Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead Score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmyv, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jimmyv

jimmyv

I posted about a Nailhead in another thread. I just got home with it. It was in a 65 Wildcat I got the motor for $130.00 and the auto transmissions for $44.00. I was at the yard yesterday getting other parts when they brought the car out. I saw the Nailhead but I had already been there for hours and I was about dead from the heat. I got home posted about it and everyone said go back and get it NOW!. I was going to but it started pouring down rain so I went early this morning and pulled it. It's a 2bbl so I think it's a 401. They said the guy told them it was running but needed a new fuel pump. Not a bad deal for a few hours work and less than $200.00 for the engine and tranny.

Attached Files:

2. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

3. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

good looking engine, but its not a Nailhead.

looks like a Buick 300, also known as a pinhead.

still a good engine for a good price.

4. jimmyv

jimmyv

Yea I was just checking it out some more. It's the 300. Are they any good?

5. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

You're right.....I didn't open the pictures at first, but it does appear to be a 300.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

6. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

They're good little engines. Basically, they're a punched out 215 (3.75 x 3.40). The '64s had aluminum heads, but the '65s switched to cast iron. Light little motors and if I remember correctly the 2-barrel version put out 210 hp.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man to get a Nailhead It cost me 2g and I still need new heads for it! No worries, they are being built in the US for another 3g!

8. repoguy

repoguy

You need to find Sean Etson over there at the V8Buick forum. He's "thee" 300 guy.

He's got a FAST 300 powered Buick Special (I think it's a special, and I also think he's holds the record with this motor at the track). He'd be the guy I'd consult if I was building one.

Good luck.