.

My brother once scored a fairly nice (not running, but not rusted or banged up) 1941 Studebaker, free for the hauling.

Not on topic, exacly, but back in 1971 when I put the '58 Vette away for the winter, I went out to Eddie Peck's junk yard and picked up a 1953 Buick for $35. Drove it all winter, and when spring rolled around took it back to Eddie and got my $35 bucks back.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. 1972, at home on leave from the Air Force. Guy in the neighborhood stopped by & we chatted, he noticed my '56 Fairlane I'd driven years before, sitting out by the barn. He said he had one like it in his back yard, it had hit a tree and had sat there for years. Mine if I wanted it. Went over & stuck some tires on it, dropped the driveshaft and towed it home SLOWLY. '56 Fairlane Victoria 2 dr hardtop, 312 Fordomatic, P/S, had black '64 Cali tags on it. Solid but crunched left front. Later that week I'm telling another friend about the '56. He says he's got a '54 Ford, and HE wants it gone! So I go over and do the same as the other one - tires, driveshaft, slow tow home! Ends up it's a Crestline 4dr, 239 Yblock, P/S, Fordomatic, rare power windows & seats. I'm using the '56 (twisted frame) for parts to restore my high school car, and the '54 still rests where it landed by the old barn, awaiting dissection/organ donor for some needy Ford (frame's gone, body's nearly gone too). Quite a memorable leave, for sure!

5. kevinc

kevinc
    from highland

got my little bro a 66 dodge coronet when he turned 16. was gona pay the guy for it and he ended up giving it to me and towing it the house for nothing cause it was just sitting in the back of his shop, also got an 8 3/4 400 block and a 727b for it for nothing. but thats about it

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

neighbor gave me a 53 Merc 2dr sedan - V8 was gone, but the stick tranny was still in it. Good shape over all, but no hood and the windshield was badly cracked. We found a used 303 Olds with stick flywheel, bought an adaptor and took the windshield the rest of the way out, and drove it around for about a week till a cop stopped us and told us you can't drive around without a windshield. We sold it to a friend's dad who actually fixed it up a little bit and made a nice street rod out of it. This was in about 1960 or so. My first father-in-law gave me a 'free' 57 Buick wagon once - but I wasn't 'about' wagons so I traded it for an M38 Jeep.

dj

7. Now that's funny!

8. h0twired

h0twired
    from Winnipeg

I got my 36 5w for free.

Unfortunately it was because my dad passed away.

Would happily give it back if I could watch him finish it.

9. May Pop

May Pop

I got a 64 more door Chevelle from my uncles sister inlaw. Her kids were driving somewhere and the car overheats. they stop at a gas station and fill the crankcase with water. Guy at station catches what they did . Drains engine,changes oil and sends them on there way. Their dad thinks the engine is shot so gives it to the black sheep family[me]. I drove that car delivering pizzas for 2 years. Put a syncro first trans from a Buick in it and beat it for another year. Then gave it to my little brother who drove it 2 more years. He sold it to Dads neighbor in Chicago who totaled it 1 week later.
    Got a 69 GTX and a Coronet convert from a kid in high school cause his parents told him to get rid of them.Both had 440s in them. Traded them for a Jeep? Dumb move I geuss. A year or so later I got the 440 and 727 out of the GTX and tossed it into a Scout II. Ended up a super fun truck to drive. Got at least 6 VWs over the years .
    The trick to getting free stuff is be available,have somewhere to put the junk,ALWAYS ASK nobody knows you want the stuff if you dont ask. The worst is they no.

10. got a 48 Austin Devon 4 door for free just a couple years ago. It belonged to a friend in Alaska and he wanted me to restore it. After he found out how much it would cost, he deferred and sent me the title. thing started right up with a new fuel pump. My dad gave me a 55 chev and a 69 Cadillac. My son still has the caddy with just over 70k miles on it. Sadly, the 55 was sold to finance part of an adoption.

11. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Kinda given one... Was offered a chopped 32 Ford truck cab (almost 20 years ago). I looked at it then as "What would I do w/that?"

So left it in the field.

12. 49meteor

49meteor

13. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

free a friend gave me a 65 chevelle lowered, tiny steering wheel. almost free. in 1978 i went from oregon to L.A. and my brother sold me a 64 gto in rattlecan grey primer. tri power, 4 speed, posi 2 door for $50 with no papers (was a repo and he just never registered.). i drove back up to oregon and at xmas drove back to L.A..i had another car up north a, 63 bonneville, so i wrote $250 dollars in the dirt on the door and some guy bought it at a restaurant parking lot. just 5 years before that i remEmber buying a nice 56 thunderbird in a yard sale for $700 and a 58 corvette for $500. paid $80 for my indian chief basket case in 75 but gave the guy $100 because he didn't have change. aw those were the days. those are the cheap ones that got away. miss them but thank God for the junk i have now after life, children etc and having to get rid of stuff to stay afloat....vaya con Dios

14. dachsi65

dachsi65

OK Heres mine. My EK Holden was sitting outside a car yard in an outer suburb of Melbourne in the early eighties. I asked the car yard guy how much and he said it had been dumped there and I could take it. I towed it home with dad & painted it with the vacuum cleaner, lowered it bad, twin carbs,extractors, alloys, tramp rods, floor shift n stuff. Even a charger fuel filler cap for $5 bucks brand new at bendigo swap meet ( The guy had a box full of em ) Spent a lota money on cars now but I reckon it was the most fun. Everything I got for nicks but now is collectable.

