Register now to get rid of these ads!

Narrow steering rack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuck_S, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

I am looking for a rack and pinion steering rack for mounting in front of axel that is narrower (pivot points closer together) than the Mustang II.
    Any ideas? -- Chuck

2. try the chevy cavaler rack.

3. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

Thanks - I am working on a custom IFS application that the mustang rack will cause bump steer. -- Chuck

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Hmmmm...I must be thinking of a different Cavalier. :confused:
    The ones I've seen had rear steer, center mounted inner pivot style R&P.
    Mustang is front steer with inner pivots at the rack ends...

What year or series Cav's had front steer?

I'd go to the Pick a Part with a measuring tape and look under some bumpers...starting with a Chevette.

5. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Narrow a mustang manual rack. They are really easy to narrow.

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

7. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

volvo rack i couple inches narrower
    wayne

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Check the racks on some dragsters. Ashley Webb's roadster runs a rack from a fueler.

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I dont think thats a good idea, most dragster racks are tiny and are not at all designed to take the load of a road worthy car with a heavier tire load.

http://www.speedproductseng.com/rack-pinion.html

they are also rear steer. can be run up front but you have to install them upside down. They dont have bearings or bushings to ride on either, hardened steel to aluminum case, probably wont last long on a street application

10. Should have read it better, did not see the front part. yes they are rear mount not front.

11. Check with Fatman Fabrications in Charlotte, NC. hey built one for my Fiat Topolino sedan Delivery that needed to be very narrow.

12. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Flaming River has got what you want.

13. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I have a narrowed pinto rack on my thames and always wondered how did they do it? Is it really that easy to do?

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

15. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

Thanks for the info guys. I plan to use a power rack so will have to do some looking. -- Chuck

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

You need a rack from a Dodge Intrepid, (Chrysler Concord, Eagle Vision) 93-97. They are a power front steer with center mount inners like a Cavilear rack and connect to a column with a 3/4" Double D connection. Gene

17. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

Just a little follow up. The pivot points need to be 20" center to center.
    I checked on having a custom made rack built and they are rather pricy - $500-$800 for a power rack.
    Gene - thanks for the suggestion on the Intrepid rack.
    The application for this is a little unusual. It is a '91 Chrysler Lebaron converted to rear wheel drive using a Mustang II style front suspension, a Plymouth Valiant rear end/4-bar with Aldan coilover front and rear. The engine is a 4" bore 318 with 360 crank, AOD etc. Wish me luck. -- Chuck

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Wow! Talk about an off topic car for here!
    Still...the parts could add up to being in something pre 65 quite easily, so I have to ask...
    How is it possible, that on a car so wide, you need to narrow a rack to use a MII suspension!?!?
    I would have put money on WIDENING the MII crossmember and adding an extension to the rack.
    Even taking into account the loss of the stock negative offset front wheel drive wheels and thus needed less width from WMS to WMS, you would think the MII would be good as it's designed at least!!!

I'm missing something....

You could buy a kit to convert FWD Daytonas into rear drive and they used the original front strut suspension with a new crossmember and a different rack to clear the oil pan.
    MII seems overkill...:confused:

19. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

I guess I am a little off topic for this site but I do also have '50 shoebox Ford and a Chopped '56 F 100.;)
    The Lebaron is a fairly narrow car and the rack lines up with the lower control arms. The MII rack must be about 23-24" between pivot points for the tie rods. I need about 20" to prevent bump steer.
    I inherited this job, a friend of mine had Mesothelioma (sp) and asked me to complete the car for him. Unfortunately the disease took him before I could get it finished so now I want to finish it in honor of him. I don't think there will be many more like it!! Thanks for all the input. -- Chuck