Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nailhead radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ilikeflatblack, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ilikeflatblack

ilikeflatblack
    from HASLET, TX

I have a 425 nailhead punched 0.30 over. I have a radiator in it and the car is runninig hot. The motor is is newly rebuilt and trying to break it in. What size radiator would work in a small space i will redo the grill if i have too. It's in a 1932 chevy coupe........ Help!!!!!!

2. speed-kings

speed-kings

What radiator are you running? What size?

3. birdman42

birdman42

I run a Griffin ratrod series rad. in an Oliver tractor grille.It is 16 1/2 in. wide and 26 in tall.I am running a .030 over 350.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Timing is also critical on the Nailheads. This can give it overheating issues real quick. Maybe some more information on the engine as well as the radiator.

5. ilikeflatblack

ilikeflatblack
    from HASLET, TX

z-man it has a mild cam and running 4 2g carbs on gear drives log intake. have external trans cooler. stock dist with points. griffin said to run a 19 wide 28 tall 2row with 11/4 tubing @ $375 +55 for shipping. is there a alt or bite the bullet. i'm in texas so it gets hot here.what should the timing be set at.

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a 401 nailhead behind a radiator designed for the original 264 in my '55 Buick without a problem. I found it was critical to have proper timing, vacuum advance and a fan shroud.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

What are the cam specs? was it degree'd? I can't just throw out a magic number, I can tell you what the factory ran for them. And Tag Man is correct, a shroud will make a huge difference as well.