Attached Files:

15. bluestang67

bluestang67

1948 Chevy Fleetmaster 2 dr Business Coupe . 1981 someone i worked with had it in his garage a builder from back then. Me being a car nut had a 65 Falcon 2 dr and was amazed the first time i seen it in his garage . Well he was moving and he gave it to me for free clean car from Kentucky with only to rust holes in the front fenders. Well later about 1992 i traded it for a 64 Falcon to hopefully get my oldest son into cars but it never worked . He takes them to the Dealer all the time now sure wish i had that clean car back .

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

'51 Olds 98 (not 88) in great shape.

17. i got a 67 impala wagon for my 21 st birthday from my neighbor 327-turbo400 and a 12 bolt rear-pulled the motor, trans, and rear and scrapped the rest of the car

18. I got a (shhhh!) '79 Camaro from a guy leaving Germany to get stationed back to the US, for absolutely ZIP! This was in 1990. It was a 250 3-speed car with few options, but it ran great, and it was free! Got a few other freebies over in Germany, too, since selling a car was sometimes a real PITA, and the guys going back to the US would give their car to whomever, or sell it filthy dirt cheap.

19. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

I was about 15 and looking for an old car my family was going to a little lake to swim. On the way back my mom said lets stop and talk to weird uncle bill! Dad gets out of the car cause all these crazy dogs I can just see the front of an old car. Dad ask him if its for sale he says no we get ready to get back in the car looks at mom and said do I know you. She said yes uncle he turns and looks at dad if you want it take it we go to get car he gave me brand new fenders for my 46 ford. I miss weird uncle bill.

20. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

73 vw beetle and 69 caddy hearse

21. bonesy

bonesy

When I was in school, I detaild a couple of cars for a guy. He gave me a perfect '63 Sub as the tip. I loved it, wish I still had it.

22. edweird

edweird

Got thisun for free.

Attached Files:

23. I got this 34 Vicky forthe effort of loading it

[​IMG]

zoning gestapo were after him to clean up the yard after the yuppies built in the area behind him.....

24. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Only thing I ever got for free was a piece of junk sand-rail style dune buggy,built on what was left of a '65 Beetle chassis. Came with the engine,all apart in boxes. Ended up cutting it up and giving it to a scrap guy my uncle knew,but I did manage to sell some of the engine parts on evilbay.

25. I heard that the city told a guy he had 30 days to remove a 38 chevy p/u or else. Me and a buddy came alone about that time and he said if ya want it it had to go today. We borrowed a trailor and drug it on. Now we didn't have a place for it either but we remembered another guy that might let us store it. Well he wasn't home so we unloaded it anyway amoung his other junk. A few years later another friend said that he wanted an old truck. I said, DO YOU HAVE A TRAILER?

26. dmw56

dmw56

My sister gave me her 63 Thunderbird and my Uncle gave me his 65 Rambler Classic 660.

27. skull

skull

1933 dodge body this summer
    l want the body to look like or the shortend pic or the photoshopped pic,,, and then a bright red paint job!!

2 trailer's full of model T parts

PROJECT CHEAPSHOT:
    is the name l gave this dodge project; not excatly a car but l have a free 1985 toyota truck that the l am using the frame to go under the dodge. l plan on using parts l have from other projects that were left over or saved from them. l am using the 327 and 700 R4 out of my old tuck l parted out, rearend is a 1973 camaro 12 bolt 3:36 posi l traded a set of ralley wheels for, seats are out of a 2003 hyndai that my friend gave me, paint left over from a roadster l sold, tires and wheels off a car l sold and the guy did not want them.
    hope to about 2-3k$$ when completed.

later:D

Attached Files:

28. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

A bad case of almost. One day late asking about whatever was gonna happen to a 64 Tbird. A really really nice Tbird in need of straight front sheetmetal. Doh!

29. junkmn

junkmn
    from melbourne

Mine was a 1936 terraplane sedan, given to me in a million pieces, jeez wish I still had it today, theres something really unique about these odd 30's classics, Its kinda cool being the 'local car guy' locals are always offering me old cars, some cool some not so cool, hass its advantages and disadvantages.

30. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

A friend gave me his 1952 Lincoln Capri Hardtop that he bought new.
    He put a 430 lincoln in it in the 60,s and parked it in the 70,s.
    Thats it when he got married
    Thanks George!!!

Attached Files